Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    Ah good, that's probably for the best. Thanks for the quick reply, Screwie!

Activated Node
    By the way guys, we should discuss setting some kind of (optional but recommended) tithing system to help the guild out, not just with one-off costs like upgrades and stuff but also with continuous expenses like buying siege weapons in wvw and even inviting members (it'll cost 2 silver just to create the guild and when we pass 100 members it'll cost us 10 silver more!). Now I don't think our needs will be so huge that we would need to police this to make sure people are contributing - we'll probably be fine just running it on an honour system. However, because some people might not be aware that these running costs even exist, maybe we should just politely suggest to every new member that it would be nice of them to toss say 5-10% of their weekly earnings into the change jar to help keep the lights on in the place? I think if even half the members contributed as little as 5% we'll be swimming in it and our foes shall learn the dread the rumble of our siege weapons! Although not before we can pay off the 10 silver for lifting the 100-member cap...

Quote Originally Posted by manveruppd View Post
    Tithing system
    I am strictly against any kind of ongoing tithing system which is not based on voluntary donations. Even if it is only a percentage of earnings, the mere fact that we're asking money of people in an ongoing manner is unappealing to me.

We wouldn't be able to monitor the payments in the first place, so why not just go by a case-to-case basis and put up guild messages from time to time informing people that we are planning to buy some upgrades or siege weapons and that any help would be welcome.

This way, we'll still get enough money for everything (I don't think the 10 silver will be a big problem, really) and people won't feel pushed to give away something when they can't really afford it.
    Last edited by Squiz; 20-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    Forum janitor in training.

I don't think so - its not really needed. 10 silver is nothing, and I will pay for all guild member cap upgrades. That being said, on a related note, the one thing I am rethinking is allowing everyone to invite people to the guild as I don't want to end up with a random collection of people who don't know one and other.

For WvW: aside from the very first time you play, thereafter you can pay for siege weapons with Badges of Honour of whatever they're called, which you get from simply killing people. Obviously if we decide to claim a keep to try and defend for the two week period it'd be nice if we could spread around the costs somewhat but I think that's entirely down to the peeps on mumble volunteering to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinbee View Post
    Evening all. Long time reader, first time poster here.

I'll get straight to the point: I've been looking for a large-ish GW2 guild to join, and the idea of being in an RPS one sure is appealing. I've known that you'll be forming a guild for a while now but I was never particularly keen on playing on Desolation due to it looking like it'll be loud and noisy. Gunnar's Hold on the other hand looks quite pleasant, so consider this my formal "hey can I play with you guys" thing.

A little background: I'm a filthy WoW-player, but am only really motivated to play it by the small guild that I'm in. I've been encouraging them to get into GW2 (because I'm super keen on it), and a few will be playing, but not enough to do proper guildy things all the time. We'll still form a guild but what with the multi-guild feature, I decided that I'd also like to join a larger guild for WvW and adventuring and stuff. Not sure what the others want to do, but we're a pretty goofy bunch and would fit in just fine if we all wanted to join.

So that's me. I'll probably be playing an asura warrior, if that matters.
    Welcome! If you've read the thread you'll know the deal by now - please drop me a PM with your account name (the one with four numbers at the end) and I'll ensure you're on the 'list'

Hey guys,

I am staying away from GW2 as long as I haven't finished renovating my flat and moved, but I'll definitively gonna play at some point in the near future (hopefuly october). Even if my friends are going to play on a French server I am gonna roll on desolation or wherever the good folks of RPS are. I'll try not to reroll too much (not at all if I can help it) and would probably play an Asura something, Mesmer or Engineer.

My guts usually make me play heavy mélée characters such as fighter, warriors, paladins and the like, with the most brutal appearance and but for this one I'll try something else.

I haven't read nor seen much about the game so far and want to discover the most in game so I won't be very active in this forum before starting for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    The one thing I am rethinking is allowing everyone to invite people to the guild as I don't want to end up with a random collection of people who don't know one and other.
    Easy solution is to only invite people who post in the RPS thread, whether it's this one or a new thread for people who want to join the guild. People met ingame can be directed here to do that, it's a simple thing to register, say hi and post a name.

