Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Returning to Azeroth - ohhhhh myyyyy head!!!!!!

It's been 3 years since I sat my last char down in Northrend and signed-out - a spate of friends leaving the game and getting myself bogged-down as an Addon creator (which kicked all the fun out of the game to be frank) left me without the will to continue.

Roll forward and this Scroll of Resurrection 'free Cataclysm and stuff' deal landed in my inbox and so I decided to take a peek - can't hurt eh? :)

Now it's one thing to create a new Worgen (surprisingly dull despite the top hats) and Goblin (Ratchet and Clank - much more fun!) and pounce around the new starting areas, but there comes the issue of awaking your other toons and staring in horror at their addon-free screens and crap laden bags and banks (over 5500Gold - is that more than 10p these days??).

My highest was a 73 Priest who's carrying at least 3 sets of armor (but no addon to remind me which bits are for what), no talents and a million skills I can't remember the purpose of!!

Then there's my 70 Paladin - who, if anything has even MORE armour!!

Both of those toons were casual dungeon/PvPers as well as in the throes of WoTLK's levelling which means they carried a tonne of kit around at all times - I had addons to remind me what was what but they're long lost...

Then there's 2 other 70s (never been to Northrend) and 3 other mid 60s (levelling through Outland) and the metric tonne of kit and skills and trade goods and items and daily quest grinds and - oh holy bobbins!!

Where the hell do I start!! :)

Couldn't the dragon have wiped everything out and I'd just start again!! :)

Banned
    You start by not playing WoW anymore.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Where the hell do I start!! :)
    Using Windows? Try Start -> World of Warcraft -> Uninstall :-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    If you don't have any particular attachment to your old toons, I'd just start fresh with whatever race/class you feel like playing, and use their gold to fund your leveling (bags and mounts are the priority - don't bother buying gear in the AH, you'll get better stuff by questing). It's better than trying to relearn the game with higher level characters, in my opinion. Just remember that the draenei/blood elf starting zones have not been updated, so these days they're the most annoying ones.

Roll forward and this Scroll of Resurrection 'free Cataclysm and stuff' deal landed in my inbox and so I decided to take a peek - can't hurt eh? :)
    Well, it can, but it needn't necssarily if you can limit your time with the game to a month or so.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend starting over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm strongly feeling the starting-over thing - I assume the trip to 60 will be rather different from when I last did it (apart from moving my PvP Shaman from 39-49 I've not touched the old world in a LONG time)???

I could always shelve the 'new' toon at 60 and pickup my old toon (anything between 65 and 73 depending which I choose) and avoid Outland (which I've done too many times to find the idea of doing it again appealing at this point)? :)

Another approach I could take is to assume everything my 60-70 chars has is crap anyway (it will be) and just slog ahead and see what drops/becomes available I guess. My kit was state-of-the-art when I left it but it's now something a charity shop would shun I guess? :)

It may be old and creaky but I'm still feeling the love for the world - I goto places and I've got actual memories of earlier quests there, people I met, daft things we did - hell it's good to be back in many ways!!

The only thing I'm not feeling is the extensive instancing they use in the new starter areas - alongside some VERY crappy 'use this tank/bomber/cannon' stuff it just feels like a sideshow event :(

Well, for one thing keep in mind that Cataclysm is pretty much all about old Azeroth revamped, meaning starting a new character probably is good idea to see all the areas that got improved etc. In fact I had tons of fun with a friend when we were doing some actual lore-RP stuff on the old continets. Lore is the only real that that's really good.
    Besides that, Warcraft is dead.

Coincidentally, I've spent the best part of today playing a trial account to see if I do have the will to go back for a bit. Idea being that I could get an old guild-mate the mount by having them scroll me and I then, in turn can scroll another friend, who I tend to play co-op games with a lot, who's also considering playing again.

Feeling on it with addon-less toons. Strewth, my setup had become a mess of outdated mods, broken UI errors and screen estate filling gumph that once was functional. So I set about fixing things back up and updating/swapping out my fifty-odd addons, that I now just cannot live without (hence why I cannot get into any other MMO whatsoever) and setting up some of my binds again for a new, but temporary little Warrior. FOUR HOURS later, I'm eventually grinding my way through Eversong feeling it all come back to me quite comfortably. Before long I'm lvl 13 and it's off into Arathi Basin I go.

Damn, I'd missed Battlegrounds. Sure there's a lot of buttons to press, bars to watch and all-out concentration to be done at times, but after months and months of MP twitch shooters, it's so nice to sit back and play something that doesn't rely on the pin-point precision of a mouse cursor and pulling a trigger before the other geezer does.

