Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 336
  1. #281
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    What happens when a blood mage cuts himself while shaving?
    Obligatory reply: I'm sure there's some fanfic about that.

  2. #282
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Obligatory reply: I'm sure there's some fanfic about that.
    Frankly I can't imagine what getting a shaving cut would be like for a normal person in Thedas. Every little nick results in 360 degree arcs of blood spewing everywhere.

  3. #283
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,412
    High blood pressure.

    ​Zing!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  4. #284
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Am I the only one who plays with the gore turned down/off?


  5. #285
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Am I the only one who plays with the gore turned down/off?
    I like DA2's gore. DAO's was worth it for the awkward conversations after fights. Also the dog could lick it off you IIRC.


  6. #286
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    DAO's was worth it for the awkward conversations after fights. Also the dog could lick it off you IIRC.
    URC. It was kinda sick, too. DAO was just weird. "Give us all your money and belongings or we kill you." "Yeah, see this blood I'm absolutely covered in? That was the last group of guys who asked me that."
    Last edited by Nalano; 12-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  7. #287
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,303
    If I have to deal with thugs who warp in at random around me, I at least want the satisfaction of exploding them with a crossbow bolt. If I must suffer inanity, I may as well embrace it.

    I turned the persistent bloodbaths off in DA:O because it was just silly.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  8. #288
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The point is that while we're constrained by the medium and as such have to develop a system in the absence of a DM, the specifics of the rules don't matter. An RPG is not defined by how closely it hews to D&D. If a real-time TPS makes the most sense to depict something, then there's no reason an RPG can't have real-time TPS mechanics.
    Except pen and paper RPGs don't even remotely resemble third person cover shooters.

  9. #289
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Except pen and paper RPGs don't even remotely resemble third person cover shooters.
    No but third person cover shooters are closer to the historical role-playing than PnP RPGs. It's almost like the term is so wide it could refer to more than one thing.

  10. #290
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    The bit of the ending that was rubbish was that it did itself a disservice by doing the whole boss bad guy thing and by having Orsino (or whatever the name of the top mage was) do an about face character turn completely uneccesarilly.
    His turn made perfect sense. What didn't make sense is why the muppet opted to do it while surrounded by his friends, rather than waiting until he was surrounded by Templars.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    No but third person cover shooters are closer to the historical role-playing than PnP RPGs.
    Well now I've heard everything.

  12. #292
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The COD crowd generally don't like RPGs. How do I know? I play with the COD crowd. They're just as insular and regressive as any other subgroup. No, the modern AAA RPGs are built the way they are because they sell. Publishers don't work in a vacuum.
    http://www.nowgamer.com/news/919569/..._audience.html

    Really, Shane? The ME3 ending deserved protests and calls to the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau? No, Shane. No.
    Of course, I was referring to the legitimate criticism not the nerdrage-fueled shitstorm that followed.

    In fact, I'm worried that the rants and raves of a few diehard nerds will destroy the gaming industry as the rants and raves of a few diehard nerds completely marginalized the comics industry.
    You mean that publishers and developers actually care about their rants and raves?
    Seeking a larger audience isn't "dumbing down the game," nor should it be dismissed as "courting the COD crowd" or whomever else you want to paint as stupid and wrong.
    That isn't what happens, look at any American AAA, multiplatform game franchise and tell me they haven't been dumbed down with each subsequent iteration.

    Some things are legitimately popular, and the more you stick your fingers in your ears and drown out that truth, the more you marginalize yourself.
    Why make unpopular changes to them if they are popular, as is?

  13. #293
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    You know a post's probably gonna be some miserable hunk of shit when the guy goes line by line. But it's even sillier when he doesn't actually contradict my statements.

    The lead designer? He said COD players don't play RPGs (which is what I said) and he'd like to introduce RPGs to people who don't consciously play RPGs (which is what I said). Why? Because it's a larger market (wiwis). The COD crowd just happens to be a larger market than your average RPG crowd, but what's really being said here is "I want to break out of the niche that RPGs get pigeon-holed into."

    And they haven't dumbed down the games. The games are just as interesting as ever, and they're as complex as they ever were. To say otherwise is either to subscribe to a false nostalgia of the olden days, or to misconstrue difficult interfaces as difficult games. Go back and play the old-school shit. You'll beat the shit out of it, because hard it ain't. What they've done is make the games more accessible, because the market of people who would self-identify as "gamers" isn't nearly as large as the people who own computers capable of gaming.

