Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Star Wars Battlefront - Nov 17th

Random details from the initial wave of articles. More detail will likely be coming out today and throughout the weekend.

Trailer is up in the next hour.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8

Nov 17th. PS4, One, PC. Rebel v Empire.

Speeder bikes, XWings, AT-AT, AT-STs, Y-Wing, Falcon, Snowspeeders, etc.

1st and 3rd person.

40 player battles

Multiplayer focused but with Offline single/co-op challenges.

Demo shown was running on PS4.

Unlocks (you can Tag team with a friend and have access to their unlocks.)

Mix of ground and air battles. No space only battles.

Focuses on original Trilogy era. Will have Jakku map (new desert planet shown in Force Awakens trailer).

Access to iconic characters as a team goal? (seen in mention in one article. You team could unlock, Vader for instance for someone to be).
    Last edited by Moraven; 17-04-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    No iron sights and no classes.
    Apparently the AT-AT path is scripted but players can control the guns.
    At least it has no campaign, only a bunch of solo/co-op missions.

Looking forward to some space and Clone Wars DLC...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    The lack of a space assault mode and fully controllable super-walkers is a massive disappointment for me. I had so much fun wrecking shit in the old AT-TE and making bombing runs on Star Destroyers. The lack of prequel trilogy is also a bit of a shame, given how much fun the prequel maps and tech were in the old Battlefronts (that V-Wing shotgun...), but the 3rd person mode, heroes and lack of iron-sights do make me cautiously optimistic,
    Last edited by EPICTHEFAIL; 17-04-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Is anyone else watching the reveal stream? It's the worst thing ever.

Activated Node
    It could be a lot of fun, I'm hoping the good parts from SW outweigh the bad from BF.
    "A thousand years from now, a dim-witted human barbarian will climb to the top of a pile of bones, sit down and proclaim: I win."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar

60 FPS target on all platforms

Will not have space battles apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    No iron sights and no classes.
    Apparently the AT-AT path is scripted but players can control the guns.
    At least it has no campaign, only a bunch of solo/co-op missions.

Looking forward to some space and Clone Wars DLC...
    That's excellent! :)

Looks fucking sweet IMO!

Personally not a fan of the last 2 main BF games, BUT I will keep my enthusiasm for this one because Star Wars and I like the sound of no classes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was hoping for a beautiful mashup, taking all the sci-fi loveliness of star wars and mashing it with the hyper-real affectations of battlefield. Blasters with heft. Tattooine villages reduced to rubble over the course of a skirmish. But if they're going for hero units and third person and all that stuff... it makes me worried it's just gonna be another floaty pew pew sci-fi shooter. Thankfully they've yet to come close to actually showing some 'gameplay' in their gameplay trailer, so I can yet live in hope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As much as you may or may not love Star Wars, it'll be an FPS with the same assholes which infest every other FPS and it's going to be a HARD SELL in the world of the modern online FPS!?

The original Battlefronts were great but expectations are WAY higher now - I suspect disappointment looms...

Mind you - I thought I was "done" with Star Wars and then Harrison Ford shows-up in the latest trailer and "Fuck me I'm 10 again"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I really like what I am seeing/reading so far. Some of the (missing) features are a disappointment, others are great changes (imho). So it somewhat evens out.

And by the way: Battlefront wont use BattleLog (I hope that that doesn't mean they created StarLog or some bs like that)

PS: You are never "done" with Star Wars. There are only two kinds of people. Those who love Star Wars and those who don't know yet that they love Star Wars ;)
    Last edited by bonkers; 17-04-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    As much as you may or may not love Star Wars, it'll be an FPS with the same assholes which infest every other FPS and it's going to be a HARD SELL in the world of the modern online FPS!?

The original Battlefronts were great but expectations are WAY higher now - I suspect disappointment looms...

Mind you - I thought I was "done" with Star Wars and then Harrison Ford shows-up in the latest trailer and "Fuck me I'm 10 again"
    This. And especially that last part about Ford/Solo showing up again.

No intention of ever buying another EA game. Ever. And I too thought, yeah, done with Star Wars. But then..."We're home, Chewy."

Wow.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    And by the way: Battlefront wont use BattleLog (I hope that that doesn't mean they created StarLog or some bs like that)
    Kind of a bummer, but yeah, I hope they don't replace it like that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. But I'm a bit worried that once we get to play it, it might reveal itself as just Battlefield in different clothing. Kind of like Hardline. We'll see.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    This. And especially that last part about Ford/Solo showing up again.

No intention of ever buying another EA game. Ever. And I too thought, yeah, done with Star Wars. But then..."We're home, Chewy."

Wow.
    Judging by the look on Han's face he's looking as forward to getting home again as much as I am looking forward to the possibility of having my childhood drawn and quartered by Hollywood again.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    I really like what I am seeing/reading so far. Some of the (missing) features are a disappointment, others are great changes (imho). So it somewhat evens out.

PS: You are never "done" with Star Wars. There are only two kinds of people. Those who love Star Wars and those who don't know yet that they love Star Wars ;)
    Yes :D

And thank god for no battlelog I do not likey.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Judging by the look on Han's face he's looking as forward to getting home again as much as I am looking forward to the possibility of having my childhood drawn and quartered by Hollywood again.
    I don't trust Disney, but I do trust Abrams. I never cared for anything Star Trek-related until he came along. There really only could have been one better outcome, and that would have been Disney handing the license to Marvel.

As for Battlefront: it's a modern EA game. It'll be bad.
    Last edited by Xzi; 18-04-2015 at 02:51 AM.
    ~∆

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Hmm. My favorite memories from Battlefront were the Cloud City map in the first game, and playing as either the Droids or the Clones in the second game. The droids in particular were a really interesting army to play as.

So color me disappointed.

I didn't mind the AI controlled heroes of the original, but I never found it any fun at all to play as heroes in the second. They were fine when I wasn't playing as them so I suppose as long as some people out there actually thought it was fun to play as the heroes and they aren't made more fun at the expense of everyone else (i.e. more powerful, relatively speaking) ... it doesn't do me any harm to have heroes in the game.

I don't like big scripted stuff in games like this unless it's a specific game mode rather than an unavoidable map fixture--I'd rather have smaller vehicles and immobile emplacements. I dearly hope that air-superiority is balanced well; in BF3 it can often by downright unpleasant to be infantry or mobile.

On the whole I'm optimistic. I don't think it will be bad. But I'm not sure it'll be enough to get me playing it, either. We'll see. :)
    Last edited by gwathdring; 18-04-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Relevant: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rs-battlefront

Btw: I like how you'll supposedly be able to switch between 1st and 3rd person view at will. I want that in every game, especially the next Mirror's Edge.

DICE general manager Patrick Bach told Eurogamer Star Wars: Battlefront does not feature a campaign. Rather, it features "crafted missions" that are played solo, with a friend via split-screen offline or cooperatively online.
    Does that imply that it isn't an actual DM-type of game? Like, "we against them"? That conflicts with the 40-player cap. I'm confused.
    Last edited by DanMan; 18-04-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    I don't trust Disney, but I do trust Abrams. I never cared for anything Star Trek-related until he came along. There really only could have been one better outcome, and that would have been Disney handing the license to Marvel.

As for Battlefront: it's a modern EA game. It'll be bad.
    Abrams has already made two Star Wars films, he just called them Star Trek. I wouldn`t worry there.

As I said before, I am cautiously optimistic for Battlefront. We do see capital ships in the trailer, and they do launch fighters, so there`s probably still going to be some ship-to-ship action, albeit in atmosphere. kind of like some SWBF2 mod maps, not to mention earlier concepts for BF3 (one of which showed capital and ground combat on the same map). So that part of Battlefront might make it in in some form after all. The classless system sounds pretty neat, if a bit CoD-y, and there will be bot games and singleplayer in some form after all, which I very much like.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Network Hub
    not playable as a ewok? pass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Curios to see DICE making this. Dice always has been over-ambitous in their games (I can't think of a battlefield which wasn't buggy at release, the much loved BF2 included). That being said, BF4 turned out to be really great in the end so I do have hopes for the nu-Battlefront.

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    not playable as a ewok? pass.
    That's Oddjob level cheapness :P

Plus who could shoot the Ewok? Isn't that some sort of future animal cruelty. Must be.