Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Though the thing that intrigues me most about this picture is the ladder. I hope it's useable in the actual game, different elevation levels would add a lot to the tactical depth of the combat system.
    What could elevation levels add? I could see the benefit of being up there if you had realistic line-of-sight, but I'm drawing a blank for the elevation itself. Maybe if ammo had a range where it was effective, and the elevation allowed you to lob grenades (or whatever) a little bit further.

Network Hub
    I am always puzzled by people complaining about something being "too colourful" have you seen the real world, it is full of rich, vibrant colours, it is only games that have this stupid notion of muted colour palettes.

Though I would say, they need a bit more contrast, the scorpitron and the characters seem a bit indistinct, but otherwise this looks pretty good considering it is still early in development.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 20-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Its quite surprising to see actual screenshot from game so quick,otherwise it looks way to cartoonish for post-apocalyptic game.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I expect it to be this: snip

Damn, it's looking similar already.

Aside: Dunno if it'd match the feel inexile's going for, but if Wasteland 2 happened to have ToEE-style combat, it'd be my dream game. Can't explain why, but I love when turn-based systems stylistically display stuff like who you're targeting (by drawing a line, for example) and show precisely the aoe for a spell. Like this:

and

And ToEE had some fairly impressive effects for its time:

Ok, enough of that.
    Last edited by squareking; 21-07-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    steam

Obscure Node
    The first screenshot looks pretty decent, but I care less about how the game looks and more about how it plays!

Neat screen-shot despite it being a very early concept shot it looks pretty promising already.

I am a bit amused by the comments calling the screenshot to colourfull though. If not for the green mist it would be almost uniformly brown.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Let's see how the first alpha screenshot looks in Wasteland's original 16 color EGA palette:

Here's the full size version. Enjoy !
    http://wstaw.org/m/2012/07/21/Wasteland2EGA.gif
    pass

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    otherwise it looks way to cartoonish for post-apocalyptic game.
    Every time I see someone post this (and I've seen it a lot already), I wonder if the person has ever even seen any screenshots of Wasteland. There was plenty of ridiculous stuff in that game that would be considered 'cartoony' now in this age of muted palettes, grimdark corridors and realistic military manshoots.

I want Van Buren as much as the next Fallout 1+2 fan, but this isn't it. This is Wasteland 2, and I want it to make me regret missing the first game, not make a half-arsed attempt at aping a different (yet related) franchise.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I agree. We had two huge Fallout games back in the day (that's more than most deserving franchises got), numerous spin-offs, and two more modernised Fallout games in recent years. Aping the risk-free AAA market by making yet another game in the same style would be a betrayal of Kickstarter and a betrayal of the Wasteland franchise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hope they don't make it too orange or too colorful or too cartoony (or add too much green glow) as that totally wouldn't fit with the style of Wastland or Fallout:

wasteland_box_cover.jpg

fallout.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Every time I see someone post this (and I've seen it a lot already), I wonder if the person has ever even seen any screenshots of Wasteland. There was plenty of ridiculous stuff in that game that would be considered 'cartoony' now in this age of muted palettes, grimdark corridors and realistic military manshoots.

I want Van Buren as much as the next Fallout 1+2 fan, but this isn't it. This is Wasteland 2, and I want it to make me regret missing the first game, not make a half-arsed attempt at aping a different (yet related) franchise.

I don't care how first one looked,we are talking about POST-APOCALYPTIC game,the look can't be cartoonish/to colorful.

Activated Node
    If you don't care how the first one looked, then that's your first mistake. You can't just say post-apocalyptic = muted grunge. That's just plain stupid. It's like saying 'its a MODERN FPS- IT HAS TO BE BROWN'.

It's that kind of thinking that'll just make the genre stale.

It of course relates to the colours that were available at the time, but I primarily remember Wasteland to be a very pink game for some reason. I also remember plenty of green areas. So, while it's POST-APOCALYPTIC, it's still a different wasteland from Fallout.

