Obscure Node

Recommend a Sandbox

Several friends and I have, over the years, logged a ton of hours on games like minecraft and terraria, and lately we've started looking again for something to fill that gap. We want a big sandbox to play in and explore, with a persistent server to leave up all the time, but that isn't an MMO. We'd like to host maybe 10 people that we like and just log in and mess around. Build things, fight, that sort of thing. Any ideas/recommendations?

Other than Starbound. Starbound needs to get a bit further in development before any of us want to play it again.

Will be watching this thread with interest as this is a genre that I really enjoy, especially the more social cooperative type games. All the games I am following at the moment are still in development. Games like Planet Explorers (http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/) and TUG (http://www.nerdkingdom.com/game/). Planet Explorers seems further on in development but is focusing on single player first before adding multiplayer.

Obscure Node
    I looked at Tug (actually I own it) and it's still just prettier minecraft at this point, although I'm hopeful it turns out well. Planet Explorers looks like 2005 called and wants their graphics back. I'm not sure if I can get over that.

Have you heard of Haven and Hearth or the prettier version, Salem? During my vacation last year i could say i spent almost 1/3 of my days playing this games. They're pretty awesome but very deep, time consuming and slow. I would gladly play it again with some friends if i had the chance though. Check it out:

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/
    http://www.salemthegame.com/

And sorry for the english, brazilian here, still learning.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So what you want is basically Minecraft. Persistent server, exploration, building, etc.

I've yet to see a good game that's similar to Minecraft. I guess perhaps Space Engineers or Starmade? Neither gives you the breadth of Minecraft, though.

Don't know if you've tried Minecraft with mods, though. That can breathe new life into the game.

How about Wurm Online? Have not played it for some serious amount of time but should be much better now. Had a lovely community going and great medieval survival atmosphere. Extremely slow paced though but amount of detail is pretty impressive.

Obscure Node
    I haven't tried Wurm Online. I remember seeing some screenshots during development a few years ago and not being impressed. It currently looks pretty bad, but I'm reading that feature list and I think I'll give it a try. One drawback is that it's an mmo, and we're not really looking for an mmo.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gruevy View Post
    I looked at Tug (actually I own it) and it's still just prettier minecraft at this point, although I'm hopeful it turns out well. Planet Explorers looks like 2005 called and wants their graphics back. I'm not sure if I can get over that.
    Not sure how you're calling Planet Explorers out as being the ugly one of that trio. There's an out of date demo available for Planet Explorers here:

http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/download/

I'd really urge anyone to try it, and consider that the demo is about six months behind the current development.

Obscure Node
    Ugh. Tried wurm online, and the combat is just awful. Awful.

Obscure Node
    I've been playing Unturned over the last few days. It's essentially DayZ/Rust/Minecraft. It's also free, not an MMO, has both single and multiplayer modes and the combat isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gruevy View Post
    Several friends and I have, over the years, logged a ton of hours on games like minecraft and terraria, and lately we've started looking again for something to fill that gap. We want a big sandbox to play in and explore, with a persistent server to leave up all the time, but that isn't an MMO. We'd like to host maybe 10 people that we like and just log in and mess around. Build things, fight, that sort of thing. Any ideas/recommendations?

Other than Starbound. Starbound needs to get a bit further in development before any of us want to play it again.
    Maybe you could look into 7 days to die? It's still very much in development, but a couple of friends of mine logged dozens of hours on it already and seem to be enjoying it. Be careful what you buy into though, I don't know how finished the game is.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert