Page 345 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395445845 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,900 of 24102
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Holy shit, I think he gets it!
    You are just a ray of sunshine today.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I just realised I said the same thing as you. Damn it!

But the point stands that that competitive streak hasn't changed ever since gaming became a common entertainment form. Its always been there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You are just a ray of sunshine today.
    ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I just realised I said the same thing as you. Damn it!

But the point stands that that competitive streak hasn't changed ever since gaming became a common entertainment form. Its always been there.
    Small pond and big pond are vastly different in terms of how those competitive streaks play out. Once you start going into territory where you're no longer part of the same video-arcade crew, there's real problems afoot. Hence the complete and total asininity.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Small pond and big pond
    are vastly different in terms of how those competitive streaks play out. Once you start going into territory where you're no longer part of the same video-arcade crew, there's real problems afoot. Hence the complete and total asininity.
    True. But the larger the pond, the deeper that streak goes. Which is where the problem lies really, you either go with it or you don't. Its difficult to find any sort of a middle ground in anything that competitive - let alone MOBAs.

Its like sabrage said earlier, you either like it or you don't.

True. But the larger the pond, the deeper that streak goes. Which is where the problem lies really, you either go with it or you don't. Its difficult to find any sort of a middle ground in anything that competitive - let alone MOBAs.

Its like sabrage said earlier, you either like it or you don't.
    But there is. I was a frequenter of my local arcade - hell, I even lived in a Korean neighborhood and got my ass beaten many a time. But it's hard, hard, hard to be a complete ass to somebody when they're right there in front of you, not least of which because they can beat you up in real life. The competition isn't nearly as fierce, because even the most obsessive kid in the arcade had to eat sometime. The arcade eventually closed at night. Tomorrow was a new day.

Pull out all the stops, and you have a constant teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling dogpile that you have to actively ignore if you want to get any enjoyment from the game you're playing. Fighting against 40 or 50 regulars is one thing. Fighting against an endless sea of 50,000 is another entirely.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Like I said man, you either do it or you don't. Its a difficult genre in the first place so you need to be practical all the time virtually. Its been second nature to me for a while now and I suspect ever since I started playing.

I can't explain it better than that. I just get on with it and enjoy the game the best that I can. But playing with friends/clans definitely helps, a LOT.

I can't explain it better than that. I just get on with it and enjoy the game the best that I can. But playing with friends/clans definitely helps, a LOT.
    Which goes hand in hand with actively ignoring the greater community. Before, the most hostile thing I expected was the smell walking in. Now, it's more a constant barrage of troglodytes who haven't seen sunlight since Reconstruction. Sure, it's tolerable for those with the constitution, but... why bother?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Trying to get used to the cartoon logic of Deponia, since the last few adventure games I played leaned more towards a realistic edge in regards to the puzzles. Right now I've got around 12 items in my pack, and every time I get a new one I attempt to randomly combine it with all the other items just incase.

Err, to early to say much. It's very nicely drawn?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Trying to get used to the cartoon logic of Deponia, since the last few adventure games I played leaned more towards a realistic edge in regards to the puzzles. Right now I've got around 12 items in my pack, and every time I get a new one I attempt to randomly combine it with all the other items just incase.

Err, to early to say much. It's very nicely drawn?
    It's out already? Last time I check which was last week it was still for pre-order.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Yep. I was checking the status every week, and a few days ago on Amazon it was suddenly listed as available.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Yep. I was checking the status every week, and a few days ago on Amazon it was suddenly listed as available.
    Strange, the official website says release: August. What's going on here?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Hard Reset's free DLC is out. It has 5 new levels, new enemies, and a new difficulty setting. Haven't played it much yet, but it seems pretty good so far. Worth re-installing the base game for, I think (provided you liked the base game in the first place).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This thread is awesome, so many games I hadn't heard of or forgot about.

Anyhoo:
    Binary domain:
    +Best story in any third person shooter (not that that is saying much, but the story is good)
    Satisfying combat, nice art style.
    -atrocious excuse for mouse aim (it's just analog stick emulation)
    Great game, almost ruined by bad porting to pc, such a shame , but it's still better than all other 3rd person shooters combined.

Endless space: Was 63 turns in, the game tells me I've been defeated without explenation (I hadn't even met any AI ships or left my first galaxy), since I wasn't enjoying myself anyhow (it's just build order with bad UI : the game) I lost interest and uninstalled it.

Blacklight retribution : Still runs very poorly on my HD6870 for no reason, the netcode is the worst I've seen since crysis 2 mp (super laggy hit detection), and it plays a lot like cod.
    So cod with bad netcode and a wallhack feature... what a waste of time.

Assassin's creed : revelations: my brother came over and played this for a few hours, I only played it for a little while but watched him play.
    It looked like (and he said it was) identical to the previous games , same old boring chore simulator, it is prettier than the previous games though and supports AA so kudos for that at least.

