Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CARS

Activated Node
    Same position then. Oh well. I have GT5 and Race 07 to tide me over

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    So, I don't remember exactly but I think I joined at two levels above junior level membership. What do you recommend I should check out? Which parts of the feedback forum are most active and contain the juicy stuff? Haven't logged in since joining...
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Well mostly i suggest you check out the changes that have been made in terms of Physics, these are the important threads to check:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...ysics-Releases
    http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...s-here/page329
    http://forum.wmdportal.com/forumdisp...hysics-Testing

Try the Focus RS, Mega RS, the SRS , Atom, BMW M3 GT and some others mentioned @ those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanPT View Post
    Well mostly i suggest you check out the changes that have been made in terms of Physics, these are the important threads to check:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...ysics-Releases
    http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...s-here/page329
    http://forum.wmdportal.com/forumdisp...hysics-Testing

Try the Focus RS, Mega RS, the SRS , Atom, BMW M3 GT and some others mentioned @ those threads.
    thanks! I don't understand what I'm looking at, but will read the past pages in these threads.
    EDIT: Any discussions on gamepad gameplay?
    Steam profile

Its mostly the information about the changes in terms of physics, theres the second link which shows the discussion about them and the 3rd link shows the cars that have suffered changes lately and is expected feedback from :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm assuming this is a continuation of NFS: Shift/Shift2 in some way - and so I assume that like those games, you'll need

a - 3+ cores or a VERY good dual perhaps
    b - nVidia graphics (because those 2 games were Physx based and ran like shit without the right GPU)

??

Given that I'm still struggling to get Shift2 running at an acceptable level, I'll not be in a rush for this then :)

Project CARS Physx is CPU dependant, having a Nvidia or AMD will be the same, the performance is also pretty close especially at higher resolutions where the AMD win most of the times. You can see a recent benchmark @ http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/g...-vergleich/33/ its a german website but you can clearly understand the graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    a - 3+ cores or a VERY good dual perhaps
    what? NFS Shift 2 ran at 60fps on my old Core 2 Duo E8400 and gtx280.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    what? NFS Shift 2 ran at 60fps on my old Core 2 Duo E8400 and gtx280.
    Is it just me or are Mashakos's "it ran fine my my massively overclocked PC so it must run OK on everyone else's" comments getting a bit fucking tiresome!?

On my AMD245/5670 I cannot get it to run even at steady 30fps - changing graphics settings makes NO DIFFERENCE other than to how hard the GPU is working, the FPS doesn't improve (even in a lower res with 'low' everything).

I therefore assume it's CPU-bound - and CPU graphs run at near 100% on both cores which supports that. I mention the nVidia thing because a mate has the same CPU but a GTS 450 and things are quite a bit better, he gets high 40s in the FPS dept and his CPU runs at more the level mine does for Shift 1 (high 80s on each core) - so I'd assumed his card was doing some of the work!?

Even Mashakos and his 'much better' Geforce card would seem to support that idea?

It's slightly odd, because games with a more 'serious' sim handling model run AOK so I'd wondered if it was a physics thing at all - I'd assumed it was all the eyecandy in Shift 2 which was the problem (Motion Blur, debris, cockpit view etc.) - but then I'd have expected turning stuff off to improve matters, and it doesn't...

See also NFS: The Run - same problems, really...
    Last edited by trjp; 16-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Yeah it's definitely not the 5670, what CPU do you have? If you posted it before I must have missed it.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Yeah it's definitely not the 5670, what CPU do you have? If you posted it before I must have missed it.
    AMD 245 - that's a 2.9Ghz dual-core

Is it just me or are Mashakos's "it ran fine my my massively overclocked PC so it must run OK on everyone else's" comments getting a bit fucking tiresome!?

On my AMD245/5670 I cannot get it to run even at steady 30fps - changing graphics settings makes NO DIFFERENCE other than to how hard the GPU is working, the FPS doesn't improve (even in a lower res with 'low' everything).

