Network Hub

Hackers (Gamers with brains) using unreleased on-disc SFX Tekken DLC in online play

"Capcom have acknowledged that some players are using unreleased Street Fighter X Tekken characters in online play over Xbox Live via hacking the game.
    There was previously quite a fuss over the fact that all the DLC for the game was on the disc.

Capcom argued that this would eliminate the need for a hefty downloadable add-on later or another disc version of the game"

More - http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/19/hack...n-online-play/

If it's on the disc, it's yours. By that I mean access to the data is yours. You've bought the game and all the data on the disc should be made accessible, not locked out so a key has to be paid for.

If I was one of the players of this game then I wouldn't mind being banned over this. I'd like everyone on Xbox Live to buy the game and access the characters on the disc.

Capcom can't wait to ban their customers over this -

“Yes, we’re seeing news of this. Quite ballsy for folks to be taking hacked Xbox 360s on Live where they are detectable,” he said, directly addressing a user question.

In any event, we already have opened channels of communication with Microsoft on these issues Friday night. If you can capture screens or video of this in action (as some have already) we’re working on bans for boxes and accounts with Microsoft for haxxors.”
    Last edited by Heister; 19-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The sad thing is, no one's even gonna try to do anything about this sorry state of affairs. Heck, I think many are going to say that these gamers actually deserved getting banned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm against the ban in terms of it being an Xbox Live ban, which isn't fair given that's a separate service, paid for on its own. It'd be reasonable to ban them from online play just for that game though, the same way anyone cheating would be banned.

If it's on the disc, it's yours. By that I mean access to the data is yours. You've bought the game and all the data on the disc should be made accessible, not locked out so a key has to be paid for.
    Were you ever promised those characters at any point when you bought the game? Unless they were advertised as part of it, I don't see the argument. There's leftover unused bits and pieces on most discs.

Edit -that said, I'd be perfectly okay with someone using them in single-player - own disc, own console, none of their business what you do with it. But once you take it online you're playing in their backyard, so to speak.
    Last edited by deano2099; 19-03-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm wondering if the issue at heart here isn't so much the whole "physical product versus IP license" debate so much as the nagging sense that some "hackers" may have gotten the better product.

...well, at least until they're banned.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm wondering if the issue at heart here isn't so much the whole "physical product versus IP license" debate so much as the nagging sense that some "hackers" may have gotten the better product.

...well, at least until they're banned.
    Possibly, but the it's on the disc so it's mine argument does seem naive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    It's not actually got much to do with Capcom - "Quite ballsy for folks to be taking hacked Xbox 360s on Live where they are detectable.” doesn't mean Capcom will be trying to track the players down, it means that MS often update XBL which detects dodgy hardware and makes it unusable, or automatically hands out bans.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Possibly, but the it's on the disc so it's mine argument does seem naive.
    Well, that was the "physical product vs IP license" debate. The disc itself is meaningless.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen