Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Is all I can hear...
    Remember, they're not richer than you, they're better than you.

    (gag)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  2. #22
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,271
    I paid 9 euros on it, the starter kit when it was on sale. That gave me a bunch of weapons and VIP status. I have everything unlocked that I want and XP to buy 2 major weapons. I don't know why I stopped playing it, it was good fun.

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I paid 9 euros on it, the starter kit when it was on sale. That gave me a bunch of weapons and VIP status. I have everything unlocked that I want and XP to buy 2 major weapons. I don't know why I stopped playing it, it was good fun.
    Because once you unlocked what you needed, the game lost its hook. Given that you're no pro, gaming just for the sake of it lasts less. But the devs doesn't care because you already ka-chinged 9€. That's the core of the business model.

    Now, Counter Strike for example is an even field and you will get your ass handed unless you improve by experience, fun comes from skill growth and personal superation. On the other side of the spectrum, Call of Duty map/weapon design makes so that even a non-seasoned player can score a good game against a seasoned one, and the hook is just fun for participating in the firework show.
    Last edited by pakoito; 26-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Remember, they're not richer than you, they're better than you.

    (gag)
    Remember, it's not pay to win, it's pay to get a slight advantage only paying customers get. You know, like in chess where the paying customer gets better pieces? What, I don't care if you don't think it's fun to play ChessFree, I find it fun. It's not hard either, my 7 queens find no trouble beating most players, and it only takes like 300 hours for F2P players, and they can stump up the 10 per queen extra if they wish. Those chess board makers need funding for their innovative chess piece designs some how!...

    /sarcasm over dose.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Remember, it's not pay to win, it's pay to get a slight advantage only paying customers get. You know, like in chess where the paying customer gets better pieces? What, I don't care if you don't think it's fun to play ChessFree, I find it fun. It's not hard either, my 7 queens find no trouble beating most players, and it only takes like 300 hours for F2P players, and they can stump up the 10 per queen extra if they wish. Those chess board makers need funding for their innovative chess piece designs some how!...

    /sarcasm over dose.
    Despite not approving his view that was not his point. His point was "it's a game, so what if they have better weapons and beats you". Maybe Nalano doesn't value his gaming hours as much as the rest of us do.

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,788

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Despite not approving his view that was not his point. His point was "it's a game, so what if they have better weapons and beats you". Maybe Nalano doesn't value his gaming hours as much as the rest of us do.
    I'm thinking we just piled on so much sarcasm there's a black hole sucking up all the sincerity on this thread.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm thinking we just piled on so much sarcasm there's a black hole sucking up all the sincerity on this thread.
    I think you're a top fellow and would make a fine role model for Dead Herald.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    I played in Beta and I tried it after it went live. TBQH, I don't think it's that good a game. I haven't played Tribes 2 and everyone tells me that's much better, but it seems like Tribes: Ascend suffers from terrible class imbalance, coupled with a terribly schizophrenic game structure mechanic.

    It seems that skiing is the marquee mechanic in the game, aside from Spinlosers who somehow can hit a Pathfinder in midair going 250/km with a slow moving dumbfire explosive, (That sounds you just heard was my brain leaking petrol.) It seems that if you're not playing a pathfinder, skiing is terribly ineffective, difficult to learn, and seems to lose it's zip on a map filled with badly placed peaks and valleys. Actually even if you are a pathfinder, skiing is still a pain to learn.

    The notion of having the flag sit in wide open space also makes no sense. Oh, yeah it's guarded by autoturrets, which aside from being piss stinkingly inaccurate are easily disabled by having half of an armory pour into the generator and take it off line, which is piss easy because no one ever defends the damn thing. If you pick technician and try to defend the generator? Gonna have a bad time... So essentially, there is no defense for the flag which is easily gangbanged by 5 or 6 pathfinders.

    Where is my team when all this is going on? FUCK IF I KNOW!?

    Obviously they're doing the same thing, but doing a bad job of it because for all the emphasis on throwing offense, no one ever seems to cap a flag. Meanwhile I have an army of juggernauts, raiders, infiltrators and magic laser shooting grenades teabagging my corpse.

    Ok, admittedly I'm so terribad at Pathfinder, it made sense for me to take Juggernaut, Technician or Doombringer and just hold for "D". Apparently "D" is an afterthought in the very game design, which makes me wonder why even have a CTF mode to begin with? Not that any of the other modes make a damn bit of sense. They're either 5-Man KotH which is technically the same, Rabbit, which is mobile CTF which is the same, or Deathmatch, which somehow Pathfinders still dominate because they all mastered the Spinloser.

    I really hate Pathfinders. No, I'm not gonna give this game a second chance like I did SCII. SCII is a game with a rich mythos and an elegant strategy that I just have trouble picking up. Tribes Ascend is just a douchey attempt to knock off TF2 with a plate of bullshit and microtransactions.
    That is the most words I've seen used to say 'everyone who beats me in a videogame is a no life loser' in quite a while.

  10. #30
    Network Hub Dead Herald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBenedict View Post
    That is the most words I've seen used to say 'everyone who beats me in a videogame is a no life loser' in quite a while.
    It would be terribly hypocritical of me to suggest that I have a life worth aspiring to. I simply prefer to spread my playing time out over many games, rather than a single one.

    It's not gonna stop me from hating on Pathfinder though. Bitch at me all you like, but I'm not blaming the players for the clear-cut case of class imbalance.

  11. #31
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I think you're a top fellow and would make a fine role model for Dead Herald.
    I think we should go out and have dinner sometime.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  12. #32
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    It would be terribly hypocritical of me to suggest that I have a life worth aspiring to.
    Still so confident and full of self-efficacy. Dead Herald, do you ever cease with your positive energy and bright insight?

  13. #33
    Network Hub Dead Herald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Still so confident and full of self-efficacy. Dead Herald, do you ever cease with your positive energy and bright insight?
    Not so long as people insist on chucking fuel on the fire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •