Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Mario galaxy 1 and 2, The legend of Zelda-skyward sword, diablo 2, the legend of Zelda - twilight princess, super Mario 64,
    Paper Mario -the thousand year door, the legend of Zelda-majoras mask, donkey kong country, tetris, the legend of Zelda-ocarina of time, metroid prime trilogy, Mario kart 7, Pikmin

I dread threads like this, but I decided not to pussy out and name everything that comes to mind, but to limit myself to selecting one game and naming three runners up per genre of my choosing. I shall bold up my picks for people who like to skim through these long posts (slackers!). So here it goes:

FPS - Arguably my favorite genre, but definitely my favorite game in the genre is Half-Life 2. In my honest opinion it still has the best FPS campaign; it raised the bar so damn high when it came out that it's yet to be surpassed. Modern FPS games need to sit down and take notes on what diversity, pacing and atmosphere are; and HL2 is the perfect teacher.

Runners up: DooM (the obvious choice, so sorry for that. But it does feed my more primal urges of carnage and slaughter), No One Lives Forever 2 (I prefer it to it's predecessor and think that it did pretty much everything better; a perfect blend of espionage parody and FPS action) and Call of Duty 2 (no joke, it's not only the best campaign in the series but also the best war themed FPS).

RPG - A love and hate genre for me that's riddled with some of the best games in creation; still the standout title will always be Baldur's Gate 2. The depth, ambition and complexity of the game are awesome to say the least; and not only in the game's core systems, but also in the writing and art design. Despite being set in the most generic of settings, the game feels truly unique in every conceivable way. No quest feels arbitrary, and some side quests in this fantasy epic could easily be the center pieces of other, lesser games.

Runners up: Diablo (I often call it the game that made me love games; unfortunately the sequel lost out on some of that delicious atmosphere that the original gave out in spades), Fallout (a truly unique and darkly hilarious game; a diamond in the rough) and Dark Souls (a standout game in the genre; it's the anti-RPG in a lot of ways, focusing on skill in combat instead of stat min-maxing, minimalistic and poetic narrative instead of walls of lore and exposition, and creative world and level design instead of the boring and cliche locales of most other games in this genre).

3rd Person Action - Such a rich and diverse genre that's riddled with outstanding games. It's hard to really cherry pick one single game here so I'll go with my gut instinct and just say Shadow of the Colossus. It's a rare game, not only in this genre but also in the whole of gaming, that plays with your heart strings and doesn't come off as forced or unjustified. The ending especially is hauntingly beautiful and melancholy; but then again it's hardly representative of what the majority of this game is truly about. It's about the pure exhilaration of climbing and besting a series of towering monstrosities.

Runners up: Metal Gear Solid 4 (apart from the eccentrically unique world design and nail-bitingly tense and diverse gameplay, MGS4 has the best presentational values of any game out there; in a lot of ways it's the perfect blockbuster videogame that also happens to be a true anime), GTA IV (a modern crime epic in every conceivable way, and the controversy that surrounded it only reinforces that claim) and Max Payne (Hong Kong action meets pulp noir to make one awesome and unique gaming experience; let's hope that Max Payne 3 can recapture some of that slow-mo magic).

Puzzle - I love puzzle games but a lot of them are very susceptible to repetitive design and gameplay. Not Portal however. The depth of this game despite of it's minimalistic design astonishes me every time I play it. And I'm not only talking about the design, story, humor and gameplay, but also about the abundant symbolism and subtext within it, and how clear and concise it is. For me, it's the first game that broke out of the confines of the medium and became a true artistic masterpiece.

Runners up: ICO (however awesome Portal might be, I can't help but feel that it also stands on the shoulders of giants as well; probably starting with this one right here), Portal 2 (still more Portal and it's still amazing; although brevity is the the soul of wit and therefore the sequel doesn't quite reach the highs of it's predecessor. Aim for the starts and you might just get to the Moon, amirite guys?) and World of Goo (such a stupidly unappreciated game; quirky and colorful design with a very engrossing and yet deceptively simple core gameplay mechanic).

Simulation
    - I do enjoy a good sim, and because of my love of driving I must say that Gran Turismo 5 is probably my favorite. It boasts an ungodly amount of cars, from a silly Fiat 500 to the Ferrari F1 race car. The track list is very diverse and the Gran Turismo mode is still an addictive feature that keeps me obsessing over my garage. But the truth of the matter is that I'm nuts about the game's driving model, and nothing really brings me as much joy in gaming as whizzing around Nurburgring in my suped-up bimmer.

