Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

What are you watching ? Erm i'm playing a game ..

So as the title say,did that ever happened to you now when graphics have drastically improved over the years. That someone walked in while you were gaming and thought you were watching movies or some sport ?

I was just playing some PES today,preparing for today's match Chelsea - Barcelona,when mother come in and was like,what are you watching Markoooo haha :D
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Chelsea > Barca

'Nuff said

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I was playing Battlefield 3, my brother came up to me and asked:
    "So this is the infamous Battlefield?"
    "Yes, it's quite an awesome game, although I am having some performance issues"
    "hmm. Mabye it would help if you dailed down the graphic settings?"
    "It's already on low"
    "0_0"

On a side note, I do find Rayman Origins to have graphics that are better then several comic books and cartoon series. I took a picture of an ingame cutscene in the demo (globox dancing when he rescued some of those purple smiley thingies) and although I knew that that was an ingame shot, I honestly don't think that I would have believed that when I had seen it without playing the game first.

Say, is this somehow a vague reminder of that Chelsea vs. Barcelona Champions League semi match happening right now?

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I was playing NFL 2k# on Dreamcast way back when on the family TV when my dad walked in. He asked who was playing and why a game was on at 9am.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My mom did the same thing once when she walked in on me playing Madden '02. On Gamecube.

"Who's winning?"
    "I am."
    "Your team is?"
    "Well, yea, my team and I..."
    "Oh, you're helping them win, are you?"
    "Mom, this is a video game."
    "Oh! I was wondering why there was a game on a Tuesday night..."

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I was playing Battlefield 3, my brother came up to me and asked:
    "So this is the infamous Battlefield?"
    "Yes, it's quite an awesome game, although I am having some performance issues"
    "hmm. Mabye it would help if you dailed down the graphic settings?"
    "It's already on low"
    "0_0"
    I had the pleasure of taking someone who plays BF3 on PS3 and sitting them down in front of my PC running the game on ultra with a nice set of headphones and the audio set to "War Tapes", which makes all the BOOMS even BOOMier. I dropped him into a 64 player server and told him to have fun. As soon as he saw the visuals and the frame rate, I thought his eyes would burst out of his head. The first time a tank exploded beside him, he nearly jumped out of his seat. Needless to say he is looking into buying his own PC now.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Sod Barcelona. I'm watching a stream of the Villa - Bolton match.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Sod Barcelona. I'm watching a stream of the Villa - Bolton match.
    One of those games where you wish it was possible for both teams to lose.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

We call that a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Say, is this somehow a vague reminder of that Chelsea vs. Barcelona Champions League semi match happening right now?

I'm going to be offtopic here,but yes. Watched the whole match in bar with friends,one hell of a game,chelsea did allot of mistakes but same with barcelona,at the end better one won haha..yeah better one :D Anyway my bet is on bayern and chelsea for finale.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I'm going to be offtopic here,but yes. Watched the whole match in bar with friends,one hell of a game,chelsea did allot of mistakes but same with barcelona,at the end better one won haha..yeah better one :D Anyway my bet is on bayern and chelsea for finale.
    Bayern won the last match, right? If so, welp! Looks like no Spanish teams coming to the finals, this time!

Goddammit, Terry...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    If you feel like Chelsea was the best team there it says a lot about your football knowledge. 3 goals from 4 shots in 180' can be called effective or whatever you want, but fuck it was boring seeing 9 players in the area playing not to lose, like a 2nd division. Counterattacks teams like that require few finesse and tactical thinking, and they are a snorefest to watch. Now we totally deserved to lose if after 50+ goal opportunities we can only convert two.
    Last edited by pakoito; 25-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    It seems to be mostly sports games that are mistaken for televised matches. My girlfriend told me about when she saw her cousins playing NHL and didn't realise it wasn't real. I think it helps a lot, graphical fidelity aside, that the camera work in sports games is similar what you see on TV (and I suspect it works both ways in that the information overlays on televised sports have been influenced by video games).

It's harder for a non-sports game to be mistaken for watching something because they have a specifically 'game' camera that isn't shared with their TV and film counterparts.

So yeah, I think it's probably more about camera angles than it is about the awesome graphics tech.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    If you feel like Chelsea was the best team there it says a lot about your football knowledge. 3 goals from 4 shots in 180' can be called effective or whatever you want, but fuck it was boring seeing 9 players in the area playing not to lose, like a 2nd division. Counterattacks teams like that require few finesse and tactical thinking, and they are a snorefest to watch. Now we totally deserved to lose if after 50+ goal opportunities we can only convert two.

What would you expect from them,to play offensively just for people so it won't be boring..they had 10 players,they played tacticaly and won. Its not their fault Barcelona can't score or shoot,haha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Barcelona are nice to watch and very good but they only really have one strategy. I was pretty disapppointed by their play after missing the penalty. Looking forward to tonight's match; Real and Bayern may not be as objectively good as Barcelona but they come across as more "complete" teams with more options and variety. I think Chelsea will find it harder against either of those teams.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    It seems to be mostly sports games that are mistaken for televised matches. My girlfriend told me about when she saw her cousins playing NHL and didn't realise it wasn't real. I think it helps a lot, graphical fidelity aside, that the camera work in sports games is similar what you see on TV (and I suspect it works both ways in that the information overlays on televised sports have been influenced by video games).

It's harder for a non-sports game to be mistaken for watching something because they have a specifically 'game' camera that isn't shared with their TV and film counterparts.

So yeah, I think it's probably more about camera angles than it is about the awesome graphics tech.
    Sports broadcasts are also one of the few things on TV that have a HUD, the others being news, daytime TV and shopping channels; sadly the world is not ready for QVC: Online or This Morning with Richard and Judy: Awakening (although I do have a preliminary design document for the latter, but it will be some time before the technology is there to accurately simulate wittering and bumbling of that level).

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    No shit, that game was a fucking train wreck. It's got suck written all over it. Terry got sent off, Messi booked, missed his fucking penalty shot, Cech somehow got booked, too. Torres manages to score (finally!) but could be an offside goal that's allowed in... Man, I could go on but it had some fun parts.

Chelsea's still a better team than Barca, though

Network Hub
    I have seen three matches live, two with a friend who is a supporter of a local team, and there was at least some sense of excitement in being there and singing+chanting with the other hooligans^Wfans. But watching soccer on TV is like watching paint dry. Never watched more than a minute.

Well i'm part of our city's ultras crew,so when we go to watch football live we are cheering the wholetime so you can't just sit back and watch the whole game haha,so in some cases i do prefer to watch it on tv,because you can 100% focus on game. Watching it in pub with all other people is also quite cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post

Also that all those stadiums are easy to design (Copy and paste rooowss of seaats), you only have 22 really important people, and only five on screen all the time. You only have to model physics on one object (the ball), etc.

I do find racing games to be extremely realistic as well lately - but that is probably because the things you tend to look at - The cars and the walls - can be designed very realistically (many fps games need to modell realistic faces, in racing games you just give the guys a helmet!), and the enviroments don't have to be all that big either.