Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar

Favorite Strategy Game Factions

I say the Trilarians from Master of Orion 2 deserve some love. They have two subtle but potentially significant bonuses--Trans-Dimensional and Aquatic--and their design always made them seem really friendly and pleasant, in spite of being naked, gnarled, tentacle-faced creatures that would probably be stabbed repeatedly on-sight by most people.

What are yours?

In the name of Kane!
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    In the name of Kane!
    ^---- Thiiiiiis
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The Zuul changed Swords of the Star more than any other Expansion content, before the Zuul every species slowly grew stronger, technology, planets, defences, economy.

But not the Zuul, these guys hungrily devoured their planets leaving behind dry husks and needed to push on, it was conquest, or starvation for them. The resulting shift in the politics would force people into uneasy alliances with the Hivers (the ultimate slow burn species in sots) because they could slow the Zuul down, but once the Zuul collapses (or devour a people) the power vacuum is palpable. Quickly, gather the scraps of that fallen empire, or you might be next. And then the ultimate irony, turning to the Zuul with bribes of planets to desperately get their assistance against the Hivers you gave too much breathing room.

Yeah, messy.

Other Strategy game sides?

Parthia in Rome: Total war Horse archers are cheese in game, but lets be fair, it was cheesy in real life too, cheaply trained elite troops who can out shoot and out manoeuvre, and once you run out of arrows? Just flee the battle and attack next turn :D

When you finally conquer Egypt, Rome and Carthage you can rest.

The Spartan Survivalists in Alpha Centuri, they are by no means the best faction, but this means you need to get out there and make "peace" that you control, nip everyone's ankles, steal their technology, or get left behind.

Does sacrifice count? I guess, the God that the most honest was undoubtedly the best, Charnel's units were all vile abominations, but they were also perfectly at peace with that, all the other gods were occasional hypocrites but Charnel wanted the world to exist so suffering could continue. Even the spells he supplied you with expressed that, the raise dead spell did not protect them from harm while their bones cracked back into place, they could die while they rose, but rise they would.

The leech was the first Charnel unit you got, but like all units in sacrifice they didn't stop being useful just because they were low tech, bleeding the mana out of the enemy wizard was a key step towards victory.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Academician Prokhor Zakharov
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Academician Prokhor Zakharov
    The turtles choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Always liked the Norse from Age of Mythology for their sensible notion that even though you are a foot soldier, it does not mean that you are exempt from menial labors such as building construction.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Sardaukars from Dune II
    The ting say there be bad guys, I hope it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The turtles choice.
    Fine, fine. Chairman Sheng-ji Yang!

The scientist sits in his ivory tower and out-techs everybody when unchecked, but the despot simply out-peoples everybody when unchecked.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    The Vinci in Rise of Legends. Clockwork men? Air fortresses? Giant mechanical spider!?

Giant mechanical spider.

Honorable mention to the Cuotl: orbital lasers and black-hole robots (?) vs. musket-men.

You say KANE, but I say YURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

And of course, "Can I have some shoes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    The Vinci in Rise of Legends. Clockwork men? Air fortresses? Giant mechanical spider!?

Giant mechanical spider.

Honorable mention to the Cuotl: orbital lasers and black-hole robots (?) vs. musket-men.
    Ive been thinking of digging that one up again. Anyone know how it aged?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a soft spot for Klackons, mainly because everyone else in the world rightly despises them.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

The Vikings from Medieval! Also....Zerg!

My head says the Necron were the standout faction in DoW. But my heart... she belongs to the Imperial Guard.

Panzer Elite in Company of Heroes were probably the guys I warmed to the most. While the Brits were building immense emplacement empires, and the Americans and Wehrmacht were being all "balanced" with their "selection of different units" and "strategies", the Panzer Elite simply let me throw wave after wave of my own men at the enemy until they died. Most of their vehicles were highly situational so I ended up just building tens of ultra-upgraded regular infantrymen and seeing them mince up the opposition. Great fun after having to think so much about making sure I had all the counters I needed with the other argument. For a bonus, several of their vehicles were just adorable. The completely unarmed kettenkrad, rumbling around capturing points and running away from everything, the vampire halftrack that was useless but had an amazing name, the Bergetiger that could bring back tanks FROM THE DEAD, the dinky little marder and hummel, special tanks with special goals. Awww.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    the Panzer Elite simply let me throw wave after wave of my own men at the enemy until they died.
    Which a lot of people in the Relic forums cited as how the new faction fucked up the game.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

The Brits and Panzer Elite ruined Company of Heroes for me, Company of Heroes: Online brought CoH back to life and then CoH:O died... *sobs*

Hooray for Panzer Elite!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Ive been thinking of digging that one up again. Anyone know how it aged?
    It's still awesome. One of the best RTS designs ever. I still play it regularly. You need to run a .bat to get it patched (the patching servers are broken), I'd be happy to send it to you if you pick up the game again.

On topic, I always liked the Cybran Nation from Supreme Commander 1&2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Always liked the Norse from Age of Mythology for their sensible notion that even though you are a foot soldier, it does not mean that you are exempt from menial labors such as building construction.
    I preferred Egyptians. They have it all. Troop transports dangling precariously from the claws of giant birds. Wall-jumping jackal men. Crocodiles shooting laser beams.