Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by iwem.xo View Post
    Also, will this be any part of the tourney?
    Cards on the table, with my scooter problems last month I'm still behind in the cash department so I won't be buying Red just yet. Also, I hate it that 6 can go from being an impulse purchase amount to an expense that needs to be considered.

Network Hub
    Xune - if you want to check out the new riot shield guy and new mode (I haven't tried it yet), let me know and I'll challenge you. I REALLY like that they made it so anyone without the new stuff can play if someone with it initiates the game.
    Find me on Steam
    By day I work making the world's best budgeting software. Check it out!

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    That sounds like loads of fun. I really loved the idea of FS, but sadly, I haven't played much of it (~ 7 hours). Couldn't get any of my friends to play more than 1 or 2 matches before they lost interest.

So ... Count me in, I guess!

I'm probably gonna get my ass handed back to me in every single match, though ...

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Well ... I have put my name down now, so I guess I'm committed! Or need to be committed, one of the two.

Network Hub
    TechnoJellyfish, welcome! Keep your shotgunners moving, get the machine guns into overwatch, be aware of potential explosions and maintain a helthy sense of paranoia at all times and you'll do fine. :)

rodeoclown, yeah that'd be good, set us up a game and I'll try to get a few turns in. I agree, that's a smart move on mode7's part. I seem to remember Introversion doing something similar with Defcon, allowing demo players join 3-5 player matches but not create them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Welcome, new guys! I'll be your co-ordinator of pew-pew for this season. I was beginning to worry there would only be four of us so it's nice to see some fresh faces amongst the usual suspects.

Sign-ups are open for another 30 hours (more or less), so if you know of anyone else who would be interested by all means point them towards the list.

I'm really pretty shit at FS but I like it all the same :( signed up!

Decided to pony up the cash for the DLC - looking forward to getting some games in - it's been a long, long time since I played FS

Network Hub
    Col, are we going to allow the riot shield units in this season?
    They will only be in if the challenger creates the game, and I have a feeling we probably shouldn't allow them for now.

Maybe for season 10 :)
    Find me on Steam

No, for this round I'm going to enforce a vanilla-only rule. Sorry to anyone else who has shelled out on the DLC. My reasoning for this is purely selfish: I haven't played any matches yet with the riot shield so I haven't developed any tactics for it. So no riot shield, no mutators. After this round is over we can have a free and frank discussion about what to use in season 10. That said, if you want to use a red map that's probably okay.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 01-06-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Network Hub
    As far as I can tell, the red option is local only, so I could be playing red and you'll never know!
    (It's purely a colour-change option :D)
    Find me on Steam

I didn't know that.

Quick update and a question: we only have 11 signees so far this time around. Does anyone have an opinion either way on whether I should have on big group or two smaller ones? The Ginormoleague had 15 entrants and there seemed to be some fatigue towards the end, but we're all pretty well rested at this point. What say you, bearing in mind I'll be putting up the tables in about 24 hours?

I'm easy either way to be honest - we could have two leagues and then a champion of champion heads up series, or just one big league.

Network Hub
    I think it's probably better to split in two.
    It's pretty unfair to have guys like iwem.xo and you Col vs guys who have only played a handful of games.
    Find me on Steam

two groups sounds fine

Season 9 has now begun! This time we have 11 players split into two divisions: players who took part in the Ginormoleague in Division 1, and the others in Division 2. You can now start issuing challenges and playing your matches - click here to see the league tables.

Important: each player has the responsibility of challenging every player above him/her in the appropriate division. That means that, for instance, I have to issue two challenges: to Xune and iwem.xo.

If you are unsure who you should be challenging, look at the second tab on the spreadsheet. You need to issue a challenge for each game in which you are Player 1. If you're still unsure, post in this thread or send me a PM.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Dark Elimination
    Map type: symmetrical
    Turn limit:
    eight turns
    Turn duration
    : five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
    Visibility: vis at time zero
    Team strength: four men per player, including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier
    Vanilla only: no riot shields, no mutators
    Server: UK1

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each challenge. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must state the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in game [game ID]".

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged Xune in game 123456".

3) After each game has been completed, the player accepting the challenge must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] by [number of men killed by victorious player] men killed to [number of men killed by defeated player]".

Example: "Xune has defeated ColOfNature in game 123456 by 4 men killed to 0".

In the event of a draw, the format is "[Challenging player] and [challenged player] have drawn in game [game ID], killing [number of men killed per player] men each."

Example: "ColOfNature and Xune have drawn in game 123456, killing 3 men each".

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Saturday 02 June). All games must be completed by the end(GMT) of Sunday 17 June.

5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or traveling to distant worlds, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will use my finger-of-random-choosing and award points to one, both or neither player, depending on my whim.

7) At the end of the season the final results will be used to determine the divisions for season 10, according to a fiendishly cunning set of rules which I will suck directly from the brain of WombatDeath at a later date.

8) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, whimsy and iron-fisted authoritarianism.

Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.

Good luck!

How to create a game with the correct settings

This may be useful to those newer to Frozen Synapse:

1) Log in to server UK1.
    2) Click the 'Multiplayer' button at the top of the screen
    3) Click 'Create a game'
    4) Set the game mode to Dark Extermination
    5) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
    6) Ignore the scary warning and click 'OK'
    7) Click the 'Generate symmetrical' button
    8) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have four men per side (including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier), go back to (7) and repeat until you're happy.
    9) Click the 'Submit' button
    10) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
    11) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
    12) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 (and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which is the default)
    13) Enter your opponent's username
    14) Enter 'RPS Dark Extermination League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
    15) Click the 'Submit' button
    16) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in point 2 of the post directly above this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Good luck to those playing, I'll catch you on the flip side.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    RodeoClown has challenged Xune in game 527858
    RodeoClown has challenged iwem.xo in game 527868
    RodeoClown has challenged ColOfNature in game 527867
    RodeoClown has challenged DeVadder in game 527865
    RodeoClown has challenged Gotem in game 527863

Just a note - some of these have big, wide open spaces in them. I just use whichever symmetrical map first matches the requirements, so they should be interesting :)
    Find me on Steam

Network Hub
    Thanks for the taster game rodeoclown, I can see the shield units really opening up a number of tactical options. If you fancy it, feel free to setup another.

I'm really tempted to pick the expansion up now but I owe my brother close to a grand and any expense needs to be justified till I pay him back. I don't like owing people money.