Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

A step up from cow-clickin'.. recommendations?

My girlfriend recently expressed interest in playing more games on her mac. Most of the games she's played have been on her mobile phone lately, especially those of the farmville type. She's aware of the moneygrubbing nature of these games, she just likes the casual building and progression.

So I was wondering if there are games of that type, hopefully a bit more complex, which deal with building a community or civilisation/town. Not something like Sim City and Civilization. I mean I don't begrudge her liking for these mobile games, I'd just like to offer some alternatives (gave her a mobile humblebundle some time ago).

Any suggestions which are available for MacOS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Farm for your Life (PC and Mac) is Farmville with a slightly greater purpose (and a lot less money-grubbing)

http://www.farmforyourlife.com/

It's been bundled many times so should be findable super-cheap I'd imagine.

That or leap the other way and give her Banished ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Sounds like you want something like Settlers or Tropico, or maybe one of the older Sim Cities. They're less involved than Sim City 4. Unsure on Mac availability.

Alternatively, set her up with Harvest Moon on an emulator, or get her to play the Sims if she's somehow not aware of its existence already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Worth repeating the local mantra which is "The Settlers is not a builder game - it's a supply-chain-management game" :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    And Banished isn't so much a builder game as the ninth level of hell. We’re all taking a few liberties here.

How about King of Dragon Pass? It’s colourful, there’s hundreds of choose your own adventure events, and it can be quite a challenge to make a village flourish. It's survival-based, but unlike Banished it doesn't feel like you're only holding off the inevitable (at least on the lower difficulties).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    And Banished isn't so much a builder game as the ninth level of hell.
    It's a little bland and repetitive but that seems like an overstatement.

To the thread topic, I'd think Tropico might be the best way to go. It's dirt easy, but has a fair amount of variety.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    The new SimCity is pretty awesome IMO actually, though I imagine not everyone here is a fan.

Just feels restricted, but I doubt a newer player would be so bothered about it anyway. Gorgeous game too.

It's kind of more of a strategy game than a city builder in some ways, with how resources are distributed and stuff like garbage collection goes, some quirks with that system, but overall pretty nice.

On the US Amazon site it's on sale for like $15 too, good price for the game if you ask me. I got it for $20 on a similar sale a few months ago, worth it I think.
    Last edited by rockman29; 01-09-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post

To the thread topic, I'd think Tropico might be the best way to go. It's dirt easy, but has a fair amount of variety.
    Thing is, she has little experience with a lot of game genres. It took quite a while before she got used to playing WoW, for instance. But I'll keep it in mind. Banished, for instance, is definitely not what I'm looking for. I'd rather show her civ than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm-Hmm. View Post
    Thing is, she has little experience with a lot of game genres. It took quite a while before she got used to playing WoW, for instance. But I'll keep it in mind. Banished, for instance, is definitely not what I'm looking for. I'd rather show her civ than that.
    Well, for what it's worth, Tropico (the original) was my wife's first real city builder back in the day, and she loved it to death. I would think Trop 3 would be a good introduction to the genre, I can't speak to the newer ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Well, if she wants to build things, what better option than Dwarf Fortress!?

I jest, I jest.

I know it's not what you're asking for, but maybe Minecraft could tickle her fancy? Build castles and glass houses and whatnot?
    Terraria could also be worth a look, but it doesn't support MacOS.

How about any Kairosoft game? Just pick the one she's most into since they are basically all the same except for the theme.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anno 1404 maybe? I only played it a bit but i got feeling it might be ok option.

I picked up a game for very cheap called 1849 which is like an old west city builder. It's very simplified and looks kinda like one of those FB games but at least there is an actual game in there.

Also I don't think Civilization V is really that difficult for a new player to get started with. Certainly easier than something like KoDP or Banished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Mostly just referring to the difficulty in this context. Banished and Dwarf Fortress are survival games where death is always breathing down the back of your neck, clearly not the type of experience the person fresh out of cow-clicking academy will be looking for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alternatively, set her up with Harvest Moon on an emulator
    This.
    I have a cousin, she isn't really into videogames, but she plays HM: Friends of Mineral Town like top competitive players play Quake.

Maybe Pharaoh/Cleopatra games? It's really good city builder.

Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader with economic campaing, although it's only few missions.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Well, if she wants to build things, what better option than Dwarf Fortress!?

I jest, I jest.

I know it's not what you're asking for, but maybe Minecraft could tickle her fancy? Build castles and glass houses and whatnot?
    Terraria could also be worth a look, but it doesn't support MacOS.
    Heh. :o)

Yeah, she's played Minecraft. I think she prefers something a bit more.. structured.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have a look at them.
    Last edited by Hmm-Hmm.; 01-09-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why not Civ 5? It's super accessible and is probably the most satisfying laid back builder type game I know of.

Network Hub
    Did anyone else read cow-licking at first? Or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Mostly just referring to the difficulty in this context. Banished and Dwarf Fortress are survival games where death is always breathing down the back of your neck, clearly not the type of experience the person fresh out of cow-clicking academy will be looking for.
    Err, Banished? Really? Part of my problem with it was that, even in my first game, there was never much real sense of danger.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Err, Banished? Really? Part of my problem with it was that, even in my first game, there was never much real sense of danger.
    Bear in mind I haven't played Banished, but... don't take this wild generalisation the wrong way, but after all the posts I've read on this forum you do not strike me as the kind of person who'd be that great at sussing out what regular folks who don't play too many games would get on with. I'm sure you did find it easy! (And you're hardly the only one who gives me that impression.) But I'd trust the RPS verdict of "Oh God, why won't these people stop dying" over yours in this context.