Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

New Maps of Battlefield 4 Really Play Like Planetside

Railgun (single-round loadable only though), hover tank, human cannon (for you to be launched in pod to any spot in a map, just like in Planetside how you are inserted into the field). I may give it a try, after more than a year we are precluded from the game.

Still look forward to over 100 men battle though. I had a taste of such in BF3 beta (and believe it or not, in Metro Rush!) and it worked just great (I managed to sneak through and got one dog tag, too.).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    They seem to play note like the good old 2142 maps, in my estimate

Good sign that DICE doesn't forget about 2142. This is the game in which dog tag hunting was originated. I just loving it.

There are new maps in BF4? What sort of maps? A new expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    There are new maps in BF4? What sort of maps? A new expansion?
    Final Stand

A bit sci-fi for a modern themed shooter.

Oh, that's out already? Cool.

I suppose it should feel 2142-ish, since the DLC pack is supposedly the lead-in for technology featured in 2142. Hence the experimental hover-tanks and rail gun.

I've also read online that (lore-wise) the DLC features the founding of the Pan-Asian Coalition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Ugh, I've played 2142 religiously and now I want to buy BF4 just for that map-pack.

Anyone still play 2142, by the way? Is there at least one half-full european server populated by people who are not cheaters and fun to play with? Some non-Camp Gibraaltar maps in rotation too? 1920x1200 natively supported( I think it wasn't last time I tried it)?
    Last edited by coldvvvave; Yesterday at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Unfortunately... I doubt it. BF2142 is the first multiplayer game that I really sunk my teeth into (playing with Tactical Gamer community), so I have fond memories of it.

I look forward to an update; I enjoyed the sci-fi angle, and the background of two massive coalitions of humanity fighting over the few resources left in the world. During an Ice Age, no less. It created some dramatic visuals.

There is a bunch of RPSers still playing BF4, as far as I remember.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...mans-shootings
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    i don't see how they can play like planetside, by being actual "maps". the thing with planetside is the huge persistent world.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Anyone still play 2142, by the way? Is there at least one half-full european server populated by people who are not cheaters and fun to play with?
    So 2142 is now infested with cheating? I haven't been playing for years but still feel very sorry to hear that.

That's what I like about Battlefield. Cheaters are really annoying, pop up here and there, but DICE is doing a great work in keeping most of them out of the scene. This is true at least for other Battlefield titles.

I recently spotted one in a BF3 game, every other players condemn him/her over text chat, and I really say hi to auntie. (You know what that means? If you understand Cantonese you will know).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    So 2142 is now infested with cheating?
    I have no idea but when I last played years ago glitchers were everywhere and I'm not even speaking of "moderate" glitches like pod-surfers and snipers on skyscrapers. On my favorite map - Berlin, the PAC respawn was always under fire from an invicible machinegunner who was hiding in a glitchy building nearby. Every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

never played 2142, can someone elaborate why it was considered good, besides "cool future tech"? otherwise, its just probably me, but firing a laser in an fps in my experience has never been as satisfying (or kinesthetically pleasing) as firing lead bullets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    You still fire bullets in 2142.
    Besides that, it was basically "BF2 but better", using it's future tech to do interesting things with the gameplay, such as the massive titans and the battles surrounding them.

However, MP is now rather defunct (due to gamespy calling it quits), not sure how far the fan-made solution is right now.