Runners up: Silent Hunter III (dear lord what a rewarding feeling it is to sink those battleships with your torpedoes; all sexual allusions are completely on purpose, because I do think that there is some sexual release going on here. It's very orgasmic, since you work very hard for every torpedo launch, and when you hit the mark it's usually over in seconds), IL-2 Sturmovik (even after all these years it remains the ww2 flight sim to play; primarily because of it's unparalleled flight model) and PES 4 (it was THE football sim on the PS2, and although better football games have come out since none of them have provided as many sleepless nights as this one).

Indie - I find it a bit unfair to lump all these outstanding games under a single category since I firmly believe that there's no quality gap between an average AAA title and a small-time downloadable game, but then again how would one categorize some of these? Take my top choice for example: Minecraft. Is it a FPS? Hardly. But whatever it might be, it's quite amazing. It borrows the best parts of lego (the building), removes the annoying part (the limited supply) and adds an insane amount of other fun features on top; including survival, crafting and my favorite, exploration. It's a marvel of human creativity and quite possibly a glimpse in to the future of gaming.

Runners up: Super Meat Boy (Charming, hilarious and tough as nails; it's the game that gladly points out that there's a little masochist in all of us. In my opinion it's the best 2d platformer since the SNES days), The Binding of Isaac (what makes Isaac such a great game, apart from it's amazing and addictive gameplay elements, is the morbid humor. It's a game that's got a pair and is ready to go there, all for our amusement) and Braid (I'm not going to praise this game for it's "artistic" merits because too much has already been made of too little in my opinion. But Braid still remains a top game, primarily because of the gameplay mechanics and the delightful art style and score).

Multiplayer - Everyone enjoys besting a fellow human being in a competitive manner, and I am no exception. But I prefer to see it done in a humorous way while my opponents limbs and entrails are flying all over the place, so there's little surprise that Team Fortress 2 gets the nod here. The game is all about fun, and is not rage inducing like some of it's genre counterparts. I'm also one of the people who wholeheartedly embraces the hats and items and whatnot, as long as it stays mostly cosmetic and does not get in the way of the fun.

Runners up: EVE Online (my time in EVE was short, but extremely rich and eye-opening. I love the idea of a player driven universe and EVE has really lived up to it's ambitions. If I ever returned to MMO gaming, I'd return to this one), Left 4 Dead 2 (I'm a sucker for FPS coop and L4D2 is the top game for that, no competition. Everything about it is spot on, from the humor to the excessive and satisfying gore) and World of Warcraft (this monster claimed years of my life, and I might never forgive it for that. But it's still the best closed MMO out there).

Since I have little liking for games of the strategic sort I decided not to make a long post even longer by blathering about something I have no idea about. But I will say that I do quite enjoy the Civilization games and think that RollerCoaster Tycoon needs mentioning as well (even though it's not strictly a strategy game).
    Last edited by ado; 11-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Best ranged weapon: Deus Ex Human Revolution (vending machine)
    Best melee weapon: Natural Selection (Onos devour) (halflife 1 mod)
    Best scorched earth: Company of Heroes
    Best murder training software: Hitman Blood Money
    Best telekinetic manslaughter: Trine 2
    Best ritual sacrifice: Sacrifice
    Best improvised explosives: Project Reality (BF2 mod)
    Best mandatory multiplayer prerequisite: Splinter cell Chaos Theory Versus (examination map)
    Best justified paranoia: Hidden: Source (halflife 2 mod)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

It's already been raised here, but every time the question of my favourite game comes up, one title springs to mind: Little Big Adventure 2. Purest delight.

Others: ArmA 2 multiplayer (probably the most time I've sunk into any game), Nethack, Beyond Good & Evil, Chaos (Martin Brownlow's Atari ST remake), Neverwinter Nights multiplayer, the Deus Ex series (even Invisible War was alright ;) ).. the list probably goes on

Network Hub
    One that hasn't been mentioned here, and doesn't get mentioned a lot in general, is Myth II.
    It still holds up today I think, the narration in particular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    FPS: Prey. The setting, the atmosphere, the storyline - yes, I really enjoyed it. Amazing stuff. Unforgettable. Runner's Up: System Shock 2, Quake 2 (because of the utterly sublime soundtrack).

TPS: Does Bayonetta count as a shooter? She has guns. Kind of. Seriously enjoyed Bayonetta.

RPG: Planescape Torment. Best characters and dialogues ever, and that's what I play RPGs for. Runners Up: Wizardry 8, Baldur's Gate 2.

TBS: Dominions 3. Hands down.

RTS: A toss up between Warlords Battlecry 2 and Kohan 1. What's this "*craft" stuff everyone's talking about?

Brawler: The old Double Dragon arcade machine.

Co-Op: For 2-player co-op, Portal 2 was absolute bliss. 3-player co-op, it's Trine 2. For 4+ players, I'd go with League of Legends.

Puzzle SpaceChem.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    RPG: Planescape Torment. Best characters and dialogues ever, and that's what I play RPGs for. Runners Up: Wizardry 8, Baldur's Gate 2.
    Contradictory?

