Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar

Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters

So the second big, free expansion to PoE has just been revealed.

I confess I haven't played PoE in months, being distracted by other things, but this just looks like a huge amount of new, exciting content. Especially if it makes the crafting system less random and offers more variety with end-game stuff, which seems to be the case. Really looking forward to it!

Obscure Node
    I'm really interested to see what the "Beyond" challenge league entails. Sounds... ominous. The symbol looks like some otherworldly-maw. Can't go wrong with that.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I was a big fan of PoE pre-ROS. Now... can't imagine going back any time soon, but I've invested nearly a ton in D3 by this point. For free, you can't knock it.

I got bored with RoS as well, and while I'm waiting for the new patch for that, it sounds much less exciting than PoE's one. I think there's room for both games, really. They offer different experienced.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    What's the deal with ROS?

Also when is this coming? I might jump in, I hope I'm still in the guild :P

I think I played a couple weeks ago, had to re-spec the ability grid for my character... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    What's the deal with ROS?

Also when is this coming? I might jump in, I hope I'm still in the guild :P

I think I played a couple weeks ago, had to re-spec the ability grid for my character... lol.
    If you'd clicked on the link you'd see it's August 20th :) But yeah, everyone should still be in the guild, if only because I haven't really logged on in months!

Not sure what you're asking about RoS... it's still a very good game, but there's a new patch coming out in a month or two (there's a PTR for 2.1) which will add seasons, legendary gems, "greater rifts", etc. Some nice changes, but, again, they don't sound as exciting as PoE's in my opinion.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I've been playing ROS, but I'm very excited about this patch for PoE. I'll be going back to PoE when it drops to see how it goes. At least until the new ROS patch comes out.

I just have more friends that are playing ROS versus PoE, honestly. Otherwise, I'd probably be all about the PoE.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am in the odd position of having D3 but no ROS, as I picked up a boxed copy of the base game on clearance and I can't afford ROS at full whack. D3 on regular difficulty is certainly boring the crap out of me: its world is painfully dull (technically/aesthetically astonishing, at least in places, but awful map layouts and profoundly tedious atmospherics/storytelling), and its skilltree isn't really grabbing me. Other than general multi-million dollar polish PoE beats it hollow. ROS might well be a game-changer, but I'm not feeling very convinced of that, and when Grinding Gear keep throwing this stuff at me for nothing... I stick with PoE I get adventure mode and storytelling worked around it, essentially, and I don't have to pay $40 for the privilege.

In theory I'd love some competition; in practice PoE is still the only game in years to make me think maybe the genre isn't fundamentally broken.

Obscure Node
    Have there been any improvements to desyncs in PoE? I'd love to get back into it but I'll just end up quitting again in frustration if those haven't got any better.

When was the last time you played it? Desync got better with Sacrifice of the Vaal - not perfect, but better. I hope they'll announce further improvements with FM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Define desync? If you mean lag/crashes, they're still there, but I don't know what you or other people consider to be unbearably frustrating. I don't love the always online requirement but it doesn't really bother me when I crash to the main menu maybe once a week, if that. (This was when I was playing it for several hours a day or so in the middle of the first expansion.)

Of course I wouldn't have a prayer of beating hardcore, ever (at the very least I'd die to Piety/Dominus a billion times over), so I'm less likely to look at glitches or monsters warping around etc. and think "Jesus Christ, that almost killed me!" So my opinion might not be worth so much to you.

Obscure Node
    I might give it another go if there have been improvements. By desync I mean when the game and my computer disagree with where my character is, particularly noticeable when moving around rapidly. I could deal with it if it wasn't for death penalties. Most of my deaths are due to my character just not being where I think it is, and so I die to enemies that are on the other side of a wall as far as I'm concerned, and the xp loss in higher difficulty levels makes it really annoying to die when it's not your fault. That's what frustrating, dieing and losing progress due to a design flaw that I can't predict, rather than my own mistakes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonisme84 View Post
    I might give it another go if there have been improvements. By desync I mean when the game and my computer disagree with where my character is, particularly noticeable when moving around rapidly. I could deal with it if it wasn't for death penalties. Most of my deaths are due to my character just not being where I think it is, and so I die to enemies that are on the other side of a wall as far as I'm concerned, and the xp loss in higher difficulty levels makes it really annoying to die when it's not your fault. That's what frustrating, dieing and losing progress due to a design flaw that I can't predict, rather than my own mistakes.
    Desync is not a problem that's unique to path of exile (i'd argue it's actually worse in D3 - they just hide it a lot better) and i do agree that it's a bit annoying in any game... But (!) it is most definitely not "a design flaw that you can't predict" since desync is pretty much avoidable 99% of the time if you know how desync happens, especially in this particular game - Bold claim: If someone dies to desync it's usually their own fault.

Disclaimer: I've been playing PoE on and off since closed beta, spent most of that time in the various iterations of the hardcore league or the various races (which are hardcore by default) and only ever died to desync once - in a 12 minute turbo race where i was "a bit" reckless. I don't have any characters in the 90s, since i tend to get bored by characters after a while and roll a new one, but i do have a couple of hardcore characters in the 80-85 range, so i'd say that a: i don't randomly die and b: i'm the kind of player who'd have a bit of a problem if desync really was unavoidable or unpredictable.

So... some simple steps to avoid heavy desync:
    1. Never run through dense packs of monsters - run around them if you have to.
    2. Never run past dense packs of monsters in tight corridors or close to tight corners.
    3. If you attack an enemy that has the habit of moving around - Hold shift while you attack.
    3b. scratch that - always hold shift while you attack, especially if you're either melee or if you're ranged and risk losing line of sight.
    4. If you use movement skills or quicksilver flasks you should occasionally give the server a chance to "catch up" - Usually happens on its own when you open a door or chest or pick up some loot.

To reiterate: don't create any situations where your client and the servers might disagree on pathing. (That leads to you suddenly resyncing into a huge pack of monsters.) Don't create situations where your character loses line of sight and tries to reposition itself or catch up to a monster that moved without your client noticing. (that leads to you suddenly resyncing into the next room - surrounded by monsters) Ah well, and if you ever feel like something is slightly off, either wait a moment or just use the /oos command to force a sync.

It's obviously not perfect that players have to basically play around desync, but i prefer this to having a game that actively tries to hide it by limiting your speed, mobility or the speed of your input - Ever noticed just how much input lag D3 has for example? Or how bloody slow the characters are?

And on topic: Yeah, that expansion looks quite amazing, especially in comparison to the last one - I will most definitely pop back into the game to check things out once the new leagues roll out.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    1. Never run through dense packs of monsters - run around them if you have to.
    2. Never run past dense packs of monsters in tight corridors or close to tight corners.
    3. If you attack an enemy that has the habit of moving around - Hold shift while you attack.
    3b. scratch that - always hold shift while you attack, especially if you're either melee or if you're ranged and risk losing line of sight.
    4. If you use movement skills or quicksilver flasks you should occasionally give the server a chance to "catch up" - Usually happens on its own when you open a door or chest or pick up some loot.
    Yeah, I admit that some of my problems with desync may well be due to an unnecessary stubborn refusal to adapt to it. I guess Diablo 3 and PoE have dealt with desync differently, in that D3 has made more compromises in game design to minimise it. As a less hardcore player, I'm perfectly happy with compromise to lower frustration, and that probably puts me more in D3s target audience than PoEs. I guess if I'm ever really going to get into PoE I'm going to have to accept desync as a downside to a more complex game.

The third Master was revealed by Gamespot.

Obscure Node
    And Rampage league is revealed. I played some RoS and it was fun, but yesterday I played PoE again and it's much more fun for me. Can't wait for new leagues to start.

I love this game! Reminds me so much of Diablo!

Official trailer released here. Looks awfully nice... they need to give us a passive tree preview so we can figure out builds!