I therefore assume it's CPU-bound - and CPU graphs run at near 100% on both cores which supports that. I mention the nVidia thing because a mate has the same CPU but a GTS 450 and things are quite a bit better, he gets high 40s in the FPS dept and his CPU runs at more the level mine does for Shift 1 (high 80s on each core) - so I'd assumed his card was doing some of the work!?

Even Mashakos and his 'much better' Geforce card would seem to support that idea?

It's slightly odd, because games with a more 'serious' sim handling model run AOK so I'd wondered if it was a physics thing at all - I'd assumed it was all the eyecandy in Shift 2 which was the problem (Motion Blur, debris, cockpit view etc.) - but then I'd have expected turning stuff off to improve matters, and it doesn't...

See also NFS: The Run - same problems, really...
    So the E8400 is a super extreme cpu. Right.
    why did you get a crap cpu?
    Steam profile

Mashakos you do seem to have alot more money for PCs than many of us.
    I'm still using the E8400 @3,5GHz (not as massive overclock as you had with it)

Anyway, does anyone know if the Project Cars tyre model has flat-spots and tyre-(wall)-deformation?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So the E8400 is a super extreme cpu. Right.
    why did you get a crap cpu?
    I bought it from the same place you got your social skills...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    For what it's worth, back when I was running a 4870 I couldn't get either Shift game to run, then when I upgraded to a 580 it worked fine. Had a Xeon with the 4870 (it was a Mac Pro, which may have been something to do with it but I doubt it) and an i5 with the 580. I don't think I've heard of anyone failing to run pCARS on an adequate-ish system (I can't remember the exact requirements as they are at the moment) but the game does seem to be very scalable and has a DX9 and DX11 version.

Quote Originally Posted by bad guy View Post
    Mashakos you do seem to have alot more money for PCs than many of us.
    I'm still using the E8400 @3,5GHz (not as massive overclock as you had with it)

Anyway, does anyone know if the Project Cars tyre model has flat-spots and tyre-(wall)-deformation?
    Its being implemented slowly but at a steady pace.

I bought it from the same place you got your social skills...
    I was actually curious, but guess this is some sort of a sensitive topic for you (?)
    Steam profile

Theres no need for this i think, the E8400 was basically the dual core version of the Q6600, back then it was a very capable CPU but its pretty outdated nowdays and it will have a hard time to cope with pCARS. Most of the Dual Cores will notice a hard time playing pCARS or any other physic heavy game.

Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanPT View Post
    Theres no need for this i think, the E8400 was basically the dual core version of the Q6600, back then it was a very capable CPU but its pretty outdated nowdays and it will have a hard time to cope with pCARS. Most of the Dual Cores will notice a hard time playing pCARS or any other physic heavy game.
    The early builds ran fine on the E8400.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was actually curious, but guess this is some sort of a sensitive topic for you (?)
    Not really, I love coming into a thread to highlight that an earlier version (I assume Project Cars relates to Shift?) required hardware 'somewhat meatier than advertised' and being told it's my fault for buying the wrong machine makes my day...

It's the reason I don't like RPS's occasional foray into PC Hardware, it draws-in people who own PCs to fiddle with them and then criticize others for their choices instead of just actually using them to play games or whatever.

Getting back to Project Cars - tyre-wall deformation!?!?

Much as I love the idea, there's a real problem with racing-games in that they're getting prettier but the feedback systems needed to compensate for our "not actually being in a car" are not advancing at the same rate.

We can't all own hydraulic seat rigs - there' no decent standard for FF - so we need to create games which feel like a car actually feels rather than having either a dumbed-down 'just drift it around' model or a hand-slapping 'oh you crashed model - but they're out only options atm and Shift tried to do both with limited success at either!?

I'd like some reassurance we're seeing a lot of polish to the basic game before people start taking about "tyre-wall deformation" and "flat spotting tyres" which they'd almost certainly not notice in a real car, let along a pretend one :)