Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The Best Games Ever Made/Your Favorites

Having just made a thread about not-so-great games, I thought I'd follow it up by asking the RPS community to list their favorite game(s) and, if you want, give a brief explanation as to why you love the game. I searched the RPS forums extensively to make sure this topic hadn't been posted before, and, surprisingly, I didn't find a thread like the one you're currently reading. If I missed it, please let me know and link the thread. Anyway, here's a list of some of my favorites:

Strategy (just lumping together RTS, RTT, etc. for simplicity's sake): Rome: Total War. The level of detail and strategic depth of this game was simply astonishing for its time. I still really enjoy R:TW to this day.

FPS (Single-player): Doom (I+II) and Blood. There are plenty of FPS games, like Half-Life, that I don't think I can even compare to the "old school" shooters I've listed, in that games like Half-Life and games like Doom attempt to accomplish totally different things. More to the point, Doom and Blood achieve the best and purest brand of first-person shooting that I've ever encountered. The levels, weapons, enemies, and basic feel of the combat in both games is absolutely superb. Most importantly, the act of shooting feels immensely powerful and satisfying in the games.

TPS: Max Payne. Some will argue that Max Payne is essentially an FPS, but with the camera backed up a bit. While this is essentially true, I prefer the controls and mechanics of Max Payne to any of the "true" TPS's I've played, most of which feel unnecessarily slow and cumbersome. Max Payne combined a phenomenally dark atmosphere, satisfying, tight shooting mechanics, and exceptionally challenging levels to produce a rewarding and enjoyable experience. Despite its extreme linearity, I've played Max Payne through about three times and had a lot of fun during each playthrough. The game's lasting appeal is, to me, a testament to its immense quality.

RPG: Fallout. The thing that initially set Fallout apart from the pack, and still does, is the weight the game gave to choice. Unlike most RPGs (Kingdoms of Amalur, TES, etc.) which allow the player to turn characters into supermen that can do anything and everything, Fallout forces the player to make difficult and meaningful character development decisions that create a true, specialized role. Resources are also very limited throughout the game, which adds an additional element of complexity through involved inventory management.

Survival-Horror: Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Silent Hill 2. Survival-horror doesn't exist in the mainstream anymore. Resident Evil 4 supposedly "changed" survival-horror, but in truth, RE4 is nothing more than an third-person horror shooter. Since RE4 is part of a series that was previously composed of true survival-horror games, most people, incorrectly, considered RE4 as such. There is no scarcity of resources in RE4 and the enemies are no more a threat than they are in a typical action game. The culmination of these elements not only removes any survival element from RE4, but also castrates the horror. Conversely, Silent Hill 2 provides the player with very few resources, limits, some would argue cheaply, combat effectiveness, and creates a dark, penetrating psychological horror that relies heavily on a perpetually unnerving atmosphere, rather than cheap jump scares. Amnesia takes the Silent Hill 2 approach to survival-horror even further, by completely removing all means of fighting/killing enemies. All enemies encountered in Amnesia are, as a result, extremely scary, in that even a single enemy can easily kill the player.

Multi-genre game: System Shock 2. A lot of people would probably choose Deus Ex for this slot, but, in my opinion, System Shock 2 is undeniably better. Combining first-person shooter, role-playing game, and survival-horror, System Shock 2 expertly implements the various constituent elements of its design. Scarce resources, dangerous enemies, and complex inventory management establish great survival-horror gameplay. The role-playing is similarly fantastic, as, like Fallout, the skills system forces the player to take on a specific role (hacker, shooter, psi user, and others) which leads to difficult decisions as to the best course of development for your character. The shooting isn't very good, but it's far more functional than Deus Ex. The Dark Engine does make the melee wrench a rather satisfying weapon, however.
    Last edited by Vdaxzter; 04-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.

One question, who would argue max payne is a first person shooter and why ?

Activated Node
    Max Payne is a great FPS. Pity about the guy that runs around in front of you all the time, mimicking your movements.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.doo View Post
    One question, who would argue max payne is a first person shooter and why ?
    I don't know, because it's not first person. The fact that it's particularly smooth is irrelevant.

EDIT: Oh, to contribute, I agree with Doom and Doom 2. I'll also add for the RTS sector Total Annihilation, for the rudimentary projectile physics. That game was a hell of a lot of fun and the economy was particularly easy to understand but allowed for major efficiency planning.
    Last edited by soldant; 04-04-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Hi there friend.

