Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend me a recent point and click adventure game

Well I say "recent" but the last adventure game I remember playing was "The Dig" roughly when it came out.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Ben There, Dan That is a good free game. It's continuation, "Time Gentlemen Please!" Is one of the best adventure games I've ever played.

That depends on your preference of setting, tone and frustration resistance.

Two words. Gemini. Rue.

I'll second Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen Please!

Both are absolutely hilarious.

Network Hub
    Telltale games are usually great if a bit simplistic, particularly the Sam and Max series.

There are scads of free games made in Adventure Games Studio at http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ Try Yahtzee's games, including the Chzo Mythos series (5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes and 6 Days a Sacrifice.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    If you want trenchcoat-wearing detectives running around a dirty sci-fi setting, look no further than Gemini Rue. If you're more partial to comedic fantasy, The Book of Unwritten Tales isn't half bad (though there's a few too many pop culture references). In my opinion though, you just can't beat a good Sam & Max adventure from TellTale.

LA Noire. Yes, it counts.

Dammit, I forgot to mention this one.

Crass but hilarious. But, very crass. You've been warned.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just noticed I previously picked up Ben There, so that'll be the one for now I think.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    If you want something pretty and charming, I'd suggest Machinarium.

Machinarium is great, as has been said already. Samorost is by the same people, and it's free (and good in its own right).

There's also the Blackwell games, the most recent of which is Deception. I think the plot is important enough that most people suggest starting with at least the second (Unbound) to avoid spoilers. I haven't really played them, but enjoyed the demo of Convergence.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gemini Rue is the only point n' click adventure game I'd suggest someone, unless they were a genre addict because even more than the beautiful Machinarium (and it's clever if annoying hints system) it was playable and lacked bull'ish moon logic puzzles, no walkthrough required.

However Zack and Wiki on the Wii was excellent also and could also be played by a genre virgin without gamefaqs on another screen.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

As cute and cool as Machinarium was, as good as its animation and sounds were, I hated it as a game. Frustrating and arbitrary puzzles, including those goddamn logic puzzles, the flimsiest and thinnest of plots, the complete absence of dialogue (which would be fine if they'd done a better job of communicating things), it was just...I wouldn't recommend it. Samorost was worse, it takes about half an hour and plays like a flash game cos that's what it is. Just watch a video of it or something, all the benefits and none of the rising urge to kill.

Aaaanyway Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen are the funniest adventure games I've played in the last decade, though the puzzles again get pretty frustrating in the last hour of the second. Of Telltale's oeuvre, I think the Strongbad Adventures are the funniest stuff they've done, and the Tales of Monkey Island were their most complete story arc of episodes. Telltale also have the advantage of being less impenetrable in their puzzles.

To The Moon

Machinarium and Ben There Dan That are great, I agree. If the last thing you played is really The Dig, though, you should really play The Longest Journey.

Zork Grand Inquisitor is also really wonderfully charming and funny and on sale at GOG for $3 right now: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/zork_grand_inquisitor

Ah yes, if you're going on pure story you can't really get better than Dreamfall, and I suppose you would have to play The Longest Journey out of a misguided sense of completionism before you did that.

A quick +1 to Gemini Rue, Machinarium, Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please. Telltale also seem to have been on a roll for a while now, though I've only played Sam and Max thus far.

I picked up a couple of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games in the Steam sale last year, Jack the Ripper and The Awakened. Both let you switch between first person view and third person point-and-click movement as you like. Although they are both mashups that sound like they could be tacky at first (Jack the Ripper is self-explanatory and The Awakened brings in some Lovecraftian elements) they're both nicely done for low budget games.

For a leftfield recommendation, I'd say give Amnesia: The Dark Descent a try. Although it's ostensibly a first-person survival horror, the way you manipulate objects in the game is simple, very elegant and actually feels like a logical evolution of point and click. Plus there's quite a lot of good quality mods available.

Edit: removed a mis-spelling.
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    As cute and cool as Machinarium was, as good as its animation and sounds were, I hated it as a game. Frustrating and arbitrary puzzles, including those goddamn logic puzzles,
    Yes. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    the flimsiest and thinnest of plots, the complete absence of dialogue (which would be fine if they'd done a better job of communicating things), it was just...I wouldn't recommend it. Samorost was worse, it takes about half an hour and plays like a flash game cos that's what it is. Just watch a video of it or something, all the benefits and none of the rising urge to kill.
    Noooo. no. no no.

So right and so wrong in a single post. seems unpossible.

you enjoyed Samorost??!