Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    It's still awesome. One of the best RTS designs ever. I still play it regularly. You need to run a .bat to get it patched (the patching servers are broken), I'd be happy to send it to you if you pick up the game again.

On topic, I always liked the Cybran Nation from Supreme Commander 1&2.
    How about multiplayer? any info on that?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    GLA

AK47s for everyone!
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    AK47s for everyone!
    Can I have some shoes?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Those ones from Universe at War. You know, the ones whose only base buildings are walkers the size of a small town spitting death rays and crushing things under earth-shaking legs, whose harvesters were tripods disintegrating cars, cows and civilians, and had shark-headed men as units. Those guys.

Edit: I should also mention my race of choice from my multiplayer RTS of choice, Dawn of War 2 (Retribution). The Orks, of course. The whole game has superb voice acting which curiously features far more in the multiplayer than in the campaign, but the Orks take the cake. Never have I commanded an army that sounded like they were having as much fun as I am, and often more. The lines are funny, characterful, and delivered with aplomb and enthusiasm. The real highlight is the voice of your aide de camp, The Grot, who manages to make me laugh even when I'm losing.
    Last edited by arathain; 28-03-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Core. That is from Total Annihilation.

Taros, from Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.

Prussia and Teutonic Knights in Total War.

Activated Node
    How does TA:Kingdoms hold up? I've never bothered with TA since Supreme Commander is generally viewed as an updated version. Does Kingdoms offer something else?

Quote Originally Posted by sockeatsock View Post
    How does TA:Kingdoms hold up? I've never bothered with TA since Supreme Commander is generally viewed as an updated version. Does Kingdoms offer something else?
    Hmm. I know it works for XP, but for Vista I have no idea. I think you would still get a fair bit of fun out of it, but perhaps is more suited for a Netbook these days like so many of our greats. (Too large screen+low res tends to be quite crap). I played it last maybe 3-4 years ago and played it and its expansion from start to finish. It has some interesting mechanics, which we dont even see today in many RTS games such a projectile weapons as opposed to auto hitting weapons. Also, the factions are all ace and diverse.

And for the record SupCom is quite different to the originals. I would love a Kingdoms remake though.

Zerg from StarCraft and its sequel. The animations and slime shaders are great and all, but it's the creep that does it for me. Creep as a mechanic in SC2 is seriously brilliant and makes Zerg matchups so interesting. When enemy units come onto your creep, you really feel like you've got home field advantage, and enemies know that they're marching into dangerous territory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    Core. That is from Total Annihilation..
    ARM. For Brawlers. And by extension the UEF in Supreme Commander, simply because their idea of "unite" is "kill everybody else". Also Series 9 from the KKnD 2, because they're farm-bots. Related: web design from 1998!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    Zerg from StarCraft and its sequel.
    Orks from everything Warhammer.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Late Age Ermor and Late Age R'lyeh from Dominions 3.

Here's why: they're the two that break the rules. Out of over 60 factions, there are only two and a half that are radically different. Every other faction is egalitarian in comparison: they might pillage their own villages to pick up some extra gold, sacrifice virgins to cast hugely overpowered spells, or brutally massacre an enemy's population, but most of the time they'll leave people alone.

Not Ermor and R'lyeh.

Ermor kills everyone—every single person within the cloud of their dominion—and turns them into a nation of mindless undead. And they get truly absurd numbers of troops from this: I've had a couple games where I've seen Ermor players running around with multiple armies of over 10,000 undead. R'lyeh does something similar, but instead of killing everyone, it just drives them insane. They transform once-populous nations into lands of dreamers and madmen who live side-by-side with starspawn and mutants. And both of these factions are so adept at this process, so efficient, that every other player in the game is terrified of them, and will likely ally against them before turning on each other.

Any game of Dom3 that takes place in the Late Era and has either Ermor or R'lyeh kicking about is definitely not going to be a boring one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    LA Ulm in Dominions 3.
    Very heavily armored ifantry. People who herd wolves. Secret cults, Illuminati, fortune tellers.

Frostlings in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
    They're cute, and they have a Frost Witch unit which leaves snow in her path ! Permanently. She can even freeze water, and go over crops depriving a nearby city of income.

Soviets in RA2. Their harvesters are armed with machineguns and can slaughter infantry and even small numbers of tanks. When going for the final battle, they can form a living shield in front of your tanks. If left unchecked, they deal surprising damage.
    Among soviet factions, Iraq is probably the most practical. Desolators are a hard counter to all infantry except snipers, but more important is the fact they counter allied Mirage tanks, which are normally a micromanagement nightmare to defeat. Desolators turn the table.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Oh yeah, the British snipers, slap one in an ifv and Yuri prime is toast, his clone too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

still, mind control towers are made of win. As well as mind controlling shit to recycle. hilarious!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Vinci from RoL, Egyptians from Age of Mythology and the Spanish from Age of Empires II/expansion. I also quite liked the Persians, their elephants were so badass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Lord Sartek from Warlords 3. He was a proper pest on the top difficulty.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Oh yeah, the British snipers, slap one in an ifv and Yuri prime is toast, his clone too.
    This. You get that sucker promoted and he's a full on infantry killing machine. Also great for completely shutting down Yuri's economy.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Probably the Soviets in RA2 but nation-wise, Iraq for the Desolators and Britain for dem snipers. In Dune II/2000, I always roll Harkonnen and Nod in C&C.

No matter what faction I pick in SupCom, UEF seems to stick with me. Probably the Fatboys and the gunships but I suck at playing it.

Playing in a game where everyone in the universe is evil and overpowred, Space Marines or the Necron in W40k: Dawn of War are pretty boss.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I always liked playing the Persians in Civ 4. A combination of health bonus + culture bonus + unique chariots = extremely rapid expansion in the early game.

Sots hivers. They just fitted me. It feels comfortable playing them. Also once you got past the first impression on the voice over it gets somewhat charming. FOR THE QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN