Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CARS

Hi everyone, been a long time since i last posted. The main reason for this was the lack of any major news I could post for you guys to read, but now Iím able to do so and you guys will just go nuts for sure.

Letís begin with the best one so far, the FSA issues are now solved!

Thatís right folks, they allowed SMS to keep on going with the World of Mass Development but with some small changes to the system for the future Projects in order to fulfill the regulations imposed by the FSA. These changes will be known in the upcoming weeks when another announcement will be made and the announcement will beÖ.

(Drums please!)

Project CARS goes to NEXT-GEN Consoles!
    SMS is now an official developer for Playstation 4 and probably also to Durango (Xbox720) once it comes out, the development will be a side Project and will be known in the next weeks how you can participate in it.

As if this wasnít enough already more great news were shared with us by the Slightly Mad Team, Mercedes is now officially licensed and will include the following babies!

1952 300 SL W194
    1971 300SEL 6.8 AMG 'Rote Sau'
    1989 Sauber C9
    1990 190E 2.5-16 Evolution 2 (DTM racing version)
    1998 CLK-LM
    2012 SLS AMG GT3
    2012 C-Class Coupe DTM
    2013 A45 AMG
    2010 SLS AMG Coupť
    Are you enjoying the news so far? Hope so, because it isnít over yet :D !

A major update in the physics department was also announced, coming this week with a improvement tread model called FlashTread will bring the following features:
    * "grip" broken out into deformation, adhesive, viscous, tack, and tear models
    * flash effect (temperature variance through the contact patch at asperity level)
    * curing (race tires are not typically delivered fully cured)
    * water, including hydroplaning (which happens organically)
    * loose material model (for gravel, sand, dirt, etc)
    * tread wear (and flat spots do just fall out)
    (Ö)
    And much, much more :)

Itís still not over guys!

The developers also announced a new Formula to compete in Project CARS, the Formula C. After last week release of the Formula Gulf 1000 they mentioned that there would be another formula to compete with and this week they shown us the first prototype of the new car to participate which looks amazing but due to its early WIP state Iím not able to show it Öyet.

Thereís also a new sun flare tech introduced recently that is able to produce some of the most amazing flares we have seen so far in a game, still in a early state they will change and adapt to the weather conditions and time of the day giving you a lot of variety in terms of visuals, they just look amazing and you can see that by yourselves in the 2 images below taken by our community members Kmax1 and Kelnor34.

We also celebrated recently 1000 members in our Steam Group, all the important news and events are posted there in a regular basis so if you want to know everything first hand be sure to check it out, its open for everyone to join and you can also talk with us in the Group Chat.

Thatís all for now, hope you all enjoyed these great news and see you soon!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Looks like it's really going well for you guys.

Now if you'd just let me give you my money!
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Looks like it's really going well for you guys.

Now if you'd just let me give you my money!
    Now that the FSA issue is sorted that might happen very soon ^^

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanPT View Post
    Now that the FSA issue is sorted that might happen very soon ^^
    Will never be soon enough, I learned about this project right when they closed registrations, I was bummed as hell, especially seeing with every update how it's turning out to be better and better.

Can't wait to be able to join you lucky few.

Hi everyone,

So after the turbulence created by the big news of last weeks there's usually a calm, at least this is what you would expect... but i must say the fun never ends with Project CARS, so lets dig into the new stuff!

As you read last week, Mercedes is now officially licensed and to celebrate the developers released the first export (read as early WIP) of the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3.

As you might notice, for a early export it looks already really good, sadly theres no cockpit images as its still lacking a lot of detail but that will come out eventually.

Besides the new vehicle theres also some pretty hot stuff, so hot we only heard about it today, Oculus Rift Dev Kit has just arrived at the Studios and the PC Render Coder is already fiddling with it, expect exciting news SMSoon!

The community has also been attacking strongly the API and have been developing some pretty amazing apps for everyone to use, you can find some videos through Youtube and there's already an Android version available for the public to test @ Google Play Store

To finish this up here's another amazing video by Jonz showcasing one of the biggest multiplayer events in Project CARS:

http://youtu.be/-drjf517tY4

Hope you guys have enjoyed the new info, have a great weekend!

Please let us know when we can sign up again!

Will do so JonRedcorn.

A new month has begun and with it comes some great news about Project CARS development that i believe you will enjoy.

Two new tracks were announced, Old Northampton (Historic Silverstone ‘75) and Fort Felix (fictitious). The last one looks just fabulous and has been the stage of some amazing screenshot sessions by the community as you can see below.

There have been also a lot of amazing new implementations in terms of physics and car behavior into the game that have changed the feeling and the way the cars respond greatly.

Penalty Systems (Ballast Weight): Is a weight ballast system for performance balancing of cars/players, particularly in MP but also for single player stuff as well, they will allow cars with different performance levels to compete with each other in a much more balanced way.

There will be 2 modes:
    Manual - Ballast can be added to balance the performance of cars when setting up an event/championship for single and multiplayer modes by the event creator. Ballast weight can be added up to a maximum defined for each vehicle in 1kg steps.
    Automatic - Additional weight will be added to a player’s vehicle, up to a pre-defined maximum, based on previous race results in a series/championship/group of races in either single or multiplayer mode. This weight penalty would not have an effect outside of the specific series where Success Ballast is set to be active.

Air Pressure and Altitude Based Air Temp – Now it’s possible to generate air pressure (pa) and altitude base air temp based on altitude of the track. This will affect your car performance greatly depending on the track height which adds more realism into the game.

Volumetric Throttle System – This is a new feature that calculates torque output using an approximated manifold pressure. Side effects include air restrictor effects, possible better metrics for sound system to use, fun engine response changes with the atmosphere among other things. One of the things it will also do is change the 'neutral' throttle position - where the engine is producing zero net torque - to be much lower in the pedal's travel. You'll have much better precision over the torque and the sensitivity curve will change naturally through the rpm range. A great side effect is that you get much more of a feel for the clutch bite point from standstill. Because you have a certain amount of air going in to the engine at idle and air is directly related to torque, as the clutch starts to bite and rpm drops the air available produces more torque.

Brake Mapping - This controls the level of engine braking and is a fairly abstract value. Think of it like a vacuum line connected to the throttle, so that it opens up more at high rpm to relieve some of the intake manifold vacuum (the major source of engine braking torque). All you really need to know is that 0=lots of engine braking and 10+=very little engine braking.

Restrictor Size - This changes the size of the restrictors/throttle bodies on the engine to control the amount of power produced. This will ultimately move out of the setup screen and become part of the event setup, only adjustable by the event administrator. For now it needs to be somewhere everyone can work with for testing. As a result it's possible to create a 600hp Asano X4, for example. Honor system will be required for multiplayer with these cars. Do play around with this on the cars that have it enabled. A particularly cool one is the Caper stock car which has a minimum restrictor size similar to what was used at restrictor plate tracks in 1990. You'll notice that not only does the power level reduce from 650 to 400hp, but it also moves down to a much lower rpm simulating the choking effect of the smaller air aperture. Cool stuff.

So as you can see, all these features will work together, gone is the time of the large 'deadzone' when you start to press the pedal; the engine starts producing positive torque very quickly now and you will have a much larger range for modulation.
    Snappier throttle response at low rpm. A car's peak power may vary a bit from track to track. This is because we now use ambient air pressure as part of the engine torque calculations, so things like elevation and weather will have an impact on engine performance.

A improved tire model was also included, it’s a non-race able version currently, that allows us to see how flat spotting will work in the future and so far the results have been great !

Amongst these changes there have been some new info about Project CARS moving to Steam in the near future allowing everyone to access all the great features that Steam allows:

For those unaware, here are some of the benefits of the Steamworks platform:
    Authentication
    Friends system
    Invitation system
    Achievements
    Matchmaking
    Ranking system
    Leaderboards
    Ghost storage for all players
    VOIP
    DLC packages
    Community portal
    Digital delivery and automatic updates

These are just some of the great features and benefits but there will be more.

That's all for now, here's some images and videos for you to check out, also be sure to join us at our Steam Group for the latest news and info about pCARS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been a while since I heard anything re: the situation between their WMD funding model and the UK HMRC?

Can't see any updates on their site either...

What's going on?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    It was the FSA and I believe it to be all fine, I read something about how if you ask for your money back they can't argue with it and must refund you in full and some other stuff. If you contributed to the development of the game at all you'll get money back proportional to the effort you put in, I think. As all I've done is give them 50 euros and made maybe four posts on the WMD forums I'll probably get like 1p, if that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmm - there was a flurry of non-news in April - Ian Bell made a statement reminding people they could have their money back if they wanted it but AFAIK the investigation is still ongoing.

Thing is - they've been told they cannot offer an 'investment' opportuning so they keep saying "this is not an investment" but their previous statements and the concept of the scheme WAS an investment by almost any measurement.

I'm actually surprised the FSA haven't just shut-it-down and demanded a refund for everyone (in the UK at least) - I suspect it may end-up in development hell.

The fact they're now talking-up next-gen consoles will alienate a LOT of their existing backers too, I'd imagine.

Overall - more roadkill than roadracer?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Thought I read an update saying everything was fine with the FSA now, they just have to make changes for future purchasers. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: actually that was just from the first post on this page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Thought I read an update saying everything was fine with the FSA now, they just have to make changes for future purchasers. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: actually that was just from the first post on this page.
    I can't find anything definitive over-and-above Ian Bell's statement on refunds 'having always been available'.

