Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Takedown on Kickstarter

The new video for the relaunched Takedown project on Kickstarter is now live, and it looks like a lot of very high-quality work has been put into it. Here it is:

Time is of the essence and the clock is ticking; there are now only six days left for you to make a difference and pledge.

Will you support the Takedown project?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ctical-shooter

Disclosure: Other than being a minor backer I have no other investment in the project. I'm not a developer - just a fan that would like to see the project be a success.
    Last edited by Jim Bob; 26-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Not interesting for me but I wish the developers good luck.

Also, Jim Bob, please inform us that you are connected to the project you are promoting. It's just common courtesy.

Obscure Node
    OK - sorry about that. Other than being a minor backer I have no other investment in the project. I'm not a developer - just a fan that would like to see the project be a success.

Network Hub
    If you started off more like that, it might have been succesful. Point of the matter is though that making a funny video and 2 photoshopped concept arts from real people and putting them up won't make people trust you or your project, especially if you don't have a reputation. Either you need something to show like screenshots or a gameplay video or at least pitching the concept more closely.
    There's also the thing that this project isn't about "making the game", but finding a *publisher* to *maybe* make the game, and that's just not good enough... why should people pay them to create something that they can pitch to a publisher/investor, that's nonsensical?

Damn, hoping this was a Breakdown revival.

Still a hardcore squad shooter sounds pretty neat.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    If you started off more like that, it might have been succesful. Point of the matter is though that making a funny video and 2 photoshopped concept arts from real people and putting them up won't make people trust you or your project, especially if you don't have a reputation. Either you need something to show like screenshots or a gameplay video or at least pitching the concept more closely.
    There's also the thing that this project isn't about "making the game", but finding a *publisher* to *maybe* make the game, and that's just not good enough... why should people pay them to create something that they can pitch to a publisher/investor, that's nonsensical?

I think you're missing the point. How can he have screenshots when he's trying to secure funding to make the game? What kind of nonsense logic is that? He has concept art, and a fairly detailed description of what the game is planned to be. And the entire point of this is to avoid publishers. He has private investors lined up and interested. They aren't publishers. But they aren't totally convinced that there's a market for the game. The point of the kickstarter is to prove to these private investors that the game has an audience, and to get development to the point where he will have screenshots, videos, and more detailed information for the people that will finish off the funding.

I think the bottom line is that it's a cool project, and you're basically just paying for the game with a $15 donation. If the concept sounds interesting at all there's no reason not to kick in that money and help spread the word. If it doesn't reach the goal, you don't lose anything. If it does, you get a game that you probably would have wanted to check out anyway, but for cheaper.

I wish them the best of luck. The initial launch didn't grab me, but this relaunch has certainly made me more hopeful. I hope they don't compromise on streamlining the game though, and focus on making it as hardcore and tactical as possible.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by JPUT View Post
    I think you're missing the point. How can he have screenshots when he's trying to secure funding to make the game? What kind of nonsense logic is that? He has concept art, and a fairly detailed description of what the game is planned to be. And the entire point of this is to avoid publishers. He has private investors lined up and interested. They aren't publishers. But they aren't totally convinced that there's a market for the game. The point of the kickstarter is to prove to these private investors that the game has an audience, and to get development to the point where he will have screenshots, videos, and more detailed information for the people that will finish off the funding.

I think the bottom line is that it's a cool project, and you're basically just paying for the game with a $15 donation. If the concept sounds interesting at all there's no reason not to kick in that money and help spread the word. If it doesn't reach the goal, you don't lose anything. If it does, you get a game that you probably would have wanted to check out anyway, but for cheaper.
    Why back something when you have no credible proof of the game ever being made? Im sorry but this is the exact reason that I hate Kickstarter. This project has two pieces of concept art and a some text and yet the devs expect people to start funding this? It's crazy. Maybe a group of us here on RPS should start one, make 3 random images and a wall of text and say "Guys give us money please =)".

Your going on reputation and word alone giving these people money. Can never understand how people throw money out the window on sh*t like this.

Obscure Node
    If nothing else, Christian's latest output on the Kickstarter page clearly demonstrates that he is able to call on highly skilled professionals to aid him on this project at short notice. He himself admits that he didn't get the marketing right at the launch of the Kickstarter - and I respect him for his honesty.

Like I said on Eurogamer:

Bottom line is this; Kickstarter is based on trust. Wasteland and Inxile meant absolutely nothing to me before I saw Kickstarter and started reading up on them - likewise Christian Allen.

I know this much; I've waited patiently for half a decade since Swat 3/4 to see a highly challenging and replayable tac-sim FPS that doesn't concentrate solely on killing everything in sight but actually rewards the *preservation* of life - both hostage/bystanders *and* the enemy.

I think this is it, and for $15 for a once-in-a-half-decade piece of software I think that's a bargain. Whether you think the same is up to you.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
    If nothing else, Christian's latest output on the Kickstarter page clearly demonstrates that he is able to call on highly skilled professionals to aid him on this project at short notice. He himself admits that he didn't get the marketing right at the launch of the Kickstarter - and I respect him for his honesty.

Like I said on Eurogamer:

Bottom line is this; Kickstarter is based on trust. Wasteland and Inxile meant absolutely nothing to me before I saw Kickstarter and started reading up on them - likewise Christian Allen.

