Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Age of Empires Online

...Is out today. Does anyone give a shit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I liked it more than AoE 3 during the beta.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    *Thinks for a moment*

No...

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    It got some positive comments here a while back. I'll give it a shot.

Oh look, GFWL...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I want to, but I can't shake the feeling that $2 will get me a bonus starting villager for 10 matches, even something like that would totally blow up the balance.

Gamasutra's impressions piece was kinda offputting:

First is that to be frank, the game is boring as hell starting out. Because all the units and researches are tied to the leveling system, it means that the player is going to spend a lot of time not doing much on the RTS side. Expect to find your only strategy is building nothing but spear-men for several levels. You can't even use siege equipment until level 10 meaning that early on your only option for taking out defensive structures is to just send wave after wave of infantry until it goes down.

[....]

There should be a red flag being raised after that. The bonuses combined from items, advisors and tech will give a paying customer a huge advantage compared to a free one. This could be a tough pill to swallow especially with other F2P games on the market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Why do people act like F2P/P4F/P2W/POL/MTA/N&D* games only have to be as good as other games like them, they have to be better than everything because they want a never ending stream of money. Better than free to play or better than 30 retail, better than classics or modern titles, AAA or indie.

* free to play, play for free, pay to win, pay or lose, micro trans action/nickel and dime

Activated Node
    I thought the beta was good but only played it for a couple of hours. I am a huge fan of AoE II and this seemed to play like it during the actual RTS sequences. What I played in the beta was definitely a slow moving tutorial meant for those new to the genre.

The amount of DLC that is already available is concerning - there is a "Season 1 Pass" for $100 that gives you a bunch of content for the next six months. That seems pretty high for a free to play game. If they have an option to match you against/with other people that own the same content it should be fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Has anyone here played it yet? I am not quite optimistic, but it sure looks pretty.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I am excited! Even though I expect I'll get bored with it, I have wanted to try it for a long time. Thanks for mentioning =)

Obscure Node
    It's a fucking awesome game. You should all give it a go.

Wow, this is some hate.

The game builds you up slowly and gives you a lot of advantages. It's a little boring at first, but I really enjoyed it as a heathen whom has never played the originals. I can see myself hopping on a lot to enjoy some fun. Level 10 comes fast, I've hit level 6 from a single evening.

Network Hub
    Played it back in the Beta, it was a pretty awesome Semi-Persistant Semi-SinglePlayer/CoOp game.
    Reminded me of Age of Empires 2 and Cossacks.

Unfortunately it came with loads and loads of baggage, which were Games for Windows Live, Games for Windows Live Marketplace, Xbox Live Account and "Windows Live ID".

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Played a little back in beta. Enjoyed the style and the accessibility. But the tutorial was so boring that I never even got to the real game.

Honestly I'd probably give it a shot if I weren't buried in games right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Not impressed so far. Doing tutorial quests so I can level up and unlock all the features of a game released years ago, with added item store.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    It feels like it's doing its best to feel like a crap MMO, with a bunch of tediously boring, easy quests at the beginning. There's even loot, which you equip on unit types or use for crafting.

Like most MMOs, it's a decent mindless timewaster. Maybe it'll get better after the long long long tutorial, but yeah, I can see no reason to play it over AoE or Rise of Nations.

EDIT: Hahaha, I just got a quest reward which is "locked" unless I buy the premium civilization. Which costs $20. To unlock *one* civilization. OK, I'm done with this.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 17-08-2011 at 02:19 AM.

Age of Empires Online, which was released, is shaping up to be a fine return to form. I never got around to participating in the beta so this is all very new. But it's also so familiar: it feels like Age of Empires, and that's a very good thing.
    Last edited by kenleyhorred; 17-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It's a bit easy so far, but that was to be expected. I like its style and it feels a bit like AoE... The unusable (without ponying up realcash) quest reward left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, however.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Hahaha, I just got a quest reward which is "locked" unless I buy the premium civilization. Which costs $20. To unlock *one* civilization. OK, I'm done with this.
    That is offputting. They should only give you rewards or items that can actually use. It's a bit like those Mann Co crates I keep getting in TF2 - completely useless unless you want to pay to see/use the item.

I think the premium civs are $10 not $20 but that is still a bit much.