Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

RPG with Solid Combat

So...just finished the Witcher 2 (first of at least 2 play throughs.) Tried going back to Skyrim, and I just...can't. so...hoping others might have some good gaming suggestions. On the one hand, looking for a solid RPG with a good combat system. Amalur's been nice, but its missing...something. Hard to put a finger on.

Then again, something off the wall and completely different might not be out of place, either. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are we talking action-RPGs here?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Any RPG, really. But if combat plays a major role, a decent combat system is a must. Something more than Skyrim's Nintendo-esque A to attack, B to block system would be a welcome change.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I've been looking for the same.

I'm hoping Grimrock will scratch the tactical RPG itch when it's out.

But there's a lack of decent Action RPGs. Or at least action RPGs that aren;t the linear button mashing games of old. SOmething open-world and Sandbox like the TES games but with Action RPG mechanics is kinda a totally unfilled niche...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mass Effect 2 and 3
    Dungeon Siege 3
    Risen

That's off the top of my head.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    DSIII was pretty good. Finished during a week long flu. Got it free with a gaming rig I was too lazy (and fat fingered) to build myself. So I thought, why not. Pretty good, if you play as Lucas. And the RPG options shocked me. Your choices really did influence the story.

But I agree...why can we not get action-RPG combat in an Elder Scrolls like title? Amalur tried, and they nailed combat pretty well. Even their writing and choices are pretty good. But that cartoon world they created....really kills it for me, after a while. To think, you had all that talent...and you let it be beholden to EA. Why?

Honestly, waiting for Risen 2 now. I liked the first one. But again, the combat was so bad I just could not finish it. Why oh why do developers create games that are 80 - 90% combat, with such shoddy combat systems? You would think that, if you are asking a player to do one thing for the vast majority of your game, you would build around that one key thing.

Network Hub
    Wizardy in 5,4,3,2,

you should give Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga a whirl, (note this is the expansion with the remastered original campaign) it's pretty nifty.
    Why yes, I am one of those quiet psychotic types.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    DSIII was pretty good. Finished during a week long flu. Got it free with a gaming rig I was too lazy (and fat fingered) to build myself. So I thought, why not. Pretty good, if you play as Lucas. And the RPG options shocked me. Your choices really did influence the story.

But I agree...why can we not get action-RPG combat in an Elder Scrolls like title? Amalur tried, and they nailed combat pretty well. Even their writing and choices are pretty good. But that cartoon world they created....really kills it for me, after a while. To think, you had all that talent...and you let it be beholden to EA. Why?

Honestly, waiting for Risen 2 now. I liked the first one. But again, the combat was so bad I just could not finish it. Why oh why do developers create games that are 80 - 90% combat, with such shoddy combat systems? You would think that, if you are asking a player to do one thing for the vast majority of your game, you would build around that one key thing.
    Tried Gothic or Two Worlds 2?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Tried Two Worlds II. Pretty decent game, but could not really get into it. I still have my old Divinity II save game, somewhere, though. Might get that back out. Was a pretty good time, really. Good suggestion.

Network Hub
    Alpha Protocol

If you want good combat in an RPG (Well, sort of) game then look no further than Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
    It's like if Skyrim's combat was actually good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Wizardry is the answer.
    Both the game and forum regular.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I would just hope for that rumored Dark Souls PC port. It has the most enjoyable combat of any RPG I've played. Nothing is done for you. If you don't time your block, parry, or roll perfectly, you will get hit. If you get hit 2 or 3 times, you will die. No pausing the game to chug health potions either.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    What's Risen's comabt like?

I'd like an 'actionRPG' that isn't in the vein of "click on an enemy and press the 1 to 10 keys in order to set of various skills on cooldowns"

Why we can't have a proper combat mechanic like Mount & Blade in a properly fleshed out game world is beyond me...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Where's Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If you want good combat in an RPG (Well, sort of) game then look no further than Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
    It's like if Skyrim's combat was actually good.
    Ah, there it is.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 29-03-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Sacred 2 was pretty interesting. Overcomplicated character development aside, it had an ENORMOUS amount of content and some cool characters to play as.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 is basically a party-based action RPG, and I heartily recommend it (and its expansions).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I actually just remembered that I have Dark Messiah. Tried it once...good lord is it brutal. My only problem with the game is that it seemed combat should always be resolved by kicking your opponent off a cliff/ledge/into a spiked rack. You can't actually fight worth a damn in that game, but the Orcs sure can. And the mages, too. Anyone but you, actually. Granted its hard...but its kind of an annoying hard. Still, after the Cakewalks of Amalur and Skyrim, I may give it another go. Also, there's Witcher 2 enhanced next month, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'm hoping Grimrock will scratch the tactical RPG itch when it's out.
    Have you ever played Dungeon Master? These games aren't tactical at all. You're looking at the wrong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Mass Effect 2 and 3
    Dungeon Siege 3
    Risen
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    DSIII was pretty good.

Amalur tried, and they nailed combat pretty well.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant Consternation View Post
    you should give Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga a whirl, (note this is the expansion with the remastered original campaign) it's pretty nifty.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Tried Gothic or Two Worlds 2?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    Alpha Protocol
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I would just hope for that rumored Dark Souls PC port. It has the most enjoyable combat of any RPG I've played.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Sacred 2 was pretty interesting.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 is basically a party-based action RPG, and I heartily recommend it (and its expansions).
    No.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 29-03-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    What's Risen's comabt like?
    Same as Gothic. For obvious reasons.