I know this much; I've waited patiently for half a decade since Swat 3/4 to see a highly challenging and replayable tac-sim FPS that doesn't concentrate solely on killing everything in sight but actually rewards the *preservation* of life - both hostage/bystanders *and* the enemy.

I think this is it, and for $15 for a once-in-a-half-decade piece of software I think that's a bargain. Whether you think the same is up to you.
    You know that between now and the time that something gets released half of these projects may as well be scams. What exactly has your 15 quid got you so far? Anyone can write a a nice FAQ and stick some nice looking pictures. It's a different kettle of his for someone to come out and say "This our PoC, fund us and this is where we ll be going". Your essentially saying "Take my money and I don't care what you do with it".

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    You know that between now and the time that something gets released half of these projects may as well be scams. What exactly has your 15 quid got you so far?
    Trust and patronage. That's how Kickstarter works. If Christian fails to deliver on his promises then his name and reputation - and his accomplices - will be mud and his patrons will no doubt contact the police.

By the way, $15 - that's about 9 at the current exchange rate. Basically a small round of drinks on a night out. That's really not a lot of money. Hands up all those that have lost a tenner from their pocket on a night out?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Why back something when you have no credible proof of the game ever being made? Im sorry but this is the exact reason that I hate Kickstarter. This project has two pieces of concept art and a some text and yet the devs expect people to start funding this? It's crazy. Maybe a group of us here on RPS should start one, make 3 random images and a wall of text and say "Guys give us money please =)".

Your going on reputation and word alone giving these people money. Can never understand how people throw money out the window on sh*t like this.
    It's not like some random Joe just put this kickstarter up. Christian Allen is a major developer. He's been lead developer on multimillion dollar games more than once. He very clearly knows what he's doing. He already has a team lined up and a design in mind. I don't see any way you could interpret supporting this project as throwing money away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Its kinda shocking to see that there are no more people who will fund this game,i mean tactical shooters are lacking for already quite some time :/ (Last one was GRAW 2)
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Obscure Node
    Christian Allen looks like the *real deal* to me and he says he has top industry talent lined up to make this thing, too. He has been *very* specific about the AAA resources he has lined up to work on this project - specifically this list (from his FAQ):

" A: While we can't name names due to contract negotiations, we have veterans from:
    Bungie
    Microsoft
    Monolith
    Surreal
    Red Storm
    Wargamer
    Ubisoft
    Snowblind

Games they've worked on include:
    Rainbow Six, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear,
    Ghost Recon PC, Desert Siege, Island Thunder, GR2: Summit Strike
    World of Tanks
    F.E.A.R.
    Condemned
    Condemned 2
    Drakan
    Age of Empires Online
    Marathon
    Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, 4
    The Suffering
    The Suffering 2
    Gotham City Imposters
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North "

I've waited patiently for half a decade since Swat 3/4 to see a highly challenging and replayable tac-sim FPS that doesn't concentrate solely on killing everything in sight but actually rewards the *preservation* of life - both hostage/bystanders *and* the enemy.
    That actually sounds pretty interesting. I'll take a second look at the kickstarter and my bank account. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Christian Allen looks like the *real deal* to me and he says he has top industry talent lined up to make this thing, too. He has been *very* specific about the AAA resources he has lined up to work on this project - specifically this list (from his FAQ):

" A: While we can't name names due to contract negotiations, we have veterans from:
    Bungie
    Microsoft
    Monolith
    Surreal
    Red Storm
    Wargamer
    Ubisoft
    Snowblind

Games they've worked on include:
    Rainbow Six, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear,
    Ghost Recon PC, Desert Siege, Island Thunder, GR2: Summit Strike
    World of Tanks
    F.E.A.R.
    Condemned
    Condemned 2
    Drakan
    Age of Empires Online
    Marathon
    Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, 4
    The Suffering
    The Suffering 2
    Gotham City Imposters
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North "

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammn! All those games are quite good,people start funding this game!
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Network Hub
    Yep, let's totally trust this guy, I mean... I myself worked for Blizzard, Microsoft, SONY, Bioware, Nintendo, EPIC, iD and a few other companies but I can't disclose anything because of contractual obligations...

I also have staff from different companies on my project from Blizzard, Microsoft, Bungie etc.

Max here was part of the janitorial staff at Bungie, Justine over there delivered coffee to Blizzard and Daphne worked as a receptionist at Microsoft.

Oh, I also just took a few actual pictures I found on Google searching for "SWAT" and cell-shaded em up a bit so my project looks all professhiunal and stuff. WHY WON'T THOSE PEOPLE GIVE ME A QUARTER MILLION and just trust me?

It's not like I'm promising them that I'll make the game (find any publisher or investors for the project) or what it'll look like or anything, but they should give me their money anyway cause they did it with all those other guys.

GRAW and Halo: Reach is nothing to write home about btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dexter; 27-03-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Other than being a minor backer I have no other investment in the project

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Am I the first person to look at that topic and think, "aha! Somebody's been held accountable for running a scam on Kickstarter!"?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    It's very difficult to get people interested in a Kickstarter game that has as its core gameplay mechanic the thing that's saturated the market to the point of choking it: shooting. This game will not make its budget.