Magic the gathering: duels of the planeswalkers 2013: Never played card games like this before , the draw seems in the different playstyles and strategies of all the decks. I get bored extremely fast of repetition so I don't think it'll entertain me past 1-2 games per deck.

World of tanks: I seem to keep going back to this game when I'm bored, it has a good learning curve that persists for thousands of battles, but they dumbed it down bigtime with the new crew perks in the patch.

Krater:

-random encounters on the overworld map are tedious and a big annoyance
    -the combat is rubbish , different than in other arpgs, still rubbish all the same.
    -towns have a great atmosphere, shame the dungeons do not.
    -itemisation is super boring as is crafting
    +the voice acting (mainly the accents) is entertaining

Shootmania:
    The movement gameplay is there , very different from other games though but it could be interesting.
    Only one weapon with no feel to it, not feeling much consistency in feedback from the shooting/hit detection either.
    It looks nothing like in the trailers and runs poorly on my pc for some reason.
    Not my cup of tea, I was expecting much more satisfying gunplay from an arena shooter.
    The UI is the worst of all shooters ever made:p The ingame chat is full of players trying to make sense of it.
    Last edited by Finicky; 12-07-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    If you want, I can give you some tips if you're still learning the basics. Just give me an idea of what you generally play or if you prefer to try everything there is. I can offer help either way. But if you like initiators then you've chosen a tough place to start. Initiators have arguably the hardest job in any team fight, starting it. You do it wrong your whole team is fucked. 8 times out of 10 you'll lose the fight.

I'll just pm you Initiator tips if you want. Easier that way.
    That would be fantastic, actually. Thanks! If there's something else you think I should switch gears to try, I'd love any advice you have time to offer. But for starters some initiator tips would be ace.

Thank you. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    Just finished Mass Effect 3, and I have to say it's an amazing game and great conclusion to the trilogy. I am glad that I purchased the From the Ashes DLC, even thought I feel that it's complete crap that it's priced separately as DLC. The content of that DLC is integrated so completely and fluidly into the existing story, and it is so DAMN GOOD, that I refuse to believe that having to pay for it separately as DLC was anything but a cash grab. If it was a truly separate set of missions from the main storyline, I would have accepted it as DLC, but this isn't like that. Frankly, what it adds to the game... I can't imagine playing this game through without it. So yes, I paid for it but now I can confirm that I fall on the side of the "FUCK YOU, EA" side of the debate.

In my continual effort to chip away at the backlog, I started up Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions. Very solid, fun game so far. Pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by kstress71; 12-07-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: corrected a mistype

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Just started playing Mass Effect 3, finally. By and large I'm pleased by the mechanical changes and narrative thus far. Despite that, what they did to EDI very nearly made me stop playing the game. I'm embarrassed to have anything to do with a game with that character in it, honestly. I mean, seriously, what the hell? Ashley's plastic surgery wasn't bad enough?

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Just started playing Mass Effect 3, finally. By and large I'm pleased by the mechanical changes and narrative thus far. Despite that, what they did to EDI very nearly made me stop playing the game. I'm embarrassed to have anything to do with a game with that character in it, honestly. I mean, seriously, what the hell? Ashley's plastic surgery wasn't bad enough?
    Don't worry, it gets lampshaded a lot and she doesn't nearly get the same male gaze treatment as Miranda (and also, thank god, she doesn't have the personality of Miranda either)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Don't worry, it gets lampshaded a lot and she doesn't nearly get the same male gaze treatment as Miranda (and also, thank god, she doesn't have the personality of Miranda either)
    Still, yeesh. With Miranda, well, it was a character I never liked so I mostly never saw her. With EDI it's a character I actually enjoyed, so it's a lot more jarring to have her turned into that.

Anyway, while I'm talking ME3 stuff, is it me or does the new quest log suck? When you were in the middle of a quest in ME2 you could open up the log and expand the current quest to see what you should be going at a given moment, it made juggling several multi-part quests relatively straightforward. With ME3, unless I'm missing a function, I get completely lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing all the time because it permanently displays the first step of any quest, and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Anyway, while I'm talking ME3 stuff, is it me or does the new quest log suck? When you were in the middle of a quest in ME2 you could open up the log and expand the current quest to see what you should be going at a given moment, it made juggling several multi-part quests relatively straightforward. With ME3, unless I'm missing a function, I get completely lost as to what I'm supposed to be doing all the time because it permanently displays the first step of any quest, and nothing else.
    No, you're right, quest logs just tell you that you're ON one, not what it entails. Just remember: Priority missions move the world forward, but they're not timed. Some things can be timed prior to, so if you have other pressing missions - whether N7 or <Planet>, try and do those first.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

No, you're right, quest logs just tell you that you're ON one, not what it entails. Just remember: Priority missions move the world forward, but they're not timed. Some things can be timed prior to, so if you have other pressing missions - whether N7 or <Planet>, try and do those first.
    Good to know, thanks.