For the record, I think that Max Payne is a TPS, but I've read the argument that it is just a FPS with the camera backed up. The person argued that since Max Payne does not separate the movement of the camera and the movement of the character, as most "modern OTS TPS's do," Max Payne doesn't count as a TPS. I disagree, since MP is, in the most literal sense, a third-person shooter, but I acknowledged the existence of the argument in the OP in case anyone else felt MP isn't a true TPS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Look at that! JUST LOOK AT THAT! It responds on topic and spams. Mass Effect was right all along!

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Look at that! JUST LOOK AT THAT! It responds on topic and spams. Mass Effect was right all along!
    I think we have just witnessed Skynet become self aware.

It's just like the Geth! When more and more of them are in close proximity, they get smarter!

HELP US, SHEPARD!

Outcast, Fallout 2, Deus Ex, Half-Life. All have enough of a classic status that I'd imagine the reasons why they mean so much to me are the same reasons they mean so much to so many people. Also it's 7:39 and I'm too tired to think of original paragraphs for each.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Deus Ex because Deus Ex

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Always preferred System Shock 2 over Deus Ex myself as well, the atmosphere and story were just a different level from anything I'd played before. While Deus Ex was undeniably brilliant, it didn't have quite the same impact on me (or my trousers).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

I guess this is a mix of my favourite and what I consider some of the best. Obviously a big difference between the two as a game that's close to my heart may have plenty of flaws.

Super Metroid (SNES)
    Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS2)
    Morrowind (PC)
    Diablo 2 (PC)
    Portal (PC)
    Terraria (PC)
    Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
    Alpha Centauri (PC)
    C&C: Red Alert (PC)
    Total Annihilation (PC)
    Freelancer (PC)
    Freespace 1 (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Mass Effect (Xbox)

God, I can't narrow this thing down! I'll have to go write something about them eventually...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I think we have just witnessed Skynet become self aware.
    I never thought Skynet would try to annoy us all to death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    FPS: Stalker:Shadow Of Chernobyl
    Runners up: Ghost Recon 1,Rainbow Six:Raven Shield,Deus Ex,Half Life 2.

TPS: Max Payne 2
    Runners up:: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Resident Evil 4,Kane And Lynch,Freedom Fighters.

RTS: Company Of Heroes
    Runners up: Total War:Medieval 2,Soldiers Heroes Of World War 2,W40k:Dawn Of War,Supreme Commander.

RPG: Gothic 2
    Runners up: Alpha Protocol,Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines,Dungeon Siege 2,KOTOR.

Sandbox: Mafia:City Of Lost Heaven
    Runners up: GTA 4,Ultimate Spiderman,Protoype,Just Cause 2.

Fighting: Street Fighter 3rd Strike
    Runners up:Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike.

Stealth: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
    Runners up: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Death To Spies,MGS,Thief 2.

Network Hub
    Strategy: Starcraft

Adventure: Day of the Green Tentacle

FPS: Quake

Fighting: Marvel vs Capcom 2

RPG: Ultima 7

MMORPG: Ultima Online

FPS/RPG: Deus EX!

Sim: Theme Park

Survival/Horror: Alone in the Dark 2

Platform: VVVVVV

Action/adventure: Little Big Adventure 2

Shootemup: Ikaruga

Driving/Racing: Gran Turismo

Terraria has to be my fave game to play with a friend :)

Strategy: Rome: Tee-Dub or AoE2. Age of Empires for Nostalgia but Rome:TW for sheer number of hours I ploughed into the game.

FPS (Single-player): Counter-Strike (1.5/1.6 - Never played Beta through 1.3 so don't hate).

TPS: GTA III or Orcs Must Die.

RPG: Skyrim, KoTOR, Mass Effect.

Survival-Horror: Never played too much survival horror. Would Dead Space count? That was pretty good.

Multi-genre game: Deus Ex.

Driving: Gran Tourismo.

I always fail to come up with a single winner :(

Fallout 1 & 2, and after them there are far too many for me to decide to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    RPG: Gothic 2
    Runners up: Alpha Protocol,Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines,Dungeon Siege 2,KOTOR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    RPG: Ultima 7
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    RPG: Skyrim, KoTOR, Mass Effect.
    Interesting...

I need some thinking time before I commit to anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Hybrid: VtM:B, Deus Ex
    MP FPS: Battlefield games, perhaps 2142
    SP FPS: Half-Life
    TBS: X-com, JA2
    RTS: DoW2: Retribution
    RPG: nope, not even going there
    JRPG: Valkyria Chronicles
    Pseudo JRPG: Septerra Core
    Driving: I have no license
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 04-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Network Hub
    Unreal Tournament
    Thief 1 and 2
    Half-Life
    Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
    Deus Ex
    Witcher 1 and 2
    All three of the Stalker games.
    Freespace
    System Shock 2