The FSA don't move too quickly - if there had been a resolution the WMD thing would be live again and it isn't.

My guess is that this will go on and on - there's a long and not entirely shining history with Ian Bell and racing games - I'd not really want to chance my money in that direction and I'd suggest if you did, it might be time to get that refund!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Just found this on their forums. Short version is they will be offering refunds until release and won't be allowing anyone else to buy in before release.

Not sure if the forum is accessible to non-members: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...SA-FCA-Update)

As you are all no doubt aware, the FSA (now the FCA) looked into the crowd funding / crowd sourcing model that we adopted for WMD and Project CARS.

Whilst those enquiries were ongoing, we suspended taking on new members and allowing existing members to upgrade.

SMS has also been offering refunds to anyone who no longer wants to be a member.

Now the FCA has concluded its enquires and we have agreed to continue to offer those refunds, as a condition of the FCA doing so. This offer is made on a “without prejudice” basis which means it is made “without prejudice” to our position that we have not breached the relevant laws. It does however comply with section 26 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, which states:

1. An agreement made by a person in the course of carrying on a regulated activity in contravention of the general prohibition is unenforceable against the other party.

2. The other party is entitled to recover—

a) any money or other property paid or transferred by him under the agreement; and
    b) compensation for any loss sustained by him as a result of having parted with it.

3. “Agreement” means an agreement—

a) made after this section comes into force; and
    b) the making or performance of which constitutes, or is part of, the regulated activity in question

4. This section does not apply if the regulated activity is accepting deposits.

We have agreed with the FCA that we will make tweaks to the structure for future projects so as to avoid it being considered a collective investment scheme. We will also continue to offer members a refund and will not be reopening the membership to new members or allowing upgrades.

Otherwise everyone who is currently a member may continue to participate and enjoy the associated benefits - but anyone who doesn't can get their money back.

If you do want your money back please contact us via this online form (click here) and we will recredit your PayPal account as soon as we are able. PLEASE NOTE HOWEVER THAT ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR REFUND YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROJECT OR PLAY BUILDS ETC.

There is no time frame or deadline to this offer of a refund and because all members also enjoyed other benefits related to their participation in Project CARS (such as access to the builds) there is no additional compensation due to members who want to leave, i.e. we will not be able to pay out any amount in respect of Fees (as described in the member terms) and you will not be entitled to any Fees in future.

Above all we are very pleased to say that those members who want to continue to be part of the Project CARS can do so.

We are also in the progress of restructuring WMD in a way that means that you can participate in our future projects and will share more details of those plans in due course.

In the meantime thanks for being part of pCARS.

Ian Bell

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I may be old and jaded but I'm smelling a rat here - I think they know they're going to be made to hand the money back and so are doing what they can to dam the flow.

I doubt it would bankrupt them - I doubt they achieved that level of funding - but I'm sure it would be a financial issue.

If they had any hope of rescuing their concept (and they didn't - it was obviously illegal even to my untrained eye) they'd have done it - so I guess it's upto people who've donated to decide what they do.

I cannot see them being able to give much, if anything, back without admitting they've broken the law tho - so if I had money in there (and I don't) I'd look VERY carefully at this.

Meanwhile - the game continues to look nice but it's move to NG consoles switches-off my interest

So you think the FSA conducted an investigation, found something they didn't like and then... Didn't do anything about it? Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you but if the FSA want SMS to give everyones' money back, they will, and they'll do it now rather than when SMS want to. Or they would at least say 'hey guys, you know that money you gave to these people? You should ask for it back now' or something.

He just likes to cause panic where there's none :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    So you think the FSA conducted an investigation, found something they didn't like and then... Didn't do anything about it?
    Their investigation is still ongoing - they won't actually rule on anything until they're done - that can take a LONG LONG time - esp with situations which operate outside of the UK - e.g. where they don't have jurisdiction.

All we've seen thusfar is SMS reacting to the obvious issues they raised - the fact they were clearly touting it as an investment (not allowed) and are now going around saying "No No it's not".

See the Eurogamer piece from April - it outlines the volte-face and raises some other interesting issues...

I'm just suspicious that they were all gung-ho and then the moment a problem appeared they went schtum and stayed that way - if there was good news, they'd have shouted about it?
    Last edited by trjp; 28-06-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LeviathanPT View Post
    He just likes to cause panic where there's none :)
    No panic - I just wondered what was going on as you'd stopped updating us on it every 10 mins ;0

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Their investigation is still ongoing
    Well that would explain it, I'd heard that it was all concluded and everything was found to be ok.