If you haven't played since Wrath, i'd definitely say to play a new toon and see the content changes, but certainly not to delete old ones for the sake of it. The new olde content is nice, but you're not gonna want to level all the way to 85 many times, no matter how quick you could stonk most of it with heirlooms and guild perks. Even from 73, you have a fair way to go if you intend to play any end game, as once you hit Northrend (unless you're caning dungeons non-stop), there's a rather noticible lull in the XP gain. Or maybe that's just 'cos I've played through it so many times, coupled with past Time-Lost Protodrake camping efforts and i'm just now sick of the sight and sound of the place. Having a lowbie and a main though to switch attention between can be a nice way to not OD on it all anyway. Remember you'd have to do your professions and rep all over again too. I have a few ex-raid/PvP 85s gathering dust at this point, but there'd still be lots to do even now if I do decide to play them again, as I'm no doubt well behind when it comes to gear and performing.

What i'm most looking forward to I think, apart from more BGs (damn I love BGs), is ploughing though old raids and dungeons for sexy and/or daft looking gear to transmogrify. Should keep me entertained until GW2 hits at least. And now I think I've completely gone and talked myself into it again. Bugger.

What you say about the world still feeling right and having those memories is spot-on. I've tried a number of F2P jobbies, from LoTR and Aion, to the starter months of Rift and Warhammer, but none of them had the same comfortable, responsive and gamey feel. All felt clunky, looked ugly and had hideously jerky animations that just made whatever character I was playing feel 'wrong', as they got stuck on dodgy prop clipping of trees and fences (I like to jump onto and over anything and everything), not to mention limiting controls and UI options to bar-clicking, info-scattered standard fare. I just couldn't get on with any of them.

As for your gear by the way, grab an addon that compares stats and highlights increases (tekcompare may do this, but I forget) and just stick with whatever bumps your primary stats the most. Pally go Strength, Priest = Spirit, Mage = Intellect etc... as that's really all that will matter when levelling. Spell-power and Healing-power is long gone, as are Armour Penetration and Attack Power. Primary stats are all you need. Disenchant or flog the rest (or bank it if it looks nice). If you happen to be on Draenor, you could gimmie a shout. Maybe I could be of service ;)

Bytheby, is there still an RPS guild going?
    Last edited by Memph; 26-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My old mains are all on Draenor - it's a small world!!

Horde-side they live in a guild called "Damage Inc" (it's just me!)

Alliance-side I just have my Palalol - Endjinn

Holler if you notice me!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Perhaps worth mentioning that if you start a new character it won't take you very long to catch up with your higher level toons. You get more XP from quests, need less for each level, the quest tracker means you don't have to run around and search for obscure quest objectives, there are no more elite levelling quests, travel is faster and you get much better gear from quest rewards and levelling dungeons. In short: Levelling is very fast these days compared to back in the vanilla and Burning Crusade days. I'd say too fast and effortless, but then I'm a grumpy old man who enjoyed taking his time.

If you stick with your higher level characters don't worry about gear; most of it will be replaced in a day or two anyway and the game is easy enough that you don't really need to relearn all your skills before you get to lvl 85 and do more difficult dungeons or PvP.

Oh, and don't worry too much about Outland either, last time I levelled a character I barely got out of Hellfire Peninsula before dinging 68 and going to Northrend (which still has the best questing content in the game so that's fine).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well I've dug-in and the levels do, indeed, fly by.

I thought I'd arrive in Durotar (Gnome Priest) and hate the place (The Barrens - AGAIN!) - but it's kinda familiar and comfy, like slippers...

Apart from Org, not much has changed (the flood has presumably killed Fizzle Darkwotsit and I HATED that man so that's good!!) but the quests seem quicker and more interesting (tho the 'please drop a fucking horn' Plainstriders are still there I see!) :)

I've even started snapping screenies again - I think that's the thing with WoW, it's a world so lovely you want to take pics. The only other game which made me do that was AoC and in that you try to edit yourself out as you're not pretty!! :)

My old mains are all on Draenor - it's a small world!!
    Horde-side they live in a guild called "Damage Inc" (it's just me!)
    Holler if you notice me!!
    Ha! Aces. I'm all Horde myself (never played an Alli past their 30's).
    ATM i'm still camping Org on the trial account waiting for my old friend to show up to get a scroll going. Hopefully this week i'll be up and running. I'm in 2 guilds; an ex-GM of a small, quiet 'family' like affair (The Void) with friendly, trustworthy and helpful folks I've played with on-and-off since vanilla.

The other a very large social guild (Dreamerz - at one point possibly the largest on the server) that I'd joined to sample a bit of soft raiding. This was simply run via the calendar - if enough signed up each week for the required roles, we'd head out and have a pop at it, which suited me much better than the hardcore mandatory 3 times a-week crowd, with points earning for loot and all that jazz. It was casual, but the GM ruled with an iron-fist when it came to nerd-rage and trolling by guild members - so much as calling someone a 'noob' during a raid got you kicked on the spot - however she's seemed to have stepped down now. Hopefully things haven't changed much.

I could likely invite to either if you're looking for a home (fingers crossed with Dreamerz anyway, as I was a RL tank prior to my disappearing act, although checking armoury I appear to have not been given the shoe).

My main toons are Contra, Memphix, Chakan, Breakbeat and Bladez. Shall indeed holler when back in the saddle. If nothing else could give you a boost or two in some dungeons ;)
    Last edited by Memph; 28-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah - Guilds - I've had my share of fun and games with those on Draenor...

