Thread: Firefall

Firefall

Any RPSers in the beta? Say hi if you see me, my character name is Zwiss.

Obscure Node
    I am, I'd be glad of other people to wander around with, though there isn't an awful lot to do at the moment but the PVP is good and quite replayable. My character name is Jimangi.
    It seems to be going through a funny patch at the moment though. It started lagging massively earlier today and disconnected me, now I can't get in again.
    Edit:The servers are up and running again fine now.
    The friend system is non-existent at the moment so the only way to meet people is to arrange to meet up in the same place.
    Last edited by jimangi; 04-04-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Yeah. Character name is Axyl. Say hey if you bump into me. :)

Remember NDA is still in effect until the 6th.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Axyl View Post
    Remember NDA is still in effect until the 6th.
    Yeah, hopefully after that's lifted they'll start letting more people in.
    Last edited by jimangi; 05-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Now the NDA has dropped, here's a couple of videos from me and my Gaming Community, Hate-Me Gaming.

and

there are 3 more videos to be uploaded tomorrow, possibly a 4th as well.
    • PvP,
    • Thumper (Resource Gathering) and
    • World Events.
    The possible 4th is likely to be Character Creation and the initial missions. :D

For those curious about my hardware..
    I'm running
    • i5 2500k @3.7Ghz,
    • 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 RAM @ 2Ghz,
    • MSI GeForce GTX580 1.5Gb GDDR5 and
    • Corsair Force 3 SSD for OS.
    In-game GFX options are set to Ultra across the board and plays flawlessly at 60+ FPS and easily holds a stable 30FPS whilst FRAPSing.

Obscure Node
    My favourite part of Firefall so far has to be gliding from the jump-pads, it's only a small part of the game but I love it. Swooping down and peppering the aliens with shots then swooping up again, I hope we get some modes dedicated to that.

What do you guys think about the game so far? I think it's neat, but not terribly compelling. To quote myself from the other thread:

As for the PvE content, it's all right. It's a bit like playing Borderlands...but with lag. Not much else to say at the moment.

The PvP, which I thought would be more like Tribes than it was, ended up being TF2 with Halo Reach-ish jetpacks...but with lag.

I think other people's impressions have been much more positive than mine. Is there something that I'm missing here? Aside from its F2P nature, I can't say that its gunplay and classes aren't that much more interesting than the games I mentioned above.

This is a copy+paste from a comment someone else posted on one of the Yogscast YT vids about Firefall..

This game is amazing but it's important to note that this isn't a come, check out the game before we release it beta. Major features of the PvE world aren't in the game yet and only the starting area is really implemented. It's very much a work in progress and still has a lot of work to go. The devs just really want player feedback while they create the game and not after when it's just down to tweaks that need to be made
    I think it's relevant to your question, Miker. :)

Original Video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJkZ43dPXs

Obscure Node
    The game didn't seem that laggy to me, perhaps they've optimised it since you played.

@Axyl: Yeah, I realize there's very little content right now, but I'm worried that it might turn out to be something like, well, Borderlands 1, where quests aren't terribly interesting. I'll hold judgment for now, though.

@jimangi: Last time I played was Wednesday. There's a new patch now that I'll try out, but I can't see them having taken leaps and strides in optimization since then.

In case anyone is interested, here's 3 more Videos from Hate-Me Gaming. This time, having a look at PvP, Resource Gathering and World Events. :)

Obscure Node
    Do you think Rossignol's forgotten he started this?

Put together another Firefall Beta video if anyone is interested.

:)

Everyone is comparing this game to the likes of Borderlands or even Gears of War, but given those videos it looks more like a cross between Jet Force Gemini and a bit of the Jak and Daxter games.

Which is a very, very good thing.

Today's patch adds friends lists! So it's plausible we could play together without having to make international telephone calls, camping in chatrooms, randomly whispering each other in hopes we catch each other, or throwing pebbles at each other's bedroom window in the middle of the night and hissing into the quiet, "Hey! Come on and play Firefall with me!" while the other person groggily replies, "It's three in the morning, dude. I'll get in big trouble with my dad if I get caught. I'm not coming out to play Firefall with you."

My character's name is Aiixandua, which isn't the easiest name to spell, but I think you can do it if you make the effort. You add me; I'll add you. There will be times that are good and had! If you like.