Activated Node

DotA clones I can play single-player skirmish on

Original Warcraft III mod aside, are there any DotA clones out there that I can play single-play skirmish games on?

League of Legends has co-op vs. AI. I think you might be able to set up a custom game with just yourself and bots vs. other bots, but I'm not entirely sure.

Dota 2 lets you play with bots vs. bots, so that's your best bet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I played quite a lot of Demigod singleplayer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Updated AI Bots in LoL are worth fighting against.

Demigod AI was not to bad I guess. Tho they sometimes make questionable moves and let you feed off them.

Both League of Legends and Demigod do have singleplayer but they are incredibly flawed. They will provide a challenge briefly, but once you have the hang of it you will never lose to them and only very very rarely even die.

However, the LoL bots are being updated fairly regularly, maybe one day they will be challenging.

I've heard that Dota 2 has some rather good bots built in though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    DotA2 bots are at times a bunch of arseholes that will gang up on you until you fall to your knees begging for mercy, and at times dumber than a brick wall. It seems to depend greatly on what heroes they choose, it seems that single play isn't quite their forte, but depending on their chosen heroes, their teamplay skills are beyond human capabilities (which makes sense), and can pull of some nasty combos.

Obscure Node
    Smite has some AI battling.

LoL is good enough to get a feel or the game.

LoL is just about the only game I play at the moment - and even that not too often. I like it though, even with the ragers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They have been updating LoL bots. Putting effort into custom AI for each character.