I was fortunate enough to ride in the serverfirst mobile for a while with Chimaera - starting in Molten Core and retiring (due to being unable to keep-up with the military schedule the GM imposed) at the spider boss in Naxx. Got some nice gear and funky videos out of the time but it really was more like a job than a game :)

Some cool people were met along the way tho - none of whom appear to exist anymore (I had a lengthy friendlist but the 'account no longer exists' thing deleted all but 2 people!!) :*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would start anew with one of the new races. Both are fun great starter areas with good atmosphere.

The revamped 1-60 leveling content is very nice now and straightforward. You can even stay on one continent the entire time. Once your quests in a zone are done, you are led right in the next through quests (before it sometimes ran into a dead end or had to even change continents and travel a lot.) It is also enjoyable to see the changes from before the Cataclysm and compare.

Take advantage of the Looking for Dungeon finder. Queue up as you quest, once you gone and completed a 5 man dungeon, you are placed right back where you were before you entered.

curse.com what I use to find addons.

Outland is not changed but they increased the exp earned and/or exp required to level so you will be through there and Northrend fairly quick. Exp gathering professions are a nice boost of exp.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Levelling is definitely WAY quicker - I have a couple of low level toons on Ravenholltwhoa re level 20-22 and have around 26 hours played each.

My 'new' Goblin priest (DrPixie - I couldn't resist that one!!) is 18 (anda half) in just 9 hours - that means we're talking doubled XP gain (no rested involved in this case - probably a bit on the others) - and those 2 toons were made in the Crusade era where I think they'd sped-up levelling from vanilla a bit anyway (Level 60 used to take anything from 70-100 hours in vanilla - that's a LONG time - modern kids can't take it etc. etc.).

Those 18 Levels have mostly come from the entirely new starter area and the entirely revamped (and rather fun) Azshara. I did a BIT of stuff in Durotar/The Barrens just to see what had changed and was pleased to discover Fizzle Darkstorm was dead but otherwise it's all 'new' upto now!!

OP - Starting over isn't nearly as daunting a prospect as you might believe, since Cataclysm you gain experience MUCH faster. So much so that when I last levelled a character I was outlevelling zones that I actually wanted to see just by doing pvp battlegrounds. Between 1-60 you gain pretty much a level every hour or so (unlike every day as it used to be). TBC content is also very quick, by just running dungeons you can do the whole thing in a day or two. WotlK content felt like much more of a slog, I haven't played in a year so I don't know if they fixed it, but the levelling was much slower in Northrend. So yeh, making a brand new character is much less of a commitment than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    You start by not playing WoW anymore.
    You know there's a saying that comes to mind: if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

I'm not sure if that applies to products, duff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dinged 20 tonight - in just over 10 hours played - and 20 is, of course, mount time!!

and it's so CHEAP - the mount is 80s - the training a whopping 3g20s (those are GOBLIN prices of course) - I had twice that just from quests and selling junk!! I can't remember what it used to cost but 60g leaps to mind!?!?

So I have a trike and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. They're done wonders with Azshara in particular, it was a bit of a dead-end in the game before (cept for Archmage Xylem perhaps) but there's a tonne of cool stuff in there now (not the least being the rocket track!!!!!) and they've changed Xylem to be even cooler - well, except for the dodgy nature of his challenges which are a bit potluck but far from impossible...

The only thing I'm not greatly keen on is the overuse of instancing, esp in the starter areas. It disjoints the game and makes for a 'just get this done' approach instead of an 'explore the world and discover stuff' approach. It was as true of the DeathKnight intro too IMO - but they've gone to town a bit more here and it gets a bit weird.

It was worse for the Worgen than the Goblin too - there were times in the Worgen starting area where I felt I was playing a cheap clone of WoW and not WoW itself - but then the Alliance side has always been poorer IMO (with the possible exception of the old Alliance Onyxia stuff and the Deadmines!!) :)

So - anyway - onwards and onwards some more!

Obscure Node
    I'd personally start by gathering as many friends as you can, and getting them all on recruit a friend. Not only will the leveling go faster by virtue of having people to do it with, but you also get a bunch of neat bonuses. If that's not an option, find a leveling guild, or a lvl 25 guild looking for people. Leveling isn't really fun, it's work. People make it fun. In that way WoW is one of the best sandbox adventure games, you never really know what the other people are gonna do. It's almost like having friends! =P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I've taken long breaks in the past from WoW as well (never as long as you though).

Starting on your 73 priest I'd say it doesn't really matter what is in your bags. Equip yourself with whatever seems the best and disenchant or vendor everything else, you will be replacing it all in a day or two anyway.

If you were an addon creator then you probably already know how to get all that setup.

With all the changes over the last three years it might be a little overwhelming to start a class at level 73 though, as someone else said starting over might be your best bet. When I took a long break during TBC I felt the same as you when I came back, I decided to re-roll a new class on a new server and it turned out to be the best thing I ever did in that game. I found out I was amazing at healing and had many years of hardcore raiding fun afterwards. So yeah, do whatever!