Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Network Hub
    Kickstartergate. Where people throw their money at projects that never get made.

as long as it's well-oiled I suppose

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, they made it. This could be fun...
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by OtakuMan View Post
    Well like Keep said, some people might want a reminder so that they know when it ends so that anyone who hasn't pledged and wants to CAN pledge.

I'm just annoyed that when trying to spread the word to people that might be interested, I get someone with a major bug up their keister coming down hard on me. It makes me wonder if he's really been burned by something similar before, or whether it's just unwarranted rage?

I mean, Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo, Christian Allen, Victor Ireland, Dave Marsh, Rusel DeMaria, etc. are all people who have been in the games industry for decades either making games, writing about them, or providing other needs within the game industry. They aren't developer-wannabes who want a KickStarter to fund an indie game (although there have been a number that have succeeded already and done just that), but developers with a track record, some really good games under their belt, and some even have their own companies!

Tim Schafer brought KickStarter into a realm beyond the Indie game scene, and I think that's something to take note and support!
    Have you even bothered to read the thread of Takedown that is already in the forums? Everything that has been said has been said. Why do you need to spam a new thread about it why not bump the existing thread? Anyway enjoy your non existent game im sure it will be fantastic.

Activated Node
    HE MADE IT! He reached $200K!!!

:D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ctical-shooter

Network Hub
    And now what exactly? When do you start to see that your money is being put to good use? Will we get an announcement that these supposed "investors" are going to come out and declare this game officially backed?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Calm down, old chap. Let's wait and see what happens.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Arab Spring
    Another wonderful thing that will leave bad aftertaste.

See also: Spring onions

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Calm down, old chap. Let's wait and see what happens.
    Sorry but this shit pisses me off like no other, not because iv been burnt but because this is just a reincarination of something that's been happening for years on end with mods. People start mod teams with fantastic walls of text and promises and concept art and 9 out of 10 times it amounts to sweet fuck all. How exactly is this any different with a one man team who hasn't given any information about his team or how he intends to make the game. Hell he has no real concept he just made a woeful video and filled a generic FAQ. But people lap it up like OAP's because they'll believe anything now that comes from Kickstarter.

Activated Node
    Well actually, those are good questions. I'm going to be doing a Q&A interview with him to learn more about the ups and downs of his campaign, and what will be happening from there. I'm going to try and cover what I can of the game development, and hopefully be able to get some video game news sites to report it. If not, I'll be posting the news on my own blog that will be dedicated to covering the KickStarter campaigns and adventures beyond.

It should be very interesting.

I also hope to get some more information about whether former devs from Zipper Interactive, the SOCOM people, will be assisting as well.

EDIT: Also to Stevo, keep in mind that this is not some random group of modders or wanna-be modders. These are experienced game-developers; professionals who have been making games since the 90's, 80's, or heck maybe even earlier!

Furthermore, Christian Allen is NOT "One-Guy". He has his own company, Serellan, LLC, complete with website:

http://www.serellan.com/

So these are not random people that we don't know or who don't know what they're doing. If any of them did try and take the money and run, not only would it be a smear on them, but also a smear on their company. And that would cost them a LOT more than anything KickStarter can give them.
    Last edited by OtakuMan; 01-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Activated Node
    Well given the Arab Spring, the bad aftertaste is already being felt with unrest in Egypt, and the current Syria crisis. The KickStarter campaigns and projects might also leave bad after-tastes in a different way, but at the same time, we're seeing name developer after name developer start campaigns to do things they figured they wouldn't be able to do without KickStarter.

But whereas the Arab Spring is already under way and seeing the downs and ups already, the KickStarter Spring is barely two months old, and too early to see where it will go. It may turn out that calling it the KickStarter Spring is the wrong choice of words. Maybe it will be something worse and become a KickStarter-Gate as was suggested. Or maybe it will become something better?

