Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

What You Think About "Cradle"?

Try to locate a disc copy of Cradle, a recently published first-person adventure, but was told by local game store guys that it has only Steam online release, so probably have to figure out a way to get it as I do not use Steam. Any of you mates have tried it out? What you think about it?

This is a gameplay trailer by the developer released a month before the publication, so it should closely represent the finalized version:

For the price tag, it probably won't contain a large world, but I was given an impression that it should be an open world no matter how beautifully small it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I'm eyeing this up but also not buying any new games until I've been paid. So would be interested to hear people's thoughts. Though it's a little indie game isn't it? Makes sense that there's no disc copies or publisher involved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Steam holdouts interest me, squirrel do you not even redeem bundle keys?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

To bad the gameplay trailer does not show the boring crappy cube mini games. They are a too big part of the game. :( Sure, you can skip the mini games, but only after you failed one, which can take 10 minutes. The start of the game is great and the atmosphere is really good. The story is interesting. After that it degenerates into running back and forth between two locations and doing the mini games. The first dissapointment of this year for me.

I requested a refund for The Craddle, not only because of the mini games, i also had technical problems with the game.

Also, the graphic options are limited, just texture quality, screen resolution, AA. Other options are hidden behind a stupid quality slider. The FOV is a bit too low for me. You also can not change the controls, and mouse invert option is also missing.
    Last edited by sk2k; 26-07-2015 at 06:03 PM.

What? I did see the cubes in the gameplay trailer on Steam, and they did make me go 'wot?'. Seemed out of place.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    What? I did see the cubes in the gameplay trailer on Steam, and they did make me go 'wot?'. Seemed out of place.
    They are explained in the story. Still, for me they are just filler stuff and out of place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Ouch. I mean, it's just one guy's opinion but that does seem depressingly plausible - I also felt the cubes seemed worryingly at odds with the tone of everything else and hoped they wouldn't play too big a part. It'd be a crying shame if true - that is not the way to pad your game out, devs. I'll see what the hive mind thinks, or anyone else on here who takes the plunge.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK, I've tried *cough* "demo" *cough*, because I don't want to throw money at something that couldn't run well at my craptop.
    I've played for ~1 hour. Very minor spoilers ahead, because it's really just 15-20 minutes of game (if I've only had more than 20 FPS)

It's a strange little game. I don't like too much the item system. Interaction is done in manner of Gone Home, where you physically pick up an object and use it on another, but you can't rotate them or put it back gently on shelf, so I ended up with dropping everything on the floor.
    I've had to cook a food and found it little frustrating (and in the game), because I couldn't find a grider (hint: it's on top of the shelf) to smash dried root into powder.
    After cooking you use your dish to lure giant eagle who have hole in his chest and seems to be partially a cyborg.

Then after some hunting for clues you can turn on your robotic companion, Ida. You have quite long conversation with her, sadly it's rather linear. All the lines are voiced, although main character (whose name I can't recall) voice actor is kinda weak, which is shame. The lady is voiced alright, as there's robotic filter used over her dialogues.

She sends you to amusement park for more parts for her. Here the game turns into Portal x Minecraft minigame, which is really weird and out of place (but probably there will be more info about it later) and its rules are kinda confusing.
    That's the moment where my craptop decided to crash the game. :/

The world is kinda big, although I didn't explored it too much. I think that you can visit all places you can see.

Overall, it's somewhat like Pathologic - no handholding, it's something more than your regular videogame, controls could be more refined and polished etc. For this price, if you like Mongolian steppe, sci-fi, bizzare aesthetics and/or robotic ladies it's no-brainer, just buy it.

Wish I could play it on max settings with decent framerate. :(

You have to do the mini games to get parts for Ida. I wonder why they could not find a better solution for getting the parts. Maybe they were running out of money or time?

Network Hub
    FOV is narrow and locked, the controls are also locked. The dev's stance is pretty much "this is how it's supposed to be and we have no intention of giving you the option to change these things"

Screw them and their artsy game

Showed trailer to wife, she asked why the robot was so nipply, I held my head in my hands, fucking video games designers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Showed trailer to wife, she asked why the robot was so nipply, I held my head in my hands, fucking video games designers.
    You are being insensitive to big-nippled people, Helio. (Robots are people too...!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    You are being insensitive to big-nippled people, Helio. (Robots are people too...!)
    Perhaps, but do they feed their young via those nubbins or are they purely there for viewer titillation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    she asked why the robot was so nipply
    Minor spoiler - in first conversations with Ida she says that humans transfered their mind into cyborgs. You would rather choose beautiful robotic body rather than something ugly, wouldn't you? Also eye candy.

Also these bodies need to simulate things like breathing, otherwise your mind is going bonkers trying to breathe with non-existing lungs. Maybe they need nipple simulators too.

I'd rather be a bird with arms, or maybe a giant wasp for a more natural format. Adapting would be awkward but completely worth it. Flight, better limb redundancy and superior field of vision

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yeah. From the trailer it seemed like a Realdoll Maintenance Puzzler, which completely put me off.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    I was initially really interested but putting together a naked female robot model gave me serious doubts... I'll wait to see Wot Adam Thinks but don't have high hopes.

Edit: Also, going through the comments on the last main page post about this, it appears the team ran out of money at some point and this has been connected with a weird abrupt ending.
    Last edited by Donjo; Today at 02:21 PM.

Nice./172737%7

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Ohh interested again :D