Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Do you like raiding tombs? Too bad.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94...-raider-update

Way to screw up fans that are following TR on PC or Sony consoles since the very first title..
    Well, I hope they will eventually release it on PC and PS4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I can't say I ever cared for Tomb Raider (although I know many people do), but didn't Microsoft say just the other day how committed they were to the PC and yaddayadda?

It's also cringeworthy to see how the marketing guy is trying really hard to spin something that's different from "Microsoft gave us a lot of money, but really, this is a good thing for consumers!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It's such a strange one. They're being adamant as well that this is 100% an exclusive to the console on twitter and their blog. Time will tell. But for a company who complained about poor sales of the original game, I can't fathom what they're doing making it an exclusive to a single console, unless MS put up enough cash to make up the millions of sales they'll lose from PC and PS4.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Well, Temple of Osiris is still bound to pc so that's good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hated the nuTomb Raider for the most part (boring, terrible story, forgettable level design), but... this still strikes me as bizarre. It's a slap in the face for people who did like the first game - stuff so rarely goes full exclusive these days - and is it really going to be that much of a system seller?

Plus yes, that PR spiel is indeed almost physically painful.

Activated Node
    Microsoft is super serious about supporting PC gaming this time, you guise.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What.ever. A game being a console exclusive is the best way for me to forget about it.

Also, it will be timed exclusive anyway, unless the developer seriously messes it up like Rockstar did with RDR.

Activated Node
    Very strange given how Squeenix famously claimed the original had underperformed. Shame, I really enjoyed the original. Oh well, I'll probably have a PS4 by then anyway and can see what all the fuss about Uncharted is about.

Tomb Raider is simply not a system-seller. It's a prime example of a game that will do well as a multi-platform release, but won't persuade anyone to buy a new console.
    Last edited by Junkenstein; 12-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm a bit grumpy about this at the moment, I've really liked all of the last few Tomb Raiders since Legend including the latest 2013 one (we've all got weird quirks, this happens to be mine). It's really strange for a multi-platform game series to suddenly go to being completely exclusive to one console, with no PC version either. Console exclusivity is pretty common, but edging out the PC as well is rare and particularly annoys me in this case.

Square did say the previous one under performed, but this was in part due to them expecting Tomb Raider to help recoup some of the losses from Hitman and Sleeping Dogs as well. It still is maddening to think this is a good idea, with the Xbox One performing worse than the PS4 and losing PC support and those glorious Steam sales to boost units sold, Tomb Raider is not going to shift Xbox Ones on its own. I've been grappling with the idea of getting one for Halo and Quantum Break/Sunset Overdrive if they turn out to be any good, but so far there still isn't a reason to get one despite the fact that the console has been out for 10 months now.

Hopefully it's a short timed exclusive or it soon goes the way of Ryse and Dead Rising 3 and appears on the PC soon after release. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll release a 'definitive' edition later that will be multi platform, and we can just buy the one edition with all content included. On the bright side, we're still getting the new Lara Croft game, that is probably going to be better anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So there won't be sequel for Uncharted clone game with female protagonist buhuhu.

No matter. The first was shit anyway.

Maybe some day it will be released for Windows, but not until it has helped sell a few Xbones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You’ve got to be shitting me. All that whining about how Tomb Raider’s sales don’t meet the ridiculous costs to create Lara’s hair, and they’re going to segregate their audience? Hundreds of thousands of PC sales, gone. Why are they suddenly acting like Tomb Raider is the next Halo?

As for Microsoft, they say that every other week.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 12-08-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Yeah, it does kinda go against what Squeenix and MS have been saying, but my only reaction to that is a cynical chuckle. I did like the reboot, but I think I'll survive. I have hundreds of other games I haven't gotten around to playing yet, until the inevitable "Did we say exclusive? Oopsie, we meant timed exclusive!".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Exclusivity at no point suggests permanence.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Well, Temple of Osiris is still bound to pc so that's good.
    This is, in fact, all that matters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Exclusivity at no point suggests permanence.
    No matter how cynical you want to be, though, it's still weird they're explicitly claiming it does. For this particular game, of all things.

I wonder who is more desperate here, Xbox or Squenix? They don't seem to be doing too well in the last time. In any case, I imagine they try to sell this as the Xbox alternative to Uncharted 3 but I doubt Squenix can afford to keep it an exclusive title.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You’ve got to be shitting me. All that whining about how Tomb Raider’s sales don’t meet the ridiculous costs to create Lara’s hair, and they’re going to segregate their audience? Hundreds of thousands of PC sales, gone. Why are they suddenly acting like Tomb Raider is the next Halo?

As for Microsoft, they say that every other week.
    That's what I thought as well. How can they possibly be making as much money on a single console that's not even the best selling of this gen? Especially after all the economical complaints about the 1st one. Either MS paid a whole lot or it'll end up being a timed console exclusive. Either way, I'm not buying an Xbone for this.

It's also marvelous how the PR scumbag tells you how the next TR will be the best thing ever, yet they're not giving it to us, nana nana na na...etc..
    Last edited by DanMan; 12-08-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Squenix: "Well, the TR remake/reboot underperformed and sold nowhere near as many copies as we had hoped." "Let's make a new one and sell it to even FEWER people!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Don't even care about the new TR series. It's just Uncharted-lite and instead of fun characters you get an always-screaming-and-grunting version of Lara and a completely forgettable character lineup IMO.

Series died as soon as nu-TR started IMO. Underworld and Anniversary are the pinnacles in the OG series I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BadManiac View Post
    Squenix: "Well, the TR remake/reboot underperformed and sold nowhere near as many copies as we had hoped." "Let's make a new one and sell it to even FEWER people!"
    The funny thing is, with nu-TR sales which totaled 4 million about... SE was "disappointed" with the volume lol.

But Microsoft probably paid for the privilege.

RE: paid for the "expected sales" on other platforms to SquareEnix directly. "Expected sales" that SE cooked up is probably more than what it would have sold possibly lol, so maybe they got more cash anyway.
    Last edited by rockman29; 12-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.