Page 373 of 1212 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423473873 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,460 of 24234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Started playing Metro 2033 and so far, a little conflicted. I've removed the crosshair, changed the voice work to Russian (and put on subtitles, naturally) for that added immersion effect. After that, it all went a little iffy. I say after, what I really mean is during; the game wouldn't recognise KB/M inputs because my controller was plugged in. Because obviously if my controller is plugged in, I'm absolutely going to use it...Anyhow, I eventually got into the game.

At the moment, none of the guns I have feel like they deliver any impact. I'm not asking for my starter weapons to be good, but I am asking them to feel like guns that shoot bullets as opposed to water pistols that fire water. I really dig the atmosphere though and it's one of the few games I'll allow the excessive "HD is grey" to slip through. Unfortunately, fairly early on I encountered a stealth section that took me an hour to do properly because my throwing knives would either somehow miss the target or I wouldn't kill a person in the precise place that meant the other folks wouldn't immediately go "Ah, what was that sound? While there are many rats running about, how about we take our shotguns and shoot anything that moves." And then the screen starts throbbing red and it's all a bit annoying.

Perhaps it's coming from Serious Sam - and it probably is - but the lack of manual saving is weak, the inability to carry more weapons than you have slots for (ie. having some sort of inventory) is annoying and stealth sections can go screw themselves. Also, I dislike the game branding me some sort of heartless bastard (an achievement) because when given the choice to pay a kid to take me to someone over me exploring first and then choosing the latter, it wasn't because I wouldn't have happily given money to a hungry child, but because I want to damn well explore the area I'm in first. Nevertheless, I will continue. I get the impression though this will not be a long game, for better or worse.

On a side note, it does look very pretty in DX11. No idea on my FPS, I imagine it's low but I can't be bothered to check and it seems to be working well enough.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Disappointingly, Duels of the Planeswalkers will not reduce an enemy's life below -9999.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Also, I dislike the game branding me some sort of heartless bastard (an achievement) because when given the choice to pay a kid to take me to someone over me exploring first and then choosing the latter, it wasn't because I wouldn't have happily given money to a hungry child, but because I want to damn well explore the area I'm in first. Nevertheless, I will continue. I get the impression though this will not be a long game, for better or worse.
    I guess in some other games, paying the kid would cause the screen to fade to black and have you reappear at whatever sectioned-off area you were needed in. Were you expecting that?

What actually happens is that the kid simply walks you toward the quest-giver, and you're free to stay or leave from there. No impediment to your exploration whatsoever.

Alternatively, you can refuse to care about achievements, which makes the whole thing irrelevant!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Disappointingly, Duels of the Planeswalkers will not reduce an enemy's life below -9999.
    But then how are you supposed to kill them 500 times before they hit the ground?

OT: Still playing Fallout New Vegas, and I've found that lovely "Bethesda RPG" exploration groove that I love so very much. I hate playing back through old content, but by deviating from the proscribed path far more than I did on my first, aborted playthrough, I'm finding all kinds of fun stuff and having a lovely time. So far, at least, my mod loadout hasn't exploded in my face, either. I'm hopefuly I won't have the stability problems that made me stop playing when I got to New Vegas itself last time. With any luck I'll be at this, and enjoying myself, for a good long time to come.
    Last edited by vinraith; 31-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Spacechem, Atropos Station, Assignment 5: Accidents Happen continues to defy me. 70 symbols in, and I discover that it all falls apart once the second Phosphorous atom comes along. I'm going to be a hundred years old before I finish this game.
    Heh, I know that feeling. I'm just one step ahead of you, at the defense mission on the station but "Accidents Happen" is one of the few where I couldn't beat the average scores.

To add content, I'm going through the shorter games that i picked up during the Great Steam Sale of the Summer 2012. Space Marine is enjoyable, not much variety going on but the shooting and mashing feels good so I don't mind. I'm also playing a bit of Orcs Must Die with DX:HR in the queue.

As a sidenote, I found Revenge of the Titans to be really hard, never managed to get off Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    As a sidenote, I found Revenge of the Titans to be really hard, never managed to get off Earth.
    Stick at it, if I can remember correctly I'm on the 3rd area.
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    The JG Man: As far as I know, no stealth is mandatory anywhere in Metro 2033. It is an option, but you can always just shoot everyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post

At the moment, none of the guns I have feel like they deliver any impact. I'm not asking for my starter weapons to be good, but I am asking them to feel like guns that shoot bullets as opposed to water pistols that fire water.
    Aim for the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I played about a half hour last night and I don't think it's really for me. Either the waves are very manageable and I'm bored, or there are a lot of enemies and I'm frantic. I'll at least play through Earth to give it a fair chance. We'll see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Got off earth spamming missile upgrades... not a good game tbh, terrible balance.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I guess in some other games, paying the kid would cause the screen to fade to black and have you reappear at whatever sectioned-off area you were needed in. Were you expecting that? //
    Alternatively, you can refuse to care about achievements, which makes the whole thing irrelevant!
    More that it would trigger the next quest automatically, which I didn't want to do. Nevermind though. You're right on the second point, to some degree; I like achievements that make me play the game differently to how I would do or that otherwise achieve something worth pointing out, so in this case it's meaningless, but at the time I thought it was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    The JG Man: As far as I know, no stealth is mandatory anywhere in Metro 2033. It is an option, but you can always just shoot everyone.
    No, but stealthing a few dudes so that the shoot-out is far easier would certainly be better. Either that or rapidly use med kits, which I'm not prepared to do. The fact that moments before you'd picked up throwing knives that insta-kill when fired at someone's back was also a sign, I felt. Good to know for the future, when I amass better weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Aim for the neck.
    Noted.