Wing Commander 4 now on GOG

Is it worth playing even if I've never really gotten into space sims? I do like trading games (Patrician the original Elite) though and I've heard nothing but good things about this particular one.

First of all, in no way is this a sim, basic Newtonian physics is somewhat missing (and does anyone remember the movie? They used sonar. In space. Where no-one can here you ping.).

If you don't like the combat (try to keep the target in your cross-hairs while he tries not to be there, with some basic energy management, iirc) you won't like the game, it isn't a trading game, it's pure out and out combat. It's been a long while since I've played it, but I recall some variety in the missions, but the overall reason for playing it was the soap-opera unfolding as the game progress, virtually linear (there were a couple of actual choices to make), but fairly tightly written.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, don't mix Wing Commander I-IV (plus Prophecy), which are space combat games with a strong narrative, with Wing Commander: Privateer, which is the more open ended series that lets you be a mercenary, engage in trade, piracy, etc. (they still have a plot if you want to "beat" the game, but the focus is more on doing-what-you-want).

Oh right must have crossed the franchises somewhat. I actually quite like straight uncomplicated combat flight sims (Crimson Skies 4life yo) it's the needless control complexity that put me off space sims. A space sim that just had controls for accelerate, brake, shooty laser and missile like a 3D Starfox game would be more my thing.

Well, I don't recall it being that complicated, you have faster, slower, go this way, zap and rocket controls, plus commands for more shooty, more speedy and more shieldy if you feel the need.

The other thing that puts me off most flight sims is the lack of speed and place, I mean space is mostly empty I accept that. But it doesn't half make for boring settings for dogfights. How do the Wing Commander games fare in that sense?

Has there ever been a Crimson Skies in Space type game? Where the levels are filled with loops and tunnels and sexy cloud banks and things to dodge and your ship goes at speeds in excess of woosh.