Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar

Dreamfall: Chapters has a release date.

And it's this month! 21st October to be precise.

I'm excited, but my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat. When a great game has a disappointing sequel, and the developers of the third game take time to reflect on why the sequel was disappointing, we get Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was good, but not quite what we were looking for.

I hope they've fixed a lot of the mechanical gameplay issues with Dreamfall, but I also hope we get a better story. Dreamfall had the feel of being written by someone who was aware of how great the first one was, and was trying too hard to repeat that. There's a lot of expectation riding on DF:C, so I really hope the storytelling doesn't buckle under that pressure.

I backed it in the Kickstarter because where my analogy falls down is that I didn't actually hate Dreamfall as much as I hated Deus Ex: Invisible War, and I was eager to see it continue. Especially given the cliffhanger Dreamfall ended on.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

"It's like Lost at start, everyone is lost, we were inspired from Lost"

"..It's also like Blade Runner and Game Of Thrones"

I toyed a little with words but that's all the PR I'll deal with.
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 03:20 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Yeah, the Lost remark was a little bizarre. Then again, Lost was quite good for the first two or three seasons, so presumably that's the comparison they were trying to make.

The Blade Runner / Game of Thrones thing isn't anything existing fans don't already know, but I think speaks to a bigger problem. They're explaining it in a way that would make sense to new players, because they're trying to pull that "equally satisfying for returning players and accessible for new players" trick, and I don't think that's ever been done well.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

I think the guys behind Lost were a little selfish and didn't really care to flesh out everything cool they came up with. I' ve watched very little of Lost though.
    These are not the guys behind Lost so in my mind it's like they are saying:
    act 1, some chars know more than you and your avatar do
    act 2, players catch up with the weird shit
    act 3, players know more than chars and get tricked in some endings they don't see coming
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 04:05 PM.
    post in progress

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    "..It's also like Blade Runner and Game Of Thrones"
    That's a bold claim, if I've ever seen one.

It better be super pretty like Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Otherwise I don't really care for "walking simulators". Yes, I'm shallow.

It was from the release date video and I think they were talking about the settings (lots of retrofitting for the sci fi one, realistic-enough-with-contained-magic for the fantasy one).
    It's ok not to like "box" games. They are not trying to be fun.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Any word on the Kinetic features?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

also note that John Walker writes for Tornquist now, though Im not sure if he wrote for this particular game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Ugh.. *shudders*

I dont think it matters if you like his journalist articles, I think he can write a good story.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I fail to see someone so incapable of persuasive writing could be a believable fiction writer. Is any of his fiction work in the wild? I'd happily be proven wrong.

For reference, I like JW as a games writer, it's just despite my views on SOCIAL JUSTICE TOTAL WARFARE mostly aligning with his, he manages to discredit himself by calling for the reader to be excellent while himself generally being snide and disingenuous, there is no good to be found in effort spent insulting who disagree with you in attempt to convert them after all.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Ugh.. *shudders*
    To be honest, his contribution to the DS port of BS1, which I played was the object descriptions...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    To be honest, his contribution to the DS port of BS1, which I played was the object descriptions...
    All the Broken Sword games have mediocre writing anyway, regardless of mister Walker's contributions.

As do the majority of point and click adventures, to be honest. You heard me.

EDIT: On the offchance someone thinks I'm trolling, I'm seriously not. I think Lucasarts are wildly over-rated on the whole (let alone Revolution et al) and I'm pretty sure I could count the number of point and clickers where the writing really impressed me on the fingers of one hand.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; Yesterday at 07:31 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Broken Sword not Bioshock right? I'd play the hell out of a Bioshock 2 DS port.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; Yesterday at 07:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Broken Sword not Bioshock right? I'd play the hell out of a Bioshock 2 DS port.
    So would I.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Harvest a few or Eleanor will be too naive for the world above, at the end choose death so she can make her own path. Don't forget to talk into the mic to reassure the little sisters so they don't struggle.

I am incredibly excited for this game. I think we're going to see payout from all the time they've spent thinking about this. Dreamfall was a arguably-failed experiment in "how can we take the adventure game into 3D?" and I am optimistic this will be a better outing. We shall see, of course, but the backer updates have been very promising, though the whole affair with the cancelled fan music competition was very depressing.

As for Walker - we don't know that he is a writer in the sense of "his prose is all over the game." He is advising, which may be writing, may be narrative-construction tips, may be "how to integrate the puzzles into your story," we really don't know.

Finally, I will point out that I cannot once recall Walker calling for "excellence" from readers - that is Jim's shtick, and Jim lives it.

While I'll never defend the gameplay in Dreamfall I think the story and character were much better than in TLJ.

Anyway, hope Chapters is good. It's by far the most I even spent on a Kickstarter...
    Add me: Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by buemba View Post
    While I'll never defend the gameplay in Dreamfall I think the story and character were much better than in TLJ.
    Pretty much. There were some cringeworthy jokes, misplaced comic moments etc., the usual point-and-click adventure nonsense, but it was a huge improvement over TLJ.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.