    "Why make unpopular changes to them?" Unpopular to who? To you? You're not the primary market any more. There's not enough of you, no matter how shrill you become. Welcome to the new age, and it sounds like this: "How do I tell my son that he shouldn't enjoy the new Star Wars?"
    Last edited by Nalano; 13-04-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  14. #294
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You know a post's probably gonna be some miserable hunk of shit when the guy goes line by line.
    I can even do it word by word if you want me to.

    The lead designer? He said COD players don't play RPGs (which is what I said) and he'd like to introduce RPGs to people who don't consciously play RPGs (which is what I said). Why? Because it's a larger market (wiwis). The COD crowd just happens to be a larger market than your average RPG crowd, but what's really being said here is "I want to break out of the niche that RPGs get pigeon-holed into."
    ...
    "Why make unpopular changes to them?" Unpopular to who? To you? You're not the primary market any more. There's not enough of you, no matter how shrill you become. Welcome to the new age, and it sounds like this: "How do I tell my son that he shouldn't enjoy the new Star Wars?"
    Which is my point. They have gone for a different demographic than the one that bought their earlier games. I don't grudge them that, the video game business is all about profit after all. And I don't call their work shit because it isn't what I wanted, but because it is shit. Look at movies and the music industry where some of the worst enjoy the most success, why would it be any different in video games?

    And they haven't dumbed down the games. The games are just as interesting as ever, and they're as complex as they ever were. To say otherwise is either to subscribe to a false nostalgia of the olden days, or to misconstrue difficult interfaces as difficult games.
    No.
    Go back and play the old-school shit. You'll beat the shit out of it, because hard it ain't.
    A lack of difficulty isn't the only thing afflicting modern rpgs.

  15. #295
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    And I don't call their work shit because it isn't what I wanted, but because it is shit. Look at movies and the music industry where some of the worst enjoy the most success, why would it be any different in video games?
    Again, this is being said as if it's gospel truth that if one lone person doesn't like something for whatever reason it must therefore be bad. You say 'some of the worst', but surely you are just talking about what you want. The Transformers films made a silly amount of money; I thought they were bad, but for many others they were not. In fact, some people went in with the explicit intention of watching giant robots fighting it out. Personally, if I want my share of violence and carnage, I'll watch Die Hard, but for what Transformers wants to do, it succeeds pretty damn well. You say that some of the worst enjoy the most success, but what scale are you basing this on? What possible, objective meter could hope to actually measure this stuff out fairly? It's simply not possible.

    On the top of my head, right now in my state of trying to procrastinate an essay due in a few hours, I cannot think of a single film or piece of music that was critically poor and received by the public equally so, yet managed to be successful. There's a real truth behind So Bad It's Good. Even if the parts may be a little shoddy, which in DA2's case was quite true for numerous things, it doesn't mean that the sum doesn't rise above this.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

  16. #296
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    And I don't call their work shit because it isn't what I wanted, but because it is shit.
    Opinions Vs Facts, learn the difference. Also whilst you're at it maybe eat a thesaurus and undertake a course in critical thinking, because right now you're embarrassing yourself.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  17. #297
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Which is my point. They have gone for a different demographic than the one that bought their earlier games.
    About the only change between what they're doing now and what they were doing back when they started is that they've dropped the D&D license.

  18. #298
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    About the only change between what they're doing now and what they were doing back when they started is that they've dropped the D&D license.
    The D&D games came a few years after BioWare formed.


  19. #299
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Opinions Vs Facts, learn the difference. Also whilst you're at it maybe eat a thesaurus and undertake a course in critical thinking, because right now you're embarrassing yourself.
    okayandthe10chars

  20. #300
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    If I have to deal with thugs who warp in at random around me, I at least want the satisfaction of exploding them with a crossbow bolt. If I must suffer inanity, I may as well embrace it.

    I turned the persistent bloodbaths off in DA:O because it was just silly.
    Varric's quest near the end of Act II (confronting Bartrand) did a really great job of playing up the violence as well as cleverly using the framing-device. I was thrown for a loop almost right up to the reveal.

    A fantastic moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •