Today's Quake 1 Singleplayer releases are amazing fun

Hi there,

I am running a Quake 1 Singleplayer map archive website called http://www.quaddicted.com and recently started posting updates about new releases in some forums I've been attending for years. The reception has been positive so I thought I'd do the same here since RPS is my favourite news site and I think there might some likewise minds here. If you don't like this, just slap me with a walrus or something and I will stop.

We'll be starting with some recommendations of existing maps. Later I will keep posting updates of any new maps (unless I get murdered for spamming).

These are modern custom maps and mappacks for Quake 1. Some might be just like the original maps, some might have some new monsters or features. The focus of Quaddicted.com is on content that is faithful to the original Quake so unpleasant surprises should be rare.

The .zip-links are direct links. No need to give any pageviews to inflate my ego. But always remember to read the included text files for installation and launching instructions. If you cannot be arsed to do so, check out our Quake Injector tool, it allows you to click to install and launch easily.

You will not be happy with the original glquake.exe or winquake.exe and neither with Darkplaces for quite some of these releases. The engines Quakespasm or DirectQ are highly recommended. The Quake Injector will not hold your hand when it comes to engine choice but will try to set some release specific configuration parameters if needed.

So, enjoy this list of recent recommendations.

honey.zip - honey by czg (.zip)

dm456sp.zip - Bad Dark Cistern by negke (.zip)

rubicon2.zip - Rubicon 2 by metlslime & czg (.zip)

ne_ruins.zip - The Altar of Storms by necros (.zip)

Unfortunately I could only post 4 images, so I had to select 4 and only post text links for the others:
    arwop.zip - A Roman Wilderness Of Pain by PM & Tronyn (.zip)

dmc3.zip - Deathmatch Classics Vol. 3 by negke (various) (.zip)

mappi.zip - Red Slammer by negke (.zip)

digs06.zip - The Anomaly 2: Water by Digs (.zip)

arcanum.zip - Arcanum by Tronyn (.zip)

scampsp1.zip - Dead memories by Scampie (.zip)

coagula3_pack.zip - Coagula Mappack #3 by Various (.zip)

ne_tower.zip - Moldy Tower by necros (.zip)

digs05.zip - The Anomaly by Digs (.zip)

Don't hesitate asking questions. And have fun! Modern Quake 1 SP maps might be the saviour of proper FPS gaming you ranted about on Reddit the other day. ;)
    Last edited by SpiritQuaddicted; 03-04-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: stripped some, the list was just too scary

I snagged honey the other day when I saw it on func_msgboard but I kept on getting killed because I was too busy scoping out the level to avoid the Ogres and it doesn't play nicely with Darkplaces and saving and loading. So I'll have to go back to it later on with a different engine. A similar thing happened in Altar Of Storms and that's not the kind of map that you want to get distracted in, with the zombies.

Oh yes, I highly recommend not using Darkplaces. It is a fantastic game engine but has gone quite far away from Quake. By default it has some "bugfixes" enabled that break some maps/mods. Also people tend to use questionable fan created "modern high-res" content with it that to me ruins a lot of Quake's atmosphere, so I am biased.

For maps most mappers test in Fitzquake. Quakespasm is a Fitzquake fork with good new features (Ogg Vorbis support for the soundtrack!) and fixes. So I highly recommend using that. Runs on Mac and Linux too.

I'm not a fan of hi-res textures either, because they look too flat. The maps would have to be re-detailed to match the extra detail in the textures. Saying that, I did find a pack of base textures last year which I'm pretty keen on and some weapon skins by a bloke named Primevil which look pretty good so I guess I'm not opposed to all re-texturing projects.

But all you really need are some appropriately done lits and an engine that does coloured lighting or at least an engine that doesn't murder overbrights.

Network Hub
    Love Quake! I'll definitely check out some of those maps op.

I'm hoping that someone out there is mental enough to attempt a Quake remake in WrackEd when Wrack and it's level editor get released. Cel-shaded Quake! And Doom! :D

Finally a new release, this time another deathmatch map remix. than took the sources for id's dm7 and made it a singleplayer map:

http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/dm7rmx.html
    http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/dm7rmx.zip