Page 21 of 56 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I feel a lot of desolation success was down to the sheer numbers we had on the server and constant fullness of WvW compared to the others. Plus a lot of the better players will likely move to a less populated server.

But ultimately I don't mind, just a bit wary of popular servers as they have more chance to have restrictions placed on them after launch stopping people from joining and potentially splitting the guild.

Not to mention we were obviously lagging a lot more than servers with lower populations.

During the stress test I had about 40 seconds of lag in the beginner human area. I was on Magus Falls before joining the guild in BWE3 and peak times were bad there too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    2) Re Server choice, while I intend to wait until after BWE3 (unless of course everyone moves to start picking servers before then) I will say I've grown quite fond of Desolation, I like that we have a strong PvP crowd and I think we need to ensure we don't end up being lumped on one of the terrible servers for fear that WvW will become a no go zone.
    This is how I feel, really. There's no guarantee that another server will be any better - all the servers will be packed and laggy at launch anyway, and how the population of each changes afterward is quite unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I'm desperatetly looking forward to this but at the same time I know how horrific mmo launches can be, I kinda hoped they would be doing a longer staggered early access period like wot Star Wars did.
    Don't know if I can resist preordering it... but I should know better and wait at least a couple weeks post-launch for the servers (and players) to go out of crazy mode.

I think and fully expect the overflow servers to work magnificently compared to the stupidity of the SWTOR release :/
    What are these overflow servers?

About Desolation, I think being in the spotlight these BWEs is not a very good thing. It'll attract all sorts of players looking to be on a winning world and maybe end up being overpopulated.
    On the other hand, being on a desolated server (hah!) is way worse.

How's the WvWvW pairing going to be, static or dynamic? As in, will the grouping be set in stone like, say battlegroups in WoW, or will it be dynamic depending on the strength of the particular worlds - creating some sort of a ladder?

In answer to your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    What are these overflow servers?
    Basically, if your server instance is full, you get put into the same instance on an overflow server and continue to play while you queue. So you can play the game while you're waiting to play the game!

Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    How's the WvWvW pairing going to be, static or dynamic? As in, will the grouping be set in stone like, say battlegroups in WoW, or will it be dynamic depending on the strength of the particular worlds - creating some sort of a ladder?
    It's dynamic, with WvW zones being reset and comparable servers being grouped together every two weeks (although it will be a much quicker rotation right after launch).

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    With the dynamicness of the WvW, I don't really think we need to worry so much about being on the best of the best WvW servers and I think the type of player that will attract isn't the type I generally like to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Basically, if your server instance is full, you get put into the same instance on an overflow server and continue to play while you queue. So you can play the game while you're waiting to play the game!

It's dynamic, with WvW zones being reset and comparable servers being grouped together every two weeks (although it will be a much quicker rotation right after launch).
    That's kickass. In this case I might succumb and preorder the thing.

Desolation was pwning way too much in WvW, but agree that this could level out with better matchmaking and with more people joining other servers on release.

I think for the last Beta weekend I'm going to try a different character like a Necro and I think I'm going to go Human, as I expect starter zones to be rammed on release, so won't want them as a main. So far I've played Charr Mesmer, which was cool, Mesmer a bit broken atm but Charr personal quest and zones were really well designed. On release I'm probably going to go Asura elementalist.

Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    Desolation was pwning way too much in WvW, but agree that this could level out with better matchmaking and with more people joining other servers on release.
    The other issue is where else can we go, as an RPS community I feel strongly we need to be on an primarily English speaking server (but then I'm biased!) and with the way the communities nominated unofficial language servers before Anet came out and added a load of official ones there's surprisingly few options.

Here's the most up to date list I could find:

http://titanpad.com/ep/pad/view/4SyT2aGiZB/latest

If anyone else comes across any others please let me know.

I think for the last Beta weekend I'm going to try a different character like a Necro and I think I'm going to go Human, as I expect starter zones to be rammed on release, so won't want them as a main. So far I've played Charr Mesmer, which was cool, Mesmer a bit broken atm but Charr personal quest and zones were really well designed. On release I'm probably going to go Asura elementalist.
    Necro seemed pretty awesome, and a few other members of the Guild are definitely big fans.

Bear in mind that with the 3 day headstart its likely it will be Sylvari and Asuran starting zones that'll be packed. It depends on whether they release them as part of BWE3, but that seems unlikely.

Personally I've got a Warrior and Ele lined up as mains but I definitely want to give Guardian a shot on BWE3. Anybody got any thoughts on them? I can see if you simply like big damage numbers then you're gonna be unhappy but their benefit to the party looks outstanding.

