Lesser Hivemind Node

Arcania Gothic 4

So...anyone have any experience with Gothic 4? Tried the new version of Gothic 3, but it just..doesn't run worth a crap. Even on an i7 with an NVidia GTV 460, 2GB GPU RAM. Stutters, crashes. Hangs all the time. No mods, no nothing. Just the new, enhanced version itself. Constant frame rate issues, and mind you, I can run Witcher 2 on that rig with some settings on high.

But I was wondering...tried to find a positive review of Gothic 4. Mostly, failed. But I take reviews with a large helping of salt since the 9.2 and 9.5 for DA2 and Skyrim, respectively.

If anyone could provide an opinion of Gothic 4 based on experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I played the demo (available on Steam) and apart from a few graphics issues at the time (my system has since changed) I have to admit I didn't dislike the experience.

A lot of the outcry against it was less about it being crap, I think, and more about it "not being like them uvvas wot exist".

And it has a Dynamedion soundtrack. <3

Gothic 4 is done by a different team than the previous ones, ain't it? I think the original Gothic team did Risen after Gothic 3. I might be wrong though, since I haven't really played any of them.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Gothic 4 is done by a different team than the previous ones, ain't it? I think the original Gothic team did Risen after Gothic 3. I might be wrong though, since I haven't really played any of them.
    Yeah, that's right. The original Gothic studio moved on to Risen/Risen 2.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Nearly forgot we have risen 2 out almost-this-month, as well. I just hope they improve combat (surprise). The only thing held me back from Risen was the combat. Its hard....but its also unexciting, unless it gets much better later on. In that case I think I might have missed a gem. But it seemed overly redundant to me, and not very gripping or strategic. Basically, Oblivion's A for attack, B for block all over again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My experience from the demo of Gothic 4 was that it seemed all right, with quaintly stupid dialogue.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I think these games should either go for Assassin's Creed style combat, or Mount & Blade.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think these games should either go for Assassin's Creed style combat, or Mount & Blade.
    Agreed.

Also wondering if I might be missing out on something with not having played Risen now. tried the short demo, didn't grip me. But I checked out some short videos of later game play, and it looks solid. Also, I hear choices matter in Risen.

Being a huge fan of the first two Gothic games I bought Arcania: Gothic 4. Did not enjoy it. Unlike the previous games Gothic 4 is very linear so much of what I enjoyed in the earlier games was totally gone.

I guess depending on what your expectations going in are, you might find it enjoyable.

Risen was, however, real good!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    My experience from the demo of Gothic 4 was that it seemed all right, with quaintly stupid dialogue.
    The whole game is like the demo. It doesn't get better and nor worse. The game is very linear and most of the sidequests are of the "kill 20 enemies" kind.

Arcania is the saline IV drip of games. It serves a purpose, but no one would actively describe it as enjoyable.

Activated Node
    Not really sure what "these games" means in this context. AC's combat (entire series) is pretty repetitive and formulaic, and Mount & Blade is a slightly awkward simulation with no obvious connection to realtime action RPGs. Haven't played the crappy-looking Gothic 4, but the earlier games in the series have a very distinct combat system which plays neither like AC nor M&B and is all the better for it...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So...anyone have any experience with Gothic 4? Tried the new version of Gothic 3, but it just..doesn't run worth a crap. Even on an i7 with an NVidia GTV 460, 2GB GPU RAM. Stutters, crashes. Hangs all the time. No mods, no nothing. Just the new, enhanced version itself. Constant frame rate issues, and mind you, I can run Witcher 2 on that rig with some settings on high.

But I was wondering...tried to find a positive review of Gothic 4. Mostly, failed. But I take reviews with a large helping of salt since the 9.2 and 9.5 for DA2 and Skyrim, respectively.

If anyone could provide an opinion of Gothic 4 based on experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Which version of Gothic 3 do you have? With the latest 1.74 patch (http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=166) it runs more than great on less than great machines.

Arcania (a Gothic sequel in nothing but name), is a crappy, linear, excuse of an action RPG that is not worth anyone's time or money. Try Risen instead. Also, Risen 2 is out soon, although they pulled some 0day DLC shenanigans with that one..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I have the Elder Gods edition of Gothic 3, from Steam. Pretty decent looking game...but it ran terribly badly. And this is the Forsaken Gods edition of the game, mind you.

I may give Risen a try. Shame though, to have Gothic 3 sitting there unplayable...
    Last edited by Blackcompany; 31-03-2012 at 07:40 PM.

I may give Risen a try. Shame though, to have Gothic 3 sitting there unplayable...
    Strange. I don't know about this new version, but the original Gothic 3 with the fan patch runs beautifully on my now-five-year-old machine.

Wanted to echo what Prokroustis said. It's not useful to think of Arcania as a Gothic game at all... very little narrative continuity to the rest of the series, and the game design is wholly different. Where, now years removed from playing it, I could probably draw you a map of Gothic 3 and roughly recount its story, I already recall almost nothing of Arcania. Just a vague recollection of a feeling of regret for buying it at full price.

Network Hub
    I have the Elder Gods edition of Gothic 3, from Steam. Pretty decent looking game...but it ran terribly badly. And this is the Forsaken Gods edition of the game, mind you.
    What you have is unfortunately not Gothic 3, but its standalone expansion, which was not made by Piranha Bytes (developers of Gothic 1-3 and Risen).

This is Gothic 3, note that it doesn't come patched to the latest version as I mentioned, and is a great game.