Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    And I think we're all as bad for that as each other.

Funny thing is, the more I play DA2, the more it reminds me of KotOR.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    And I think we're all as bad for that as each other.
    I've stated before that there's a lot of truth to the idea that we get the games we demand. If things seem samey and trite and repetitive to you, that's because that's what you want.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

... and instead turned around into a character piece with a focus on personal relationships, racial tension and a cute-as-fuck Elf with a Welsh accent.

For that aspect alone, DA2 is the single best RPG in recent years.
    You can't be serious? Racial tension a significant factor in making it a good rpg? Cute-as-penis Elf makes a game better now? Or was it all because of the focus on personal relationships? If so, you might want to try Sims 3. I hear it's the best RPG since Baldur's Gate. Just wow, can't take anything you say seriously anymore.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    You can't be serious? Racial tension a significant factor in making it a good rpg? Cute-as-penis Elf makes a game better now? Or was it all because of the focus on personal relationships?
    1. What? The racial tension really added to it, because it did affect characters in different ways, but it was always there and it's something that BioWare have explored. It moves away from DA:O's "oh t3h elvez is so poorz", and shows how - in particular - the humans and Qunari contrast.
    2. Merrill is fucking awesome.
    3. Personal relationships have certainly done a large part to improve DA2, and it feels less like clicking through hours of dialogue and more like actual conversation.

If so, you might want to try Sims 3. I hear it's the best RPG since Baldur's Gate. Just wow, can't take anything you say seriously anymore.
    Oh, right. Just because I like more personal aspects in my stories it means I want to play The Sims.

And few people take my posts seriously as it is, so all I can say is "join the crowd".

You can't be serious? Racial tension a significant factor in making it a good rpg? Cute-as-penis Elf makes a game better now? Or was it all because of the focus on personal relationships? If so, you might want to try Sims 3. I hear it's the best RPG since Baldur's Gate. Just wow, can't take anything you say seriously anymore.
    Jesus fuck, man. She's saying that it was one of the few RPGs out there that wasn't about HOW A NOBODY FROM THE BOONIES SAVES TEH WORLD. Instead, it's a more personable story with a smaller focus. If you're going to start mocking somebody over their opinion, at least try not to misconstrue it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    As I said the characters add nothing to the actual story and your character still ends up as the big world saving hero. If you think this is trying something different then the genre really is in dire straights.
    I still don't see how characters adding nothing to the story negates the fact that they are entertaining and likeable. For some of us, that can be enough.

And how does Hawke save the world? By killing a power-mad woman untrusted by her subordinates? By killing a man who turned into a demon to fight a kingdoms-spanning organization that trains for combat with and exclusively hunts demons and their ilk? By defeating a foreign military leader who basically goes rogue because he can't succeed in his mission? The world is never in peril. In fact, Hawke's actions spill over and actually cause world-wide strife. Contributing to a civil war--or at best failing to avert one--is a far cry from saving the world.

The end of the game I played ended in bleak turmoil, with friends parting in bitterness and anger over deep-seated philosophical divides regarding religion and civil liberties. Despite my efforts, the world spilled over into bloodshed, with a paramilitary organization breaking from its ruling authority to do battle with an oppressed but powerful minority. How did your game end?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    The end of the game I played ended in bleak turmoil, with friends parting in bitterness and anger over deep-seated philosophical divides regarding religion and civil liberties. Despite my efforts, the world spilled over into bloodshed, with a paramilitary organization breaking from its ruling authority to do battle with an oppressed but powerful minority. How did your game end?
    The exact same way, since my actions had no meaning or bearing on Bioware's story.

Bloody hellfire, Nalano defended me.

Is it just me, or does Hell seem a little chilly?

Bloody hellfire, Nalano defended me.

Is it just me, or does Hell seem a little chilly?
    I defend you when I agree with you.

I don't when I don't.

If you want, I can insult you to even things out. Self-involved whinging hussy. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Bit overboard with the last bit of the insult, but I'll agree with the rest of it.

Had to end it somehow. I suppose any one of a manner of farm animals would have sufficed.

Edit: Wait, prude! Prude works!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I still don't see how characters adding nothing to the story negates the fact that they are entertaining and likeable. For some of us, that can be enough.
    A story is focused on characters.
    Characters have next to no effect on story.
    These two statements are mutually exclusive. They can't both be true.

How did your game end?
    It ended with Leilana saying the kingdom depended on finding me. And yes your character plays a big part in starting a civil war including killing major leaders of a large city, so much for a small slice of life story, huh?

DA2 very vaguely tries to do new things. Badly. Finally doing something different after over a decade of stagnation is no reason to applaud Bioware. Not compared to Witcher 2 that came out at the same time and is so much more confident and daring in what it does that it makes DA2 look truly half assed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Not compared to Witcher 2 that came out at the same time and is so much more confident and daring in what it does that it makes DA2 look truly half assed.
    It also released without any particularly well-made introduction, was all flashy instead of functional and completely destroyed the rather clever combat system of The Witcher, instead becoming SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Edit: Wait, prude! Prude works!
    Prude is appropriate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    So there's a better game than DA2...but that alone doesn't make DA2 bad, it either just makes it less good compared to something else or the other title better than DA2.

Besides, the game starts with us knowing that Hawke is going to be the Champion, so it's his life, but it's an interesting one that's clearly got some prominence. At any rate, Hawke's actions was merely the catalyst for something already brewing. As soon as you make a group submit power to another, there's going to be tension. It was released here and Hawke, in a role of authority, had to deal with it in this case. Unless of course you want to play as one of the darkspawn in a thrilling Deep Roads simulator where 35 out of the 36 hours of game time is spent milling around crafting armour, talking to your friends, building bromances and culminating in a nail-biting final hour where you are part of an army, watching in front of you as this group of 4 tears through you and finally gets to you.

It's evidently not the game you wanted or enjoyed, but you cannot out-right say it's bad as if your opinion is de facto.