Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I've been trying to run around doing missions now, post-tutorial. But I get absolutely wiped out every time. What's a starter gun going to do against grenades, and special weapons?

Is there no matchmaking?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlobThing View Post
    I've been trying to run around doing missions now, post-tutorial. But I get absolutely wiped out every time. What's a starter gun going to do against grenades, and special weapons?

Is there no matchmaking?
    You should have got grenades in the tutorial missions. Check your email for attachments. The starter gun isn't actually at all bad, but it's still worth trying out others.

There is matchmaking but it's yet to be fixed properly, so it doesn't work very well. (It's going to be fixed by putting people of similar threat levels in the same districts, if I understand correctly.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    The STAR is actually a very good gun, but learning to use a weapon effectively is something that really only comes with game experience. It's perhaps less suited to solo matchups, which is unfortunate for new players trying to learn the game by themselves.

The hardest thing I found for me starting out was dealing with people with closer range weapons who'd rush me and kill me quicker than I could respond. On some missions the only way to counter this is to switch weapon yourself, if the objective is in alleys and buildings. In more open areas you need to identify 3 main things: the ways in to the area; the available cover; any well placed corners or rooftops. If you can see the enemy coming you're already at a big advantage, use the camera to look over and around cover and hopefully get the jump on them. Over time you'll learn to recognise the best range to open fire at so they can't escape or kill you first. A big part of good play is positioning yourself to fight on your own terms in terrain that suits you.

I think matchmaking works well once you have a decent number of missions under your belt, but it takes time to balance out and doesn't account for what you've unlocked, only your threat rating. When I started a new character I was getting matched a lot against other new characters who were clearly new players too, and winning easily because experience and map knowledge counts for a lot compared to pure shooting skill. Now my threat is staying Silver 6, which should make me an almost exactly average player (there's bronze, silver and gold levels 1-10). I win some matches, I lose some matches but they're generally fairly matched and truly frustrating ones are rare.

I took some screen shots of my new tattoos.
    Guild Wars 2: Infiltrator Dan / Cutthroat Dan / Vile Dan / Fervent Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan. View Post
    I took some screen shots of my new tattoos.
    They're quite nice, good job! - I myself still havent unlocked any decent symbols. Sigh :<
    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
    Oscar Wilde

Excellently maniacal Steampowered automaton.

Also known as Maniac, Maniacal Dane, Ulysses, (Mr)Centauri, Scorpion, Hyperion, Xerrow, Zaerow & a vast landscape of nicknames since lost in time.

I havent seen anyone playing APB for ages now...
    In case you'd like to play with me again, feel free to add me on Steam. I'm always online.

Steam ID: mrweed_93

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Can't find you on Steam, easiest if you just link your profile. I've been playing but no one's ever online at the same time.

I for one haven't been on as regularly as I could have, simply because I find the game a little too repetitive to play on a regular basis. I should still be popping in from time to time, but I've made MrWeed clan leader for practical reasons.

Didn't have time to get into it this week; I only ever played for short periods of time, and APB is ill-suited for that. I'll probably also not play much next week as I will be out of town for most of it, but I do plan on getting back into it after that.

My steam profile.
    And thanks for promoting me to clan leader, I guess.
    Last edited by Comrade Commissar; 03-07-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Can't find you on Steam
    Worked for me with mrweed_93 - just make sure you do not have a superflous blank after the name.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post
    [url=http://steamprofile.com]
    I should have consulted with you first, apologies. Feel free to make whoever you want the clan leader, I'm not sure who the most active player in the clan is.

I was on yesterday, for a while, but eventually ragequit after getting steam rolled eight times in a row. 'Tis a strange game - one day I can be (relatively) amazing, the next I'm farging terrible.
    Guild Wars 2: Infiltrator Dan / Cutthroat Dan / Vile Dan / Fervent Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post

My steam profile.
    Found you now. For future reference I meant the link to your profile page, e.g. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kelron is mine.

Oh, I thought the badge included a link to my profile page, sorry. :P