Thread: Unofficial FAQ

Unofficial FAQ

I don't want to derail the Bargains thread more than I already have, but I was just wondering, does anyone else think that an unofficial RPS Fora FAQ could be a good idea?

(It wouldn't have to be an actual FAQ, necessarily. Just some sort of list.)

I'm thinking of something to sit underneath The Rules, perhaps, or atop each forum as a sticky. It would basically outline a few things that aren't covered by the official Rules, but are generally considered to be advisable/not advisable.

example entry: "Affiliate Links: Posting affiliate links is allowed, but you should explicitly mention that you are doing so. Silently posting affiliate links is frowned upon."

But I'm not sure whether there is actually a body of unwritten 'RPS etiquette', or just one or two issues on which the posters here tend to lean a certain way. Is there anything else that should be covered?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Q. Help, my thread's been derailed! I asked a simple question then all these people with huge post counts turned up and now everyone's angry with everyone else! What can I do?

A. Welcome to RPS! You'll get used to it.

Q. What is the definition of an RPG?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Q. Help, Althea's posting again.

A. She'll stop eventually. Just tell her she's wrong; she'll either flip or apologise. Or both.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Q. Help, Althea's posting again.

A. She'll stop eventually. Just tell her she's wrong; she'll either flip or apologise. Or both.
    Lies. Such awful lies.

Q. Hi, I really like this new game that's going to come out, and--

A. NO YOU DON'T. GET OUT.

Q. But I--

A. You're a shill for EA, aren't you?

A. No, you are! Stop trying to deflect attention away.

A. Who asked you? I bet you tongue the anus of Bioware nightly.

A. You take that back!

Q. Oh dear.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Q: Are games by Tale of Tales good?
    A: No. They're friggin' terrible. They're the worst examples of art games. In fact most art games suck. They're not even games. They're pointless, ham-fisted grabs for cash that deserve to be banned.

I think that by formalising the unofficial rules of the forum you will remove half the fun, forum etiquette is a bit like minesweeper, sometimes it's logical, sometimes you just have to make a guess. BOOM!

Instead we should build up a Frequently Unasked Questions, such as: What's the most mediocre FPS out there?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Instead we should build up a Frequently Unasked Questions, such as: What's the most mediocre FPS out there?
    Oooo, that's a good 'un.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I learned something! I figured I knew how to make Althea flip, I didn't realize it'd be simply by telling her she's wrong!

<3
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.