Here's hoping there'll be plenty of pink in the game!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    I am always puzzled by people complaining about something being "too colourful" have you seen the real world, it is full of rich, vibrant colours, it is only games that have this stupid notion of muted colour palettes.
    It depends on the environment though. I always wonder why people complain that war games set in the Middle East or something are brown. I always thought that one of the main points of camouflage was to blend into the environment... but apparently it needs more colour. The argument that "real != brown" is wrong for most of the games it's levelled against. A more accurate argument would be "stop manshoots in deserts" or something.

As for Wasteland 2, I'm with you though. I'm glad I'm not a game developer. Make something colourful and it's "too cartoony". Make something too realistic and it's "too brown". I'd just give up, because whatever you choose, a bunch of people stand up and shout "No, the colours are all wrong.

That said I don't think the old "Wasteland was colourful!" argument holds up because there was such a limited colour selection that you had to pick crazy colours to be able to distinguish sprites from backgrounds and other sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I don't care how first one looked,we are talking about POST-APOCALYPTIC game,the look can't be cartoonish/to colorful.
    2 things.

1. Why does 'post-apocalyptic' have to mean 'not-colourful'? (Thankfully) we haven't experienced an apocalypse in a very long time, so we don't really know what the world will look like afterwards. Sure, Mad Max and Fallout were very brown, but that doesn't mean Wasteland needs to be. Besides, the forests around Chernobyl are actually flourishing at the moment. Radiation or not, the lack of human interference is allowing the area to thrive. Lush, green forests around the closest thing we have to an actual post-apocalyptic landscape? Huh.

2. It's a game. Even if post-apocalypse = brown was an indisputable fact (which it's not), this is still a work of fiction, a work of creativity, and the designers can do whatever the hell they want.

You have a point but still post-apocalyptic looks like something from The Road,for me of course.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    we haven't experienced an apocalypse in a very long time, so we don't really know what the world will look like afterwards.
    It's just a genre thing, like high fantasy or superheroes or whatever. Doesn't have to make logical sense, it's tradition. There wouldn't actually be ridiculous mutants after a nuclear apocalypse either.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    It's just a genre thing[...]
    To be perfectly honest, I hadn't really thought about it from that angle, and that's a fair point.

But still, personally I enjoy it when people turn genre conventions on their head and try and do something different, so I'll still be barracking for a non-brown Wasteland 2.

It doesn't need to be brown,seriously men think a little..

It could mix of grey and brown.. :x haha

[img]http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/un.../road_lede.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content...he_road_14.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.thinkhero.com/wp-content/...d-movie-05.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.3dworldmag.com/files/2010...ad_urnpike.jpg[/img]

Whats with pics,why don't they work :o

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Besides, the forests around Chernobyl are actually flourishing at the moment. Radiation or not, the lack of human interference is allowing the area to thrive. Lush, green forests around the closest thing we have to an actual post-apocalyptic landscape? Huh.
    It's not even close to apocalyptic. The Chernobyl NPP belched out obscene amounts of radiation which makes the place unfit for human habitation (though some people do still live within the Zone, such as it is) but it's not like nuclear warheads went in and glassed the place. The plant didn't so much as explode in a massive fireball that consumed a city as it would if there was a nuclear blast, nor was there a nuclear winter or anything of the sort. Chernobyl does not indicate what a nuclear war would look like.

If you want to know what a post-nuclear-war environment would look like, the closest you can come is Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Pretty much everything in the killzone is brown. Outside the blast it's a different story, but...

2. It's a game. Even if post-apocalypse = brown was an indisputable fact (which it's not), this is still a work of fiction, a work of creativity, and the designers can do whatever the hell they want.
    That works both ways. They can exaggerate the effects of nuclear weapons if they want to, turning them into giant fireballs that wipe out masses of countryside in the blink of an eye. Hell, the very notion of "wasteland" is a vast expanse of nothing. You can't really call it "wasteland" if it's vibrant and filled with life.