Help me choose a smartphone because I am Mr Lame and can't do my own research

Hi all,

I'm about to get myself a smartphone for the first time ever, and I'm trying to decide between the iPhone 4S and an Android phone. What Android phone would be roughly equivalent to an iPhone 4S in terms of power/capability? The iPhone is the easiest choice, but if I fancy developing apps I won't be able to do that on an iDevice since I don't have a Mac.

I don't know what to pick, and I need to get my order in tomorrow morning (for reasons too arcane to go into here).

Help!

I've heard great things about Samsung's Galaxy series, especially the Galaxy Nexus. A friend of mine has the Galaxy S2 and adores it, but he's kind of crazy for smart phones for some indecipherable reason...

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I know little about smartphones, but I have an HTC Sensation and it's quite nice. It's a bit bigger than an iphone, but smaller than a Galaxy S2.

Yes that's correct. Iphone is first choice of mine also.It has cool applications for users.It is so expensive but it has nice features comparing to other android smart phones.

Network Hub
    Really depends on what OS and various web services you use, what you expect to do with the phone, and what size is OK.

iPhone 4S is all around solid but barely better than 4, so a cheap 4 would be much better value if you can get one.
    Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Note are some of the most solid droidphones around. I would only buy SII if it was a lot cheaper than Nexus; it's a very good phone in all other ways but the higher resolution on the newer phones is very nice.
    Whatever you buy, you really should see it in person.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronypaul View Post
    Yes that's correct. Iphone is first choice of mine also.It has cool applications for users.It is so expensive but it has nice features comparing to other android smart phones.
    Oh fuck, knew we shouldn't have mentioned the I-word. ireported this post.

Network Hub
    Get a phone with an OLED screen. Screw 'retina' displays- until you have seen real blacks and really lush, vivid colours like those on the S2 and the Nexus to name but 2, you won't know what you are missing.

So what did you get?
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Out of general laziness, I just plumped for an iPhone 4S since that's what the other people were getting and it's what was first offered to me. It's a work phone, though they're totally lenient about personal calls and putting whatever apps I want onto it.

Not sure when it'll actually arrive, but that just gives me time to find a pile of games I want. Critter Crunch for sure, and Flight Control.

Oh pants. Critter Crunch isn't available in the UK! Why!? Waah!

I honesly haven't ended up playing a lot of games on my smartphone(Samsung G2). The apps I mostly use are BeyondPod (great podcast manager. I listen to podcasts whenever I go for a walk) and Lapse It Pro(timelapse photo-sequence capturing-app).

When I do play something, it's usually Super Stickman Golf. Love that game.