Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Cryostasis, old? good? It's a game mind.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_relea...leep_of_reason
    I enjoyed this, but it seems gog has just given up on being 'old stuff' exclusively with a vengeance. This game will strain even a modern pc.
    It's $9.99 so I guess that's consistent. 'Just sayin', although I'd Welcome more newish and DRM free content on gog, but the 2 price point thing and no DRM rules probably scare many publishers off.

Note: I quite like Cryostasis its well checkpoints well enough that the annoyances are easily ignored and the atmosphere is probably even better than stalker.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I only played it for a few minutes as it kicked my PC in the nuts when I loaded it up.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    One of my favourite games and one of the best stories in gaming.

Network Hub
    Cryostasis is awesome. If anything, releasing it on GOG will make it known for a whole new audience which deserves to experience it (if they can run it)

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    one of the best stories in gaming.
    This. Very well done and mature plot in ways. Can come across as a mite pretentious if you look at it the wrong way plus itís not totally apparent what the ending means if you donít pay attention to details / are not very good at looking between the lines.

Be warned: if you donít have an Nvidia graphics card donít bother (yet). Itís one of the worst optimised engines I've ever seen and even with semi-decent specs it can be a real slog on your system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    About what kind of systems specs are we talking here ??
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    ...So have they done anything to the game to make it run better? The general appeal to me with GoG (at least with the games I've tried) is not that they're old or good, but that they generally run with very little fiddling or configuration. Cryostasis, at least in the state I played it, was a bit of a dog to get started.

Think the devs closed the business soon after it was released. There was a patch they added which gave PhysX, but from what I can tell that made it run worse.
    Dont quote me on that though.

Quick google: yep they went off and made a studio focused on iOS games acording to wikipedia (could be wrong).
    Kinda like how Call of Cthulhu went I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    They're successful in this mobile games business. They opened a second studio in southern Ukraine. Perhaps one day they'll make another big PC game.

There must be a way to play Cryostasis with Russian voices. There was a torrent ages ago that swapped audio files and subtitles... If you're interested in playing the game, I suggest you take a couple of minutes and investigate. Try the 1C forums, or maybe start a discussion on GOG. The Russian voice actors are incredible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The general appeal to me with GoG (at least with the games I've tried) is not that they're old or good, but that they generally run with very little fiddling or configuration.
    This is why I prefer it when it comes to getting Win95 games to run. I can resurrect my old DOS library for the most part because I'm adept with DOSBOX, but I can only assume arcane majicks and machine spirits were used to bring back some of the early Win95-era games to get them to work under Win7 x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Quick google: yep they went off and made a studio focused on iOS games acording to wikipedia (could be wrong).
    Well there is money in the iOS sector, and the effort required to make Fruit Ninja or something isn't on the same level as a PC title like Cryostasis.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    About what kind of systems specs are we talking here ??
    It runs at a baseline of an 8800 with respectable (if chuggy) frame rates... and its best on nvidia.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

From an atmosphere and story point Cryostasis was (and is) top-notch. It does, however, run terribly on pretty much every machine.

It ran badly when it came out and it can actually be worse on some modern machines. I haven't tried the GoG version but there's a demo version of the original game, if you can run that I would bet you can run newer patches.

It's a tense game with an almost exceptional story, it gets stuck and weighed down by its actual game elements somewhat, in that it features samey rooms and enemies for quite a while but get yourself immersed in all that's going on and you really won't mind as much.

Now, if you DO NOT intend to play or have already played Cryostasis I would very much like to promote this Let's Play on Youtube since it's pretty honest, intriguing and above all, fun - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL091409632343AC51

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    This game is highly praisely, but I played it through and I dont consider this as a good game.

The graphic is gorgeous, as it ought to be since it was born as a tech demo for Nivida graphic processors. However, gameplay is the first thing of a game should be evaluated. Gameplay for this game is too simply, sometimes naive. It's a very old school shooting, and each time you face only one to two enemies, I guess this is because they cannot come up with a more sophisticated AI system. And even for that one to two enemies in a single arena you will not observe any presence of AI. They just move slowly run around randomly for you to shoot at.

And puzzle solving is too simple to speak of. You basically follow some simple path and everything will run itself.

Of course, games these days are not just games, they are multimedia entertainment. I must say that the story is super great, and atmosphere is very touching.

And here this game's price falls to around USD5, if they have stocks that is, and those stocks are often offered in clearance. I missed this game much though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Gog have stated that they aren't focused on old games anymore, or even good ones. They aren't called "good old games" anymore, they are "GOG". Probably because they got fed up of people complaining about the age and quality of every game they started to sell ;-)

Well, actually because they wanted to make more money and because other online stores all started selling old games too.

Personally I think it's a shame, as i liked the focus on old classic dos games... it gave a nice feeling of nostalgia.
    (though most of the games i bought on gog were the more recent ones, so it didn't make them much money).

GOG had a large survey I think last year where they asked about old / new games. The gamers (including yours truly) overwhelmingly said they'd like old and new games alike as long as they are without DRM and with the usual GOG service.

As for Cryostasis, I played it but quit because I was too scared. :)
    I'll give it another try.

Network Hub
    I paid about five times more for Witcher 2 on GoG than I have ever paid for any single game on non-GoG services. The other stores only sell rentals, and I value their offerings accordingly. So if GoG can offer new(ish) games I'm interested in, without DRM, they stand to make far more money from me than e.g. Steam ever has.

There's also the point that just selling old games is a dead end as far as individual customers are concerned. I have bought maybe fifteen games from GoG, and can think of a couple more which I'd buy if GoG were to offer them, but not many more than that. (Unless they were to expand into arcade and console emulated games...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Why is it a dead end? As long as games continue to be made there will be old games that need some love.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One of my favourite games, the atmosphere is amazing, it looks really beautiful, and I really liked the story. They really nailed the claustrophobic aspect and the fear of what awaits round the next corner. The gameplay is a bit slow, to reflect 'realism' and the arctic conditions taking a toll on movement/speed, but it's not a run 'n' gun game so it's fine. There were a couple of points where I was frustrated but overall it's really good. I m always sad to see this game offered, like STALKER and Metro 2033, for ridiculous prices. It's worth so much more.

At the time I played it with a Q660 (I think) and a GTX 275 and was playing ok with most eye-candy on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Best part of Cryostasis IMO is that one level with small cinema theater and that cinema sequence, you know what I'm talking about if you played. Everything else was mostly ok if you overlook the fact that ATI users have to run it on 640x480 to have a bearable framerate. Ending was fine, though that Hitler soundbite in left ending felt really unnecessary. I mean, I get that the vice Captain guy behaved as an asshole the whole time.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 19-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Why is it a dead end? As long as games continue to be made there will be old games that need some love.
    The specific value of GoG selling "old" games has been that many of those 80s and 90s games wouldn't work on new computers without tweaks, and/or have not been conveniently for sale elsewhere. I don't see new games "getting old" in that sense anymore, so once you have bought all the 80s and 90s games you want from GoG, they have nothing more to sell you unless they expand into "new" games. Which is what they have done with the Witchers and now Cryostasis.