I've only really tried ranger and thief, I love my ranger (who you might remember from the dungeon in the stress test) but my thief is pretty meh as of BWE2.

I guess I need to power-play 6 classes in bwe, ill move the espresso machine beside my laptop and have the cardiology unit on call.

Quote Originally Posted by Taverius View Post
    I've only really tried ranger and thief, I love my ranger (who you might remember from the dungeon in the stress test) but my thief is pretty meh as of BWE2.

I guess I need to power-play 6 classes in bwe, ill move the espresso machine beside my laptop and have the cardiology unit on call.
    Hehe.

Out of interest are you planning on sticking with Ranger for the release? Its potentially looking like the four of us will have Warrior, Guardian, Ele, and either Necro or Thief, so Ranger would be good for some dungeoneeering action

It was my main in GW1 and it looks like tall Norn Ranger lass will be my main in GW2 as well, but I do like to have a couple of alts around.

Probably a human warrior and a sylvari engineer, but ill try them all to lvl 14

The other issue is where else can we go, as an RPS community I feel strongly we need to be on an primarily English speaking server (but then I'm biased!)
    I agree with you completely. It isn't fun being on a server where more than half the population is speaking a different language and it becomes the norm to do it in public channels and/or grouping situations. I am not at all disturbed by people who speak a different language (I'm multilingual and can speak a total of 4) -- it's simply a concern with regards to communication.

And, well, I like Desolation as a name. "What server are you on?" "Desolation." Nice and memorable!

I would have gone to the unofficial RP server if I hadn't decided to finally join the RPS forums. I always go for RP servers in MMOs in the sometimes-vain hope of having a nice, mature community. Plus, I think I become nostalgic for my MUD days where people actually knew what RP was and even engaged in it. (And no, I'm not an RP-all-the-time person. I just like seeing names that are actual names. Seeing stuff like Itankuspank, Ipwnu, Mageurass, Thegreatdooder, etc. makes my eye twitch.)
    Last edited by Shy Otter; 02-07-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Also if anyone hasn't seen yet, here's the guild name voting thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...e-Poll-Phase-3

Good thing about GW2 is you can still play on an RP server if you want, as a guest, it's only WvW where you are tied to the home server.

Quote Originally Posted by Shy Otter View Post
    I agree with you completely. It isn't fun being on a server where more than half the population is speaking a different language and it becomes the norm to do it in public channels and/or grouping situations. I am not at all disturbed by people who speak a different language (I'm multilingual and can speak a total of 4) -- it's simply a concern with regards to communication.

And, well, I like Desolation as a name. "What server are you on?" "Desolation." Nice and memorable!

I would have gone to the unofficial RP server if I hadn't decided to finally join the RPS forums. I always go for RP servers in MMOs in the sometimes-vain hope of having a nice, mature community. Plus, I think I become nostalgic for my MUD days where people actually knew what RP was and even engaged in it. (And no, I'm not an RP-all-the-time person. I just like seeing names that are actual names. Seeing stuff like Itankuspank, Ipwnu, Mageurass, Thegreatdooder, etc. makes my eye twitch.)
    I also like that Desolation has been an apt description regarding our WvW performance thus far.

I'm not against a well thought out pun name, or pop culture ref - I wanted a mesmer called The Velour Fog, after the inestimable Zapp Brannigan but sadly its already - but I'm right there with you in terms of the examples you cite above. Although it never ceases to amuse me when I see the likes of Arthaslol or Legolazz.

By allowing space I think GW does a good job in preventing the kind of 'sentence in a word' names you often get in other games, although it hugely annoyed me playing the original when I was forced to have a second word.

Good thing about GW2 is you can still play on an RP server if you want, as a guest, it's only WvW where you are tied to the home server.
    The guest functionality is one I was reminded of the other day. I think its a really outstanding design decision.

On the naming front, there is a very nice thread on the GW2 Guru forums about the different races' naming conventions.

Also I was linked to this neat random name generator a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    On the naming front, there is a very nice thread on the GW2 Guru forums about the different races' naming conventions.

Also I was linked to this neat random name generator a while back.
    Looking at the Sylvari suggestions I now have a strange desire for them all to speak in broad welsh accents.

I kinda hope people have the imagination to come up with their own names more personal to them rather than use a name generator but that one does seem reasonably accomplished, certainly better than the Firefall one which, if I remember correctly, gave one of the yogscast guys the amusingly terrible name of ShootingButt

The forum has spoken...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...e-Poll-Phase-3

Long live Rock, Paper, Signet!

Sweet we haz a name! What now?