Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Maybe not Oblivion due to the extreme funneling and issues with "elaborate and believable game world" but otherwise, yeah I guess most of these games if the AI's behaviour was a little better as to allow more than just "kill your way to room B" to be valid methods, But hell, I'd totally ban Bioshock from it. Bioshock is a shooter with a a few cool things, but that's all it really is.
    Well, you can stealth through dungeons, kill things using weapons, kill stuff using magic, run through using magic and summon stuff to fight for you. The AI might suck, but the AI in Deus Ex sucked too. I agree with BioShock though. That's definitely not an immersive sim.

Activated Node
    Because i dont like a lot of genres im going to just list my fave games of all time.

Flashback - Megadrive (Best platformer IMO)
    Bioforge - PC (Best action/adventure IMO)
    Worlds of Legend - PC (on my 8086 - god im old)
    Baldurs Gate 2 (Need i say more)
    Fallout 1 & 2 (Need i say more?)
    Morrowind (Really was atmospheric)
    Europa Universalis 3 (Best grand strategy game)
    UFO Enemy Unknown (Best game!)
    UFO Afterlight (Really really good attempt with great innovations)
    The witcher (ARPG)
    Ascendancy (Started the 4x genre for me and was very atmospheric)
    Masters of Orion 2 (Pinnacle of the 4x series for me)
    Civilizatioon 4 (Good modern 4x)
    Mount and blade (And as of yet undefined genre with great replayablity and mods)
    The Guild 2 (Great medieval sim with just a few bugs)
    Empire Earth (Great strategy game)
    Total annihalation (Great big strategy game)

I think thats enough UFO ENemy unknown is my fave though
    Last edited by Dariune; 11-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Stats don't make the game.
    Stats make an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    I don't know, dude. There's nothing on that page that is a long standing notion of me. Having said that, I'd happily accept this term if it means we can dump half of all action RPGs into it. It would suit The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    Yes, although, of course, ever since Daggerfall Bethesda made quite terrible immersive sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Well, you can stealth through dungeons, kill things using weapons, kill stuff using magic, run through using magic and summon stuff to fight for you. The AI might suck, but the AI in Deus Ex sucked too. I agree with BioShock though. That's definitely not an immersive sim.
    What was wrong with AI in Deus Ex?
    Last edited by Doesn'tmeananything; 12-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tmeananything View Post
    Stats make an RPG.
    Says who?

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Mr. Common Sense.

Mr. Common Sense.
    So, basically, your ass?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

You're welcome to argue otherwise.

You're welcome to argue otherwise.
    I don't argue with asses.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    My favorite game is trying to guess how many pages a thread will reach before Nolano and some other jerk derail it into the oblivion of genre definition arguments.

Hmm! I think:
    RTS: Homeworld 1/2, either of them would be my first pick! As far as strategy games in general go, Homeworld is still my favourite but Rome: Total War comes close.

RPG:
    Fallout 2 is just lovely.

Stealth: Thief is a personal favourite of mine. Great sneaking, and Garrett is for some reason quite likable.

FPS: I had to sit and think about this one a long time and I realized I don't have a favourite FPS game in the same way I do with other genres. I like a lot of FPS games but rarely do I ever enjoy them enough to get a favourite. So I think I'd rather put an FPS hybrid as favourite here and I'll go along with Fallout: NV.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I don't argue with asses.
    Imagine a pretty lady then.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    My favorite game is trying to guess how many pages a thread will reach before Nolano and some other jerk derail it into the oblivion of genre definition arguments.
    So what, everyone should dump their lists and pat themselves on the back for a job well done?

Whatever discussion may arise here, it does not require obligatory participation.

So what, everyone should dump their lists and pat themselves on the back for a job well done?
    Somebody's pissed he's only thought of as "some other jerk."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Even though you cannot imagine how deep is that emotional scar, I also said that because I think it is unreasonable to discourage any kind of discussion on an internet forum.

Activated Node
    Even though you cannot imagine how deep is that emotional scar, I also said that because I think it is unreasonable to discourage any kind of discussion on an internet forum.
    Hehe I like this guy ^^^

Network Hub
    Make a thread about insulting eachother in a section of the forum that isn't about PC games and have it out there instead please.

Activated Node
    best sim:
    - Theme Hospital (such a shame it only has a campaign mode though. where is my sequel?)
    [such a shame Sid Meier's Railroads crashes so often]

best strategy:
    - Master of Orion 2 (needs a proper sequel so hard!)
    - UFO - Terror from the Deep
    - Hearts of Iron II
    - Age of Empires series
    [i also spent ages playing Civilization II, III and IV, and Alpha Centauri. maybe Civ V will one day rule 'em all, but vanilla Civ V leaves so much to be desired]

best MMO:
    - Eve Online (not just a game ;))

best puzzler:
    - Spacechem (makes me feel stupid though)

best RPG:
    - Fallout 1 and 2

best adventure:
    - Grim Fandango (only played it once though, at launch. i plan to make amends!)

favourite old skool arcade game:
    - Gyrodine

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Too lazy to divide by genre or put in any particular order but . . .

Grim Fandango (unique style, great story, great characters, properly funny)
    Outcast (Best action adventure around, sequel cancellation a travesty)
    Little Big Adventure 2 (Charm personified)
    Beyond Good and Evil (Almost as charming as LBA2, fantastic world, photography thing was a nice touch)
    Psychonauts (endlessley inventive, utterly cpativating, too many collectables can be forgiven!)
    Deus Ex (multiple solutions, unintentionally brilliant voice acting, enjoyable conspiracy theory nonsense. Plus Greasels!)
    Half Life (A game changer)
    Max Payne (Edges out Serious Sam in most enjoyable shootathon stakes)
    Worms Armageddon (rudely named worms, incredible multiplayer shenanigans, series was perfected by this point and boy was it good)
    Planescape Torment (the game that made me realise I didn't completely dislike RPGs, if only because it's basically an adventure game and a damn invloved good one at that)
    Spelunky (first hard as nails game I've ever really got on with, beautifully judged and has that "just one more go syndrome")
    Audiosurf (it just works with (most) music and as several other efforts have shown this isn't an easy thing to achieve)
    Portal (One of those games which made you wonder why it hadn't been done before. perfectly executed)
    Spacechem (possibly the best puzzle game of all time)
    Unreal Tournament 2004 (the only multiplayer shooter, along with UT99 of course, which I actually played a lot online, glorious over the top gibbage and was always fun, even when getting absolutely trounced)
    Last edited by Lambchops; 12-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Obscure Node
    My favorites are Morrowind, the current Skyrim, Borderlands, Fallout (I have fond fond memories of this one)

Stats make an RPG.
    Roleplaying makes an RPG, ie making choices for the protagonist. Do you know why RPGs have stats? Because before electronic games were a thing, we needed numbers to roll against in our games to keep things fair and prevent people from declaring that their character just killed God and ascended to heaven and took his place, and therefore he gets to take home the rest of the group's pizza.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There isn't much roleplaying in any video game, let alone RPGs. When you are roleplaying you get to think of what to do and then something (rules, GM, physics, player agreement, whatever) decides what the consequences are. Thus, you are creating your own story (collaboratively, of course). In cRPGs, what people call "roleplaying" and "choice'n'consequence" is more akin to choose-your-own-adventure books, in which you select which of a couple of someone else's stories you get to be told. That's not really roleplaying; it is very rare for the choice you actually want to make to be available to you. I think I get more real roleplaying in Crusader Kings 2, because that gives me a much wider variety of interactions with the NPCs, with a much wider variety of responses.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.