Page 448 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448449450458498548948 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,960 of 22759
    Network Hub
    Stared playing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die and the game tells me I've put in 35 hours into it yet unfortunately all I have learned from this time is that ghosts are jerks.

Seems to me the only game which comes close to matching the moody feel and the immersive nail-biting fun is Thief 1.

I've been playing Day of Defeat: Source a lot recently. Mainly because I enjoy one particular weapon in the game. The Karabiner 98 Kurz rifle.

Super Meat Boy is the other game.

Oh, and I've also been playing Metal Slug X (ePSXe emulator).

I've been curious about Dark Souls recently. Should I get that or Skyrim this Christmas?

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Been playing a bit of Wizorb, and it is extremely frustrating. And not in the way that SMB is frustrating whilst remaining fun, it seems frustrating because of poor design decisions. It's hard to explain because the game is so rudimentary, but basically it seems like the devs started out wanting to make an old-school game and refused to learn any of the lessons we've learned in the past 20 years of video game developing.

I've played the same handful of levels about 5 times now because of the 'Continue' system, and I have no interest in playing them again. It's a shame, 'cause I want to like it, but they make that difficult.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    Stared playing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die and the game tells me I've put in 35 hours into it yet unfortunately all I have learned from this time is that ghosts are jerks.

Seems to me the only game which comes close to matching the moody feel and the immersive nail-biting fun is Thief 1.
    If you've only recently started the game and are frustrated with ghosts, go a different direction from he start. You may not be ready for that area.

Of course, I'm point this out only in case you're frustrated. If you're having fun, have at it :)

Either way, keep at it. It's a great game.

Network Hub
    Still loving Borderlands 2, of course. Also checked out Crusader Kings 2 for the first time. I'm kind of slipping under the surface at the moment, but hope to get some air soon :)

Just started my second playthrough of Alpha Protocol. On the first I was "I'm just a rookie, this is way over my head" Thorton, sloppy, but able to get the job done to some extent. This time I'm doing "Shouldn't have fucked with me" Vet Thorton, so I'll start all clean and tidy, and as they start messing with me I'll become more brutal, always keeping everything under my control, of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I finally died in my semi-hardcore Skyrim game, but fortunately rolled a 6 on my "what happens next" roll, so I live to fight another day!
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I finally died in my semi-hardcore Skyrim game, but fortunately rolled a 6 on my "what happens next" roll, so I live to fight another day!
    Youve intrigued me, sir.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Youve intrigued me, sir.
    The setup is this: Hard difficulty, food/drink mod, freeze-to-death mod. If I die, then depending on the circumstances of death, random bad things happen, but it's not necessarily game over, depending on the situation. Being killed by bandits results in permanent death or losing all valuable items; being killed by animals results in either permanent death or no effect (left for dead but surviving); being killed by orcs results in either pemanent death or losing all items that orcs would be interested in (martial stuff, mostly); being killed by Draugr results in being killed.

In this instance I was killed by a bunch of hired thugs who weren't necessarily ordered to kill me, outside the abode of a wizard I'd just helped, so I figured I had a chance of no bad effects if I rolled a 6 on a die (interpretation: the wizard heard the battle and saved me). Happily I was lucky, since I'm quite enjoying this character. Although not quite so much since Lydia got slaughtered by an unexpected overpowered Draugr Scourge when I was level 6.

I played this way a lot in Oblivion and had a lot of fun. Skyrim is not quite so good, because combat is more vicious so it's much easier to lose before you realize it's time to run. Oblivion was fairly forgiving. Also Oblivion had some fairly benign places to level. But I am still enjoying myself. The best I managed in Oblivion was level 17, then a pack of vampires who looked too much like bandits from a distance surprised me...
    Last edited by NathanH; 07-10-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    * No distinction between usable/unusable stuff. Especially bad with doors; hello "click on everything" gameplay