Obscure Node

Tavern Of Heroes : New indie game

Hey RPS forum,

We're a small team of 3 from Montreal, Canada. We're working on our first indie game which is called Tavern Of Heroes. It's a point-n-click RPG where you control a complete party of heroes (typical 5-man type, 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps). The game is written in C++ and is cross-platform (Windows,OSX,GNU/Linux).

The game is still in it's early days, we've been working on it for about 3 months but we have a couple videos that shows the gameplay and general feeling of the game, here's one :

We also upload our heroes on our imgur which is found here : http://optimgamestudio.imgur.com/

Here's our indiedb page, we will update it and use it as our main blog probably : http://www.indiedb.com/games/tavern-of-heroes

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the money begging part. We created an indiegogo project to allow us to continue the development as a full-time job. If we reach our goal, we'll quit our part-time jobs and focus on Tavern Of Heroes. If you can't donate but think the project is interesting, just talking about it or sharing it would be a GREAT help. Here's the link : http://www.indiegogo.com/tavernofheroes

Thanks a lot!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Is this basically Battleheart from the iOS?
    It is indeed the inspiration. I loved that game but wanted to add more depth to it (being mainly a pc gamers and used to wow). Also, the pc which gives a lot more control and faster reaction permits more enemies and a harder gameplay. Also paired with dynamic content generation for extended. It is not a secret that it was what made me start that project.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    No, wasn't trying to troll or anything... was just curious if I was right! ;) Good luck... it's a neat game idea, for sure!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    No, wasn't trying to troll or anything... was just curious if I was right! ;) Good luck... it's a neat game idea, for sure!
    Haha I wasn't taking it in a bad way either. Trust me, I get that comment a LOT. In the beginning, we aimed at a different art style to distance ourselves from it (example : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6959382/lap.jpeg). Thing is, our artist has school and a part-time job besides working on it. That art style, while being really cute :3, is also simpler and easier to produce a lot of drawings.
    Can't wait to have it more polished and more content added in it so people can see what I want to add to the concept. We're working hard to get a demo out asap :).

No offense, but I stopped reading at "tank, healer and dps". Strength of indie lies in going where big publishers don't dare to go - not in cheap main stream gameplay.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    No offense, but I stopped reading at "tank, healer and dps". Strength of indie lies in going where big publishers don't dare to go - not in cheap main stream gameplay.
    No offense, but I stopped reading at "no offense".

Cool game Battleheart - I find the idea that it was too easy to be rather unsettling. Needed clickable hero portraits though because selecting the hero you wanted became a nightmare when they were all bunched up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Interesting. I actually like the art-style, it works well.

What's the customization options for your heroes?
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    It's just the type of heroes if I could say. We do think that we have to making classes that are not in the typical RPGs. Like the alchemist character who throw potions to heal .. is still a healer. That is not the most original class but I promise we'll come with more weird, never-before seen classes ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever
    Cool game Battleheart - I find the idea that it was too easy to be rather unsettling. Needed clickable hero portraits though because selecting the hero you wanted became a nightmare when they were all bunched up.
    We added keyboard shortcuts to make hero selection and skill usage more easy to do. It's actually a lot faster but it takes practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision
    What's the customization options for your heroes?
    The customization lies mostly in the skills selected. We try to implement locations that have strength and weaknesses against certain types of heroes. That forces the player to play with pretty much every heroes. You wouldn't bring a fire mage to fight in a volcano right? There are other classes that have no pre-determined elements. The different paths in the skill trees will change how well you can pair the hero in certain location and with certain heroes. An example would be the archer class that could have a path that leads to fire arrows or frost arrows.
    There is also equipment choices. Since the items and generated randomly, there is certain items that gives special stats you might want to stack on a character. For example, you might want high crit items on your rogue .. or items that leech life. We'll try to make sure there is no cookie-cutter way of selecting stats.
    Last edited by OptimGameStudio; 20-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Obscure Node
    We just finished a new location that will be featured in the next gameplay video : The lost forest.

Lost_Forest.jpg
    Meh, tiny prevew, view it in full resolution here : http://i.imgur.com/cX67J.png

Obscure Node
    Way to go :)

Obscure Node
    bump, Working on Stat Bonuses, fun stuff.

Obscure Node
    statbonus.jpg
    Success :D

Obscure Node
    it's a neat game idea, for sure!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by HlydeDaue View Post
    it's a neat game idea, for sure!
    Thank you, your images are broken tho