Either way, I'm taking note and looking to see what happens. It's exciting, and could lead to great new things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Few years ago the game appeared with very a similair description to Takedown and there were too "Veteran devs who worked on Gears of War and Star Trek MMO". It was called War.inc and it turned out to be a very mediocre game at best( well, to be fair, it's still in beta, still nothing to write home about).

Network Hub
    Well actually, those are good questions. I'm going to be doing a Q&A interview with him to learn more about the ups and downs of his campaign, and what will be happening from there. I'm going to try and cover what I can of the game development, and hopefully be able to get some video game news sites to report it. If not, I'll be posting the news on my own blog that will be dedicated to covering the KickStarter campaigns and adventures beyond.

It should be very interesting.

I also hope to get some more information about whether former devs from Zipper Interactive, the SOCOM people, will be assisting as well.

Look my problems are quite clear, I don't know Christian Allen in fact the whole board didn't know who the hell he was until some other fan registered up to talk about it. Prior to someone linking you to that campaign did you know who Christian Allen was? No one does. He's just another games developer of which little we know bar a list of games he's worked on (which we don't know the role he played).

What has he bought himself with 200k? Was that money in the pocket or was that money to fund development? He only makes vague references to "investors" in his bid. Then he goes and puts up concept art stolen from a photographer and called the people who alerted him to the fact that it was pirate as trolls. It wasn't until the photographer in question was contacted and came on his board threatening legal work that it finally dawned on him he fucked up. Which begs the question if this developer can't even manage to get concept art that isn't pirated how is he trusted to take 200k and make a alpha game out of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    There's only two ways this can go down. Either the project succeeds and we get a good game out of it, or it fails and we will get immense, entertaining drama (the potential for this has already shown itself several times).

That's a win-win situation in my book.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    What has he bought himself with 200k? Was that money in the pocket or was that money to fund development? He only makes vague references to "investors" in his bid. Then he goes and puts up concept art stolen from a photographer and called the people who alerted him to the fact that it was pirate as trolls. It wasn't until the photographer in question was contacted and came on his board threatening legal work that it finally dawned on him he fucked up. Which begs the question if this developer can't even manage to get concept art that isn't pirated how is he trusted to take 200k and make a alpha game out of it.
    I feel the same way. There's no need to go off the rails about it though. If this Christian whatever posts a regretful cancellation message and is last seen cruising the coast in his new luxury yacht, at least it'll serve as a warning for Kickstarter fans to be a little less reckless with their money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Haha stevo,pirated concept art xD

Activated Node
    War.inc huh?

That's actually very interesting. Got any website links to the people working on it? I might interested in seeing if they'd be willing to chat with me too about what they're doing, where they're at, and what they think about the KickStarter campaign.

I'm assuming War.inc didn't get funding from KickStarter, and may be going the usual Publisher/Developer route. If that's the case, then it may be interesting to see who can put a game out (that's not in an alpha or beta stage) faster.

Network Hub
    War.inc huh?

That's actually very interesting. Got any website links to the people working on it? I might interested in seeing if they'd be willing to chat with me too about what they're doing, where they're at, and what they think about the KickStarter campaign.

I'm assuming War.inc didn't get funding from KickStarter, and may be going the usual Publisher/Developer route. If that's the case, then it may be interesting to see who can put a game out (that's not in an alpha or beta stage) faster.
    It's currently on steam. If this is the same war inc.

Activated Node
    I admit that I did not know who Christian Allen was before I learned about his campaign, and that was when the Wasteland 2 campaign began. At that point, he only had 18 days left on his campaign, and from the sound of it, the whole photographs thing happened before I learned of his project.

Now instead of just assuming and crying "phony", what I'm going to do is take the points you brought up, such as roles on various game titles and the photograph incident, and ask him about that in the Q&A.

It could have been a mistake, it could have been something else, but either way, I'm eager to see what happens next, and will be following up on it to keep tabs on not only him, but other developers and other projects. Time will tell what happens, and I say we hold judgement until after we see what happens next.

And also, I'd like to say "Thank You" for mentioning these to me since I wasn't aware that had happened. It will make for some good questions.