Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    ArenaNet have put up a new blog post about the beta weekend. You can't see it though, as the site's gone down (haha)... but here is the pertinent info:
    • No sylvari or asura yet.
    • The neutral city, Lion's Arch will be open to players for the first time!

Source (reddit, for now).

I shall be PVPing, get stuck into the WvW and some structured pvp. As is my endgame intention in the final release of GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    I shall be PVPing, get stuck into the WvW and some structured pvp. As is my endgame intention in the final release of GW2.
    I shall certainly be partaking of some WvW, we must form a merry band and go raid some of the smaller keeps, rather than tediously sitting outside the main one breaking doors down without siege weapons.

Also a tip for anyone that hasn't played it yet, and I cannot stress this enough, 'supply' is critical to success

I saw yesterday that GW2 are almost at half a million 'likes' on Facebook. They will be releasing a piece of art at every 10,000 'likes' before they reach that figure, then release a final piece which we'll apparently really, really like when the 500,000 is hit.

Here's hoping for some fancy WordArt showing the release date.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I saw yesterday that GW2 are almost at half a million 'likes' on Facebook. They will be releasing a piece of art at every 10,000 'likes' before they reach that figure, then release a final piece which we'll apparently really, really like when the 500,000 is hit.

Here's hoping for some fancy WordArt showing the release date.
    Personally, I back their "it'll be finished when it's finished" refusal to cite a date. From what my friend who's NDA'd says about the previous betas, the stuff out is pretty polished - if imbalanced - so I suspect they know what they're doing, and I for one want a perfect game rather than a great-but-flawed game two months earlier.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Personally, I back their "it'll be finished when it's finished" refusal to cite a date
    Agreed, if anything I'm slightly concerned its going to take them longer than the late summer that seems to be the general consensus of when it'll be released.

I'll be miffed if it comes out in late September / October when I'm in Canada for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    My 360 crushing blowz skillz are legendary. From Azeroth to Hyboria via Tatooine the tales of my infinite prowess at pressing the 1-8 keys have spread. Now I lie in wait, pressy fingers taut in anticipation as I ready myself to unleash the arcane lore of how to google 'GW2 Thief PVE build' and then tick the requisite boxes in-game. Worlds will tremble.

(In my opinion being 'good' at an mmo at least until raid/hardmore content basically requires being relatively affable and being able to spell to a level that doesn't incur brain-melting aneurysms on those upon whom you inflict said affability, I'm sure everyone on RPS can manage that!).
    Well, we have to actually dodge and be more situationally aware than 'don't stand in fire' for this game. No tank to do all the hard work for you, and that's why it's looking potentially brilliant.

Personally I'm more of a pvp player and from what I've seen I will be well catered for aswell. My biggest problem with traditional MMO's pvp was that some classes (especially healers) were just impossible to kill for others (usually classes with few interrupts and low burst damage), you can stand raining down hell for 30 minutes on that resto druid but he ain't going nowhere (try having fun in arena games that last over an hour, but you can tell in the first few minutes that, barring a massive fuck up, your teams healer will be OOM first). With tanks and healers gone things are much more fluid. From a pvp perspective this game looks like the MMO I've been waiting for.
    Last edited by duff; 20-04-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Agreed, if anything I'm slightly concerned its going to take them longer than the late summer that seems to be the general consensus of when it'll be released.

I'll be miffed if it comes out in late September / October when I'm in Canada for 3 weeks.
    I think late summer's a bit optimistic, but I don't think it'll be later than the holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    (In my opinion being 'good' at an mmo at least until raid/hardmore content basically requires being relatively affable and being able to spell to a level that doesn't incur brain-melting aneurysms on those upon whom you inflict said affability, I'm sure everyone on RPS can manage that!).
    Pfft. You give raiders too much credit. Spelling remains unrepentantly horrible and most of them couldn't keep from standing in fire even if the leader was screaming at them over Vent to do so. I'm of the (assertively grim) opinion that the only skill involved in raiding in specific and MMOs in general is in not reaching my hand into the internet to sucker punch every mouthbreathing Darwin award winner personally.

So the fact that this game dispenses with the holy trinity and actually has dodging and directional attacks is, to me, a step in the right direction. Soon we'll get to walking and chewing gum!
    Last edited by Nalano; 20-04-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

If the game could come out in october it would be better for me I should have finish the renovation of our appartment, leaving me with at least a bit of time to play.

My problem with MMO nowadays is that it's hard for me to commit a long period of time to it without pause. Damn kids.

The official site now has a countdown timer for the beta weekend. It works out to a 8pm start (UK time).

Network Hub
    Although I won't be around for the beta, I'll most likely end up buying this close to launch, simply because I love the community feeling of other MMO's i've played, but couldn't stomach the subscription costs. Never played Guild Wars before, but this sound like it'll be right up my alley, and having a group as laid back as this forum seems to be would be fantastic. So, basically, tentatively count me in for when the game properly launches.

That being said, i'm in Canada, so i'm not sure if that'll affect whether or not I can do this. I read something about being able to switch locations in servers, but I don't really know how that works/applies to this.

Considering I have no MMO friends (and in the game...et cetera, et cetera) a RPS group sounds amazing. I hope there will be enough North/South Americans joining in so the guild isn't empty during prime PDT hours. Friday at noon will be sweet!

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Anyone can jump on different servers for PVE content. The problem with the EU/Us split is if people want to do WvW as that's limited to your base server.

I for one am very interested in the WvW so we are likely to need some co-ordination when picking servers.

On the topic of creating a guildname, since you'll be able to pick a name and add a tag to it as well as being able to join multiple guilds maybe it's an idea to create multiple guilds under the same [RPS] tag focusing on different aspects of the game.

For example:
    PVP focused group
    PVE focused group
    General chat/overarching guild

Just speculating though, I can see the guild getting diluted too much this way if we can't gather the numbers in order for this to work.

At the same time everyone could just join every guild and we display whichever one is appropriate at the time Diluting the pool means that the resources and rewards we earn in-game are also getting spread thinner, though.

I don't think there is a clean solution for the home server split when it comes to WvW, which is a pity. The neatest I can think of is a single guild for each of the EU/NA server clusters with a lot of membership crossover between them (for PvE)... but there might be a better way of doing it.

Right now (iirc) we don't know if WvW will take place across all servers or only in their own clusters, anyway.

I'm sure we'll have something figured out once the game launches, but it's always good to be organized and ready for action.
    I'm just excited about the game that's all. (Probably a bit too much for my own good.)

Network Hub
    Personally i'm more interested in PvE stuff, so the WvW split doesn't hugely concern me. I suppose that we could, like Screwie said, just have branches of the guild in each region that fight together during WvW, with one main "hub" guild used for PvE? I'm not really clear on the mechanics at work in the game, so i'm not quite sure.

Also, ConcreteOtter, i'm on PST, so I'll hopefully be able to join you, though i'm not sure if it'll be on Friday's at noon.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Got my pre-order box in the post this morning so I'll be happily jumping in this weekend if all goes to plan.

Btw, how're we going to fight over officer positions, guild crests etc. Democratically or bare knuckled? :]

Yeah we'll have to see in this beta how a guild will work across regions - I'm optimistic on the PVE side for mega PVE guild containing both US and EU players to be viable. Anet said they have guild event calendars for differing timezones and some of the biggest pve guilds in GW1 were multinational, so it would be a surprise to me if this is not possible.

WvW will likely need subset guilds given the region locking. That's ok as long as we get the flag design right for when we claim towers

I guess for officers and stuff, how did they do it in the RPS EVE and Perpetuum guilds?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    The neatest I can think of is a single guild for each of the EU/NA server clusters with a lot of membership crossover between them (for PvE)... but there might be a better way of doing it.

Right now (iirc) we don't know if WvW will take place across all servers or only in their own clusters, anyway.
    Agreed re: NA and EU WvW Guild - plus I wouldn't wish 200ms PvP on anyone. I gather servers will rotate but almost certainly not cross continent. For PVE however we dont wanna dilute the guild by having sub ones at least until we get a handle on numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Btw, how're we going to fight over officer positions, guild crests etc. Democratically or bare knuckled? :]
    We shall operate on strict kakistocratic(al?) lines