Page 274 of 1182 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374774 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 23629
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Apparently my game is just broken. I died again, and once more the entire dungeon unmapped and respawned every enemy on the floor. No. Just. No.
    Your progress should only be lost whenever you drop back to title instead of choosing one of the options. Otherwise you should be able to walk back to the exact spot where you died and find the same monsters with exactly the same health you left them with.

Or at least that's how it works for me at Hard/not hardcore, regardless of the dungeon level.
    Last edited by alms; 19-05-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My torchlight woes are gone, because I got my beta weekend invite :) I was pleasantly surprised to find that in both diablo 3 and torchlight 2, your ranged DPS has an early level skill to fire very rapidly, regardless of how impossible your choice of ranged weapon would actually make the task. I'm looking at you, demon-hunter crossbows.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Max Payne 3 is still brilliant, I think it feels like a Max Payne game, but it's got Rockstar's touch to it, it's actually better written that the first the only thing missing is the slight silliness to it, though there is some dark humour in its place. I really hope it gets a good PC version, because it's a wonderful game. Even if it wasn't well written, presented etc. it would still be worth playing for the phenomenal animations and physics engine.

Network Hub
    Set myself the goal of expanding my gaming horizons, so I'm planning on diving into a good RTS. Never really been very good at them historically, but want to appreciate the genre more. Any suggestions for a good series to start with and enjoy for an RTS newbie? Doesn't have to be recent necessarily. Just engaging with a reasonable learning curve. I was thinking RUSE, Starcraft II, or C&C Tiberium Sun. Thoughts?

I finally got around to starting Botanicula today, and it's lovely! Closer to Samorost than to Machinarium, but with a whole new aesthetic and mood and style of its own. Delightful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    Set myself the goal of expanding my gaming horizons, so I'm planning on diving into a good RTS. Never really been very good at them historically, but want to appreciate the genre more. Any suggestions for a good series to start with and enjoy for an RTS newbie? Doesn't have to be recent necessarily. Just engaging with a reasonable learning curve. I was thinking RUSE, Starcraft II, or C&C Tiberium Sun. Thoughts?
    Truely a newbie rts player should probably start with a nuanced tower defence game, say plants vs zombies.

Next play atom zombie smasher, it's a risk assessment and attrition experience which is alien to people. After that you need to decide which school of strategy game you want to learn, entropic or empirical.

Starcraft is an example of empirical, combat is resolved in a mathematically certain manner(C&C games belong in this group, as does Warcraft and many more) .

An example of entropic is men of war (or company of heroes or world in conflict) *

Simply put, in empirical rts luck has very little bareing, in an entropic rts management of everything going wrong is a core skill.

*WiC is a hybrid as the units are empirical but the omnipresent artillery is highly unpredictable at times
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Finished the tird chapter of The Dream Machine. Probably my favourite chapter so far in terms of puzzles, they've ditched some of the frustrations of the first chapter for a more detective-esque kind of feel, which is something I always tend to find satisfying when it come to puzzles. It still looks great and is utterly macabre at times. Definitely looking forward to the concluding chapters, though I kind of wish I'd waited for the whole thing to finish before buying as it definitely feels like one game arbitrrary chopped into chunks. Then again I get the impression it was only split into chapters because it's so time consuming to make and the devs needed some money to keep them going and I'm more than happy to do so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    How is PvZ "nuanced"? It introduces new towers with the precise purpose of countering whatever new threat a level presents. There's very little decision-making at all; I used essentially the same strategy with a few towers swapped out for every level. I'd be willing to bet that everyone else that played used the exact same strategy too. I still enjoyed it (because I'm a total sucker for tower defenses) but it was all a bit mindless if you ask me.

Still grinding away at Demon's Souls. In case you haven't heard, it's hard, especially since there's a Dark World tendency event for the remainder of the server's uptime. I found Dark Souls for a song at Goodwill so I've got that lined up next.
    Last edited by sabrage; 19-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Had a fair amount of Diablo III and Torchlight II beta.

I also played a little of the new Game of Thrones game, the voice acting sounds a little out of place and most people talk like dorky half-wits while Mors sound like someone from the Warhammer games. Combat isn't as bad as I expected and the graphics are quite decent.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 19-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Back to the Future. I'm really not sure why I seem to own every TellTale retail release (except for Jurrasic Park) because they're not fantastic games, but they can be charming in their way. Even looking forward to getting the complete Walking Dead after RPS ran a fairly positive article on the first episode.

I'm playing Dream Machine too. I'm in the middle of chapter 2 (I guess). I've made my first venture into the world of Proteus as well.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Max Payne 3 is still brilliant, I think it feels like a Max Payne game, but it's got Rockstar's touch to it, it's actually better written that the first the only thing missing is the slight silliness to it, though there is some dark humour in its place. I really hope it gets a good PC version, because it's a wonderful game. Even if it wasn't well written, presented etc. it would still be worth playing for the phenomenal animations and physics engine.
    The Rockstar touch is what is putting me off it. There's no sense of magic, wonder, awe, otherness, intrigue or strangeness in anything they do. It's all plain thugs and inelegant satire. Max Payne 1 and 2 are weird experiences and from everything I've seen of MP3, it's just a slick action fest like the kind of movie that once it's finished you'd say 'Yeah, was ok. Not sure how it got a cinema release or why it was made in the first place, but it's ok.' For that to be a Max Payne game, to me, is a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    How is PvZ "nuanced"? It introduces new towers with the precise purpose of countering whatever new threat a level presents. There's very little decision-making at all; I used essentially the same strategy with a few towers swapped out for every level. I'd be willing to bet that everyone else that played used the exact same strategy too. I still enjoyed it (because I'm a total sucker for tower defenses) but it was all a bit mindless if you ask me.
    Just acknowledged I've selected it as a tool for novices to learn time management and basic strategy.

Defence Grid is perhaps deeper better game, but you can bludgeon down many levels with exactly one tower type(cannon and gun are both candidates for this on many levels), but PvsZ forces you to use half a dozen different towers and mirrors 2 thirds of the rush boom turtle trinity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Nah, this still feels very much a Max Payne game. He probably gets more characterisation in the first cutscene (the horror!) than he does in MP1 or 2. MP3 is much more than 'ok'. Plus the plot is not nearly as much of a mish mash as the original 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Just acknowledged I've selected it as a tool for novices to learn time management and basic strategy.

Defence Grid is perhaps deeper better game, but you can bludgeon down many levels with exactly one tower type(cannon and gun are both candidates for this on many levels), but PvsZ forces you to use half a dozen different towers and mirrors 2 thirds of the rush boom turtle trinity.
    I have no argument that it's a great beginner's strategy game, just with your word choice. As far as non-WC3 tower defenses go, I think PixelJunk Monsters is my favorite, though of course that's a Sonybox exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I have no argument that it's a great beginner's strategy game, just with your word choice. As far as non-WC3 tower defenses go, I think PixelJunk Monsters is my favorite, though of course that's a Sonybox exclusive.
    Sure, nuanced was probably a bad word, I think I was looking for an alternative to layered.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Just finished playing about 3 hours of Tribes: Ascend with a friend. Very good fun. Rarely feels unfair, mostly feels satisfying. I can see how it can get a bit pay to win, but it seems fairly level so far. It makes a welcome departure from BF3 at any rate.