Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Network Hub
    What a f*cking joke that this is now on the frontpage of RPS, absolutely pathetic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Intruder has me more excited than this project. A two-man team have been working at their own realistic squad-based tactical shooter for just 2 months now and they're showing off some interesting and clever game features already. Why should I back Takedown over this?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Intruder has me more excited than this project. A two-man team have been working at their own realistic squad-based tactical shooter for just 2 months now and they're showing off some interesting and clever game features already. Why should I back Takedown over this?
    Fucking internets! This is exactly my point, here is a developer who actually has content to show!! Backing them is saying "I like what you have thus your heading in the right direction". This project deserves funding, Takedown does not.

Well Christian Allen checks out and has been involved with many of the Ghost Recon. Some of the ones before it all went to crap even. But he claims to have been pushing it for ages with no prototype to show? He's not being allowed to say whose in his team (which is a new one to me)? Only the vaguest descriptions as to content?

Not saying its a scam just a very badly disguised attempt to get on the bandwagon.

Obscure Node
    Ouch! The hate - it burns!

But seriously, play fair guys... is anybody forgetting that Double Fine turned up to Kickstarter with just a couple of videotaped interviews? No working title or concept there either. What adventure genre are you expecting from them...?

"What, you mean that you didn't really want a choose-your-own-adventure documentary about a day in the life of an accountant when you pledged? Well that's tough."

It's all about trust. Yes, I did pledge for DFA - and it better be as smoking-hot awesome as I think it will.

Lastly, just so nobody is under any illusions, I'm sure somebody questioned my integrity earlier in this thread - so for the record I'll repeat what I said on Eurogamer:

Like I said, I backed it for $15. End of. That's it. Did I know who Christian was before this weekend? No. Do I live on the same continent as Christian and his mates? No.

Wrong question. You should be asking what have I got to do with Swat 3 and 4, which I played for months and months and... you get the picture.

Fact is that I *strongly* believe that this game *needs* to be made because at the moment we are swimming in a sea of single-player games-on-rails and if we don't see this game to completion then big-name publishers may ensure that a title with gameplay like Swat CQB will never see the light of day for another half-decade. I don't want to be dead before the next Swat-alike comes out!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I don't know why don't they join team at blackfoot studios,the main guy worked on original Ghost Recon games,also on original R6 to RvS and they made quite a progress,they already have allot of stuff made. Because they won't make it,they still have 100 000 dollars to make in 4 days..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I think we're all missing the big question here, which is:

bunx no xing no mid?
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I lost faith in them once they began pilfering real images, copyrighted ones at that, and then Photoshopping them in an attempt to make them appear as actual concept art. Quite the douchey thing to do.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DetCord View Post
    copyrighted ones at that
    If it's a stock photo, I'm sure they've paid the license fee. It is a weird thing to do, though. Sure, use stock photos if you don't have real art available yet. But photoshopping them to make it look gamey? Ehhh. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pkdawson View Post
    If it's a stock photo, I'm sure they've paid the license fee. It is a weird thing to do, though. Sure, use stock photos if you don't have real art available yet. But photoshopping them to make it look gamey? Ehhh. Not sure.
    Nope. I found the other photos online and contacted the respective photographers. The CR holders have requested they be removed.

Toward the bottom. Same user-name as on RPS.
    http://www.serellan.com/forums/index...t/page__st__60

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    They could at least make their own wallpapers lol,kinda pathetic to take someone's else pic and paint it :c

Network Hub
    Oh, that's damning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
    Ouch! The hate - it burns!

But seriously, play fair guys... is anybody forgetting that Double Fine turned up to Kickstarter with just a couple of videotaped interviews? No working title or concept there either. What adventure genre are you expecting from them...?

"What, you mean that you didn't really want a choose-your-own-adventure documentary about a day in the life of an accountant when you pledged? Well that's tough."

It's all about trust.
    You've answered your own question. Double Fine can get away with it because it's Tim Schafer. The man has a gaming legacy spanning 20 years and has worked on some (if not all) of the finest adventure games ever made. We trust him. I didn't know Christian Allen's name until 15 seconds ago, and I wouldn't throw money at him even if he promised me I'd get to ride dinosaurs with laser eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Oof View Post
    Oh, that's damning.
    Indeed. All that was necessary was to contact the holder and request permission. That is just low, subversive shit right there.

TD_final_003_logo_comp.jpg031611swat10.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    And here I was considering backing it with a few bucks. Oh well, more icecream for me!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You've answered your own question. Double Fine can get away with it because it's Tim Schafer. The man has a gaming legacy spanning 20 years and has worked on some (if not all) of the finest adventure games ever made. We trust him. I didn't know Christian Allen's name until 15 seconds ago, and I wouldn't throw money at him even if he promised me I'd get to ride dinosaurs with laser eyes.
    Exactly, Schafer's a big name and people expect big things. He has a proven ability to develop games (good ones even) which gives people a higher expectation that he'll actually bring forth a team that will, you know, make a proper game with gameplay and stuff. Something that actually gets released.

Everyone else is an unknown, and thus it's fair to treat them with suspicion until they produce something which indicates they have a real game that has a hope in hell of being released. It also helps to judge whether their asking budget is reasonable or not (I'm not going to even consider a Mario clone made in Game Maker asking for $100,000 for example). This guy may have worked on the Ghost Recon games, but from where we sit the entire thing appears as an unknown quantity without a solid, established track record that can be used to judge whether it'll succeed or not. And painting over copyright images does not fill me with hope.

I know it sounds horrible, but I've love for people to tear apart someone like this over Kickstarter. There seems to be far too many people blatantly ignoring the potential for scams in Kickstarter and far too many people bringing out their "game concepts" looking to get rich quick. It'd inject a healthy dose of accountability into the sector, something it desperately needs.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    big text

Bring out the investing gamers! Is there no crowd sourcing that uses a more traditional investment system, so people have a bit more control over their money? Sure, it sounds bureaucratic and possibly sluggish, but I would be more interested in this system than this kickstarter affair.

(sorry for the Hijack)

btw. if i was vague.. I do know that investing by its very nature is kind of like crowd sourcing. What I am asking for is a platform that performs in the same manner as the Kickstarter system, but instead of preorder-"charity" has a higher integrity.
    Last edited by Duckee; 28-03-2012 at 03:48 AM.

As soon as I heard about the stolen photos thing I pulled my pledge.
    If I'm giving my hard earned money to someone, the least I can expect is I'm giving it to an honest person.
    The worst of it all is the dude first shrugged off the accusations, insisting the images were painted and now when the evidence became too glaring to ignore he apologized and said he didn't know they couldn't steal photos. Really ?

At least this opened my eyes and made me realize how shady this "project" is. I have the feeling this whole thing is going to bomb majestically, and the fact he wrote in the kickstart page the purpose of crowdsourcing the project was to convince investors doesn't help it a little bit.
    I can perfectly imagine him saying something along the lines of "i'm sorry, the kickstarter thing wasn't enough to convince investors. I'm off to Hawaii, cya" in a few months time, assuming the kickstarter is successful.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.doo View Post
    As soon as I heard about the stolen photos thing I pulled my pledge.
    If I'm giving my hard earned money to someone, the least I can expect is I'm giving it to an honest person.
    The worst of it all is the dude first shrugged off the accusations, insisting the images were painted and now when the evidence became too glaring to ignore he apologized and said he didn't know they couldn't steal photos. Really ?

At least this opened my eyes and made me realize how shady this "project" is. I have the feeling this whole thing is going to bomb majestically, and the fact he wrote in the kickstart page the purpose of crowdsourcing the project was to convince investors doesn't help it a little bit.
    I can perfectly imagine him saying something along the lines of "i'm sorry, the kickstarter thing wasn't enough to convince investors. I'm off to Hawaii, cya" in a few months time, assuming the kickstarter is successful.
    The only reason this got as hot as it did was because I contacted the IP holder of one of the photos in question. The vibe of these people is slimy. I pulled my pledge as soon as I spotted the photos by Dan Evans. All they've done up to now is to paint the Kick-starter option in a bad light. I'm ashamed that this guy is a prior-service Marine.

My favorite portion was this -

Serellan: We obvioisly misunderstood the rule in regards to paintings that mimic photographs. Please give us a few hours to contact the copyright holders and resolve this unfotunate situation. We will be pulling the images shortly.
    DetCord: Paintings that mimic photographs, really? You're really pushing it here and coming off as very disingenuous indeed.

http://www.serellan.com/forums/index...t/page__st__80

Network Hub
    The concept art thing is pretty dodgy, I'll grant you. But I really want another game like this to be made, and to me it's worth a $15 gamble on whether it will.