Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    It looks like the guild name formatting is the same as it was in GW1, in which case you pick both a full name and an acronym for the guild. RPS would obviously be the latter, the former I would be happy with Shiverpeaks personally.

As for beta burnout, I plan on avoiding it by limiting myself in the number of characters I play (most likely just the one) and I won't be playing a norn or a guardian, since that's going to be my main at launch and I don't want to spoil the profession or norn personal story for myself.

Network Hub
    The idea of a guild from here sounds good, it will be important to have a decent leader tho and some kind of ranking structure which doesn't alienate lesser skilled/not as hardcore players.
    It should be a very good game is guildwars 1 is anything to go by, playing in a guild is what this game is all about. I loved the PVP aspect of the original game and played it to death.

Rock Paper Stormbringer

personally I'd stick with just calling it rock paper shotgun, whats the point in changing the s? Can't wait now!

A guild of friendly, laid back forumers sounds ace to me.

The guild name is of lesser importance, but if we are to change the S, it surely has to follow the weapon/weapon/weapon convention. As mighty as the Shiverpeaks are, using them in a hand-based-argument-deciding-luck/skill-face-off would be somewhat unwieldy (plus, they are rock-based...) Of the skill or weapon names released so far, Scepter, Shockwave and Skull-Crack seem the least lame that begin with S.

Indeed. The game's lack of subscription tells you right away you don't need to be a super-focussed committed group to enjoy it. A relaxed friendly bunch is what appeals to me in a guild in any game.

And yeah, I like the idea of the continuation of the weapon theme. Or at least skill types.
    • Scepter
    • Shortbow
    • Shout ("Rock Paper Shouting" sounds ace, actually)
    • greatSword/Greatsword (keeping the short name as "RPS" of course)
    • gunShot/Gunshot (ditto)

I really don't mind how the name ends up, I will trust and go along with whatever. My only real preference is that I would rather take a punny guild name over of the name of our mothership website verbatim.

Besides, talking about the name is a welcome distraction from the fact that I still can't play this game yet!
    Last edited by Screwie; 15-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.

I think when it comes to choosing a server may be worth looking at where PC Gamer's guild ends up, usually there is an overlap with RPS.

Personally unless there's a truly excellent pun, would be better to just go with Rock Paper Shotgun. Lots of time to keep thinking of one though and playing the game in Beta will throw up more ideas

Rock, Paper, Shining Blade (not really a blade though)?

Edit: Rock, Paper, Smiting Prayer?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I'm certainly up for joining an RPS guild.

Not sure how likely it is I'll get into the next beta weekend as my pre-purchase is from play and they have stock problems. But they are still 10 cheaper so I'm loathe to change to an expensive one to get in for the weekend (cheapest in stock I can see is shopto at 48.85).

Rock Paper Shortbow?
    Rock Paper Shadowtrap?
    Rock Paper Smoke Screen?
    Rock Paper Shockwave?

Network Hub
    Rock Paper Sylvari has a nice ring to it. Of the weapon ones it would have to be Rock Paper Shortbow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Since you can be in multiple guilds I'm definitely down for the RPS one.

I'd go with Signet for what it's worth, it's a bit more 'guildwars' than the rest.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Obscure Node
    a RPS guild sounds great and definately up for joining in beta and on release

I would suggest making it on the emptiest server possible. It was mentioned in the press that the starting areas of the last beta were pretty busy and the public quests turned into a bit of a hectic free for all.

@duff. I take your point and broadly agree, that being said I've made the mistake in WoW before of ending up on a server with too few people, and despite the queues SWTOR was badly underpopulated all over although that seemed more by design.

Plainly when a game is available for a restricted timeframe the opening areas are going to be incredibly crowded. For the sake of the beta weekends I still suggest we congregate on 'Vabbi' (predominantly because its a server name I can give you now). While progress will not be saved between beta weekends its a fair bet people will gradually congregate to the same server as previous weekends and then nearer the release we can judge whether we want to go with a different server.

Re: peoples suggestions for the guild name, for the sake of the weekends I'll go with Rock, Paper, Shotgun but nearer the release we can have a phased vote i.e. phase one Shotgun / something else? phase2 and beyond, what the something else is (if that wins)

Now I just wish they'd clarify when it starts on Friday so I can figure out if its worth booking the day off work.

If i succomb to the tentation. Which i probably will, knowing myself. I would love to be a part of the RPS Guild !

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    @duff. I take your point and broadly agree, that being said I've made the mistake in WoW before of ending up on a server with too few people, and despite the queues SWTOR was badly underpopulated all over although that seemed more by design.

Plainly when a game is available for a restricted timeframe the opening areas are going to be incredibly crowded. For the sake of the beta weekends I still suggest we congregate on 'Vabbi' (predominantly because its a server name I can give you now). While progress will not be saved between beta weekends its a fair bet people will gradually congregate to the same server as previous weekends and then nearer the release we can judge whether we want to go with a different server.
    Fine be me.

I'll aim for Vabbi and keep an eye on this thread in case the servers come up with whole new names on Friday.

Count me in for that! It's nice to know there will be a group of somewhat likeminded people to play with so early on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I will be so up for this, as long as you guys don't mind a not very good MMO player tagging along.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I will be so up for this, as long as you guys don't mind a not very good MMO player tagging along.
    No! We want only l33t pl@yorz. If you can't do a 360 crushing blow sod off.

My 360 crushing blowz skillz are legendary. From Azeroth to Hyboria via Tatooine the tales of my infinite prowess at pressing the 1-8 keys have spread. Now I lie in wait, pressy fingers taut in anticipation as I ready myself to unleash the arcane lore of how to google 'GW2 Thief PVE build' and then tick the requisite boxes in-game. Worlds will tremble.

(In my opinion being 'good' at an mmo at least until raid/hardmore content basically requires being relatively affable and being able to spell to a level that doesn't incur brain-melting aneurysms on those upon whom you inflict said affability, I'm sure everyone on RPS can manage that!).
    Last edited by Jockie; 19-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    (In my opinion being 'good' at an mmo at least until raid/hardmore content basically requires being relatively affable and being able to spell to a level that doesn't incur brain-melting aneurysms on those upon whom you inflict said affability, I'm sure everyone on RPS can manage that!).
    Well sir I suggest you prepare to have your opinions challenged then!

W+1 isnt going to be enough in my experience so far. Some of the elite/veteran etc mobs that wander the world are decidedly tough and those that are used to playing dps in group play are suddenly going to find out how easy they had it when mobs come tearing after them. Its also not afraid to throw a lot (and I really mean A LOT) of monsters your way even when solo'ing.

That being said there's definitely an upper limit on the scaling so if you find yourself in a mass zerg you're gonna wanna go somewhere else unless you like steamrollering everything.

PS there is no end game/raid content planned, at least in the conventional sense. The explorable mode dungeons are doubling for end game as best I can gather and if you watch some of Total Biscuit's coverage they are supposedly very challenging
    Last edited by Timofee; 19-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Well sir I suggest you prepare to have your opinions challenged then!

W+1 isnt going to be enough in my experience so far. Some of the elite/veteran etc mobs that wander the world are decidedly tough and those that are used to playing dps in group play are suddenly going to find out how easy they had it when mobs come tearing after them. Its also not afraid to throw a lot (and I really mean A LOT) of monsters your way even when solo'ing.

That being said there's definitely an upper limit on the scaling so if you find yourself in a mass zerg you're gonna wanna go somewhere else unless you like steamrollering everything.

PS there is no end game/raid content planned, at least in the conventional sense. The explorable mode dungeons are doubling for end game as best I can gather and if you watch some of Total Biscuit's coverage they are supposedly very challenging
    Yeah, i saw TB's 'Explorable' vid, that's kind of what i meant by hardmode. I haven't played GW2 (other than 45 mins at the EG Expo, where I didn't encounter anything remotely challenging, but was also in the noob area) so obviously I have no idea how difficult it is. But honestly being killed in the first 10-15 levels in an mmo by anything other than accidentally trying to solo a mob clearly meant for a group would be a pleasant surprise.

And on Twitter