Also means there is no need for a mass of people with invite permissions or wondering where random names have come from, just whoever has time to check this subforum and add the names ingame.
    Last edited by sendmark; 20-08-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    Easy solution is to only invite people who post in the RPS thread, whether it's this one or a new thread for people who want to join the guild. People met ingame can be directed here to do that, it's a simple thing to register, say hi and post a name. This also seems most appropriate if it's an RPS guild. Also means there is no need for a mass of people with invite permissions or wondering where random names have come from, just whoever has time to check this subforum now and then.
    I'd second that. I can't see a good reason not to make people come here and at least register for a quick "Hi there, my name is ...". The guild will grow and prosper either way, I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    That seems a fair requirement.

Activated Node
    On that note, I've finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered the game. I've picked up the boxed version from GreenManGaming so I'm not sure if I'll be there for launch day or not. I've never really gotten past the starter area of any MMOs before but seeing as I've actually had to spend money this time I expect to stick around for a bit longer.

I'm not really sure what being a member of the guild will get me but as long as I'm not expected to turn up at set times then I'd like to give it a go if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarster View Post
    I'm not really sure what being a member of the guild will get me but as long as I'm not expected to turn up at set times then I'd like to give it a go if possible.
    What it will get you is a bloody good time with other friendly people at your own pace whenever you feel like it. :P

Another pretty key point, given we're almost at launch - what's the plan in terms of guild leveling?

Level 1 architecture for the guild workshop and level 1 politics for the guild emblem template seem essential early on. After that it seems a split between Storage, PVP or PVE.

Perhaps fairest to get the emblem first, then guild workshop, then with the two work slots have one on Art of War (pvp) and one on Economy (PVE)? (If that will work).

Going higher than guild workshop in architecture does not seem essential to me until endgame crafting. There's a lot of space in individual banks when you factor in the crafting storage. Also going higher in Politics than level 1 only seems to generate cosmetic effects and temporary PVE bonuses that are better covered in Economy.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Politics

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Guild Workshop is a priority, for sure.

In the longer term I would personally like to see the Guild Armorer and Guild Weapons Contracts for fancy items, although I believe we have to upgrade Politics quite a bit for those.

Obscure Node
    Long time RPS reader, first time poster (ooo-er).
    Really looking forward to release (and yes, I'll be spamming that login button at about 4:58 on Saturday morning).

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    *snip*
    Hey, do give us a shout when you get round to getting in the game

Easy solution is to only invite people who post in the RPS thread, whether it's this one or a new thread for people who want to join the guild. People met ingame can be directed here to do that, it's a simple thing to register, say hi and post a name.

Also means there is no need for a mass of people with invite permissions or wondering where random names have come from, just whoever has time to check this subforum and add the names ingame.
    Sounds like a plan

Another pretty key point, given we're almost at launch - what's the plan in terms of guild leveling?

Level 1 architecture for the guild workshop and level 1 politics for the guild emblem template seem essential early on. After that it seems a split between Storage, PVP or PVE.

Perhaps fairest to get the emblem first, then guild workshop, then with the two work slots have one on Art of War (pvp) and one on Economy (PVE)? (If that will work).

Going higher than guild workshop in architecture does not seem essential to me until endgame crafting. There's a lot of space in individual banks when you factor in the crafting storage. Also going higher in Politics than level 1 only seems to generate cosmetic effects and temporary PVE bonuses that are better covered in Economy.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Politics
    This is what I worked out a couple of months ago as something of an optimum build to support the big chunk of people that are playing significantly across the first few days.

Name Time Type Build Order Cost
    Architecture 1 16 Hrs Architecture 1 500
    Guild Workshop 2 Days Architecture 2 500
    Economy 1 16 Hrs Economy 3a 500
    Politics 1 16 Hrs Politics 3b 500
    +5% Exp 1 Day Economy 4a 200
    Guild Emblem Template 1 Day Politics 4b 100
    +5% Influence 1 Day Politics 5a 50
    Art of War 1 16 Hrs Art of War 5b 500

Some of these will be hurried depending on the amount of influence pouring in, which based on BWEs was significant.

Thereafter it becomes a little more fluid. I'll certainly get the Guild Bank fairly soon although I dont see a huge amount of use for it as the principal use of guild banks in all my previous MMOs (from my experience at least) has been for high level chars to give items that wouldn't sell for much to fellow low level guildies however now you always get level appropriate loot that may change
    Last edited by Timofee; 20-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.

On a similar theme, I guess peeps may be interested regarding my intentions for guild ranks.

Clearly the most important part was to have a rank called Peasant. Squires are for friends of friends so if you want to vouch for some being trustworthy then we can pop them there. At one point I was considering a bunch of WvW ranks but it seemed kinda pointless. Claiming a keep is fairly significant since the guild can only have one so if there's enough trust that you wont be silly about that you may as well be trusted with everything else

For those who've just initially come forward into the community to join the guild [edit: and not really participated on the forums thereafter] I'm considering keeping you as peasants (someone has to! ;P) until we get a feel for who are. But I'm open to suggestions if people think this is overly mean.

Rank King Duke Knight Squire Peasant
    Alt (Leader) (Officer) (RPSers) (Vouched for)
    Edit Ranks X
    Edit Guild Emblem X
    Claim/Unclaim WvW Forts X X
    Queue Upgrades X X
    Modify Upgrade In Progress X X
    Activate Built Upgrades X X
    Admin Lower Ranks X X
    Edit Message of the Day X X
    Display Guild Emblem X X X X X
    Guild Stash Deposit X X X X X
    Guild Stash Withdraw X X X X
    Treasure Trove Deposit X X X
    Treasure Trove Withdraw X X
    Starting Rank X

Quote Originally Posted by Tichinde View Post
    Long time RPS reader, first time poster (ooo-er).
    Really looking forward to release (and yes, I'll be spamming that login button at about 4:58 on Saturday morning).
    Hey, welcome.

IMO:

Claim/Unclaim forts for all ranks, including peasant. From my limited understanding there's no disadvantage here? Certainly I think should include RPSers at least. Don't want to zerg a fort then realise no officer is there to claim it

Treasure Trove deposit to all ranks. No harm in letting everyone deposit.

Guild stash withdrawal for RPSers upwards. Vouched Fors can always join RPS or ask a ranking friend to withdraw their stuff for them? I guess depends on how much valuable stuff gets put into guild vault and how much vouched fors are trustworthy

Also I think Peasants should be anyone who joins the guild but has not yet posted on the RPS forum (this may mean doing away with Vouched For rank), or maybe keep Vouched For and Peasants should be people who joined and posted on RPS forum but only on or after Saturday (headstart opens).
    Last edited by sendmark; 20-08-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Hi guys,

I'm a regular reader of RPS and as of late I find myself checking the RPS forums more often. I have a good feeling about the RPS community and I'm looking for a GW2 Guild to enjoy the game with. So, I would be glad to join Rock Paper Signet and play with you guys.
    I've already sent a PM with my account name to Timofee.

If my name finds the way on "that list" Timofee keeps, I'll see everybody in game on Saturday!

Edit: I'm EU timezone btw...

Cheers
    Björn

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One thing I'm not clear on: are guilds restricted to the server they are created on?

I ask because chances are there'll be people on US servers playing too (like myself) that would still like to be part of the guild, but I'm not entirely sure how that'd work out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You can join and use the guild chat cross-server, I'm pretty sure.

If I read the wiki page correctly, earned influence only counts for the server you're currently playing on, though. I guess this also means you have different guild improvements? I don't really understand.

However, Influence is accrued and spent separately by the guild members on each world. For example, a guild with Canadian players on Darkhaven, British players on Blacktide, and Berliners on Riverside will have three different pools of Influence and three different build queues.