Obscure Node
    Here are ten games I could name of the top of my head. These are not necessarily my favourites or in any sort of order.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Shenmue
    Shinobi III
    Pokemon Blue
    Star Wars Battlefront II
    Tecnhu
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Mass Effect 2
    Half Life 2

I could go on for hours listing every game that was awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Contradictory?
    Not at all. The reason why I love Wizardry 8 (instead of just liking it) is the absolutely outstanding and fantastic party-banter. I wish more games would allow me to give my NPCs real personality.

Also "DUTY. HONOUR, VICTORY!!!!!!" *squee* So cute!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo1981 View Post
    FPS/RPG: Deus EX!
    Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    RPG: Skyrim, KoTOR, Mass Effect.
    Multi-genre game: Deus Ex.(
    Ugh. Also Deus Ex belongs to the immersive sim genre. It's a handy name that, I think, more people should use.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    RPG: Gothic 2
    Again, Gothic 2 is not an RPG. There's a thick layer of direct real-time layer input, and stats only provide a certain depth while not being a crucial part of the system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Strategy: Shogun 2 (I haven't played many to be honest)
    Runner(s) Up: Commandos 2, Red Alert

FPS (Single-player): Half Life
    Runner(s) Up: Half Life 2, ARMA 2, No One Lives Forver 2, Duke Nukem 3D

TPS: Even though it didn't have the best reception, ONI is probably my most played third person action game.
    Runner(s) Up: GTA 3

RPG: Deus Ex
    Runner(s) Up: Final Fantasy 7, The Witcher 2

Online: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (M&B Warband a very close 2nd)
    Runner(s) Up:

Survival-Horror: Resident Evil 2
    Runner(s) Up: Amnesia, Resident Evil 4, Cryostasis

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Ugh. Also Deus Ex belongs to the immersive sim genre. It's a handy name that, I think, more people should use.

Again, Gothic 2 is not an RPG. There's a thick layer of direct real-time layer input, and stats only provide a certain depth while not being a crucial part of the system.
    Stats don't make the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."

Gary Gygax
    What we've learned about RPGs is that an RPG is whatever the company affixes the label to.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Best "great game despite bugs and lack of content": KOTOR II
    Best Everything: Deus Ex
    Best crashes: Burnout Paradise
    Best Walking Sim: Morrowind
    Best use of an amnesiac protagonist: Planescape Torment
    Best "That's not an RPG" RPG: Alpha Protocol
    Best Bad Game: Path of Neo
    Best Voice Over: X-Men Legends 2's Colossus

Games to take with mo on a remote little Island :

Pretty much all that have been named so far...and:

Mods : Natural Selection, Project Reality, Neo Team Fortress Classic (submod of TFC, R.I.P.), Homeworld 2 Complex Mod

Retrogames : (c64) Fort Apocalypse , Jumpman Series (Atari St) Oids (Gameboy) Zelda Links Awakening (Psx) Final fantasy Tactics,Star Ocean 2 (Pc Remakes) Bruce Lee ,Jetpac

Indie : OpenTyrian ,Dwarf Fortress,Incursion Halls of the Goblin King, Stone Soup ,Spelunky ,Hydorah

Strategy : Tacops ,Dow I Series (including Soulstorm),Starcraft Brood War , Master of Orion 2 ,Homeworld Cataclysm ,Distant Worlds , Winspmbt , Hearts of Iron 2

Shooters : Quake 3 Arena , HL 1 ,System Shock 2 ,Unreal tournament

Rpg : Ultima VI,Infinity Engine Games

"Tactical" : Xcom Apocalypse , Ufo Aftershock,Men of War

Most Remake-worthy: Emperor of the Fading Suns
    Last edited by Arona Daal; 11-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Nice parody of me. I give it 7/10.

Nice parody of me. I give it 7/10.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/immersive-sim/92-5700/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Thanks for that link but I don't know what you want me to do with it.

Thanks for that link but I don't know what you want me to do with it.
    Its not an impression of you, its a long standing notion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Its not an impression of you, its a long standing notion.
    I don't know, dude. There's nothing on that page that is a long standing notion of me. Having said that, I'd happily accept this term if it means we can dump half of all action RPGs into it. It would suit The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I don't know, dude. There's nothing on that page that is a long standing notion of me. Having said that, I'd happily accept this term if it means we can dump half of all action RPGs into it. It would suit The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    Maybe not Oblivion due to the extreme funneling and issues with "elaborate and believable game world" but otherwise, yeah I guess most of these games if the AI's behaviour was a little better as to allow more than just "kill your way to room B" to be valid methods, But hell, I'd totally ban Bioshock from it. Bioshock is a shooter with a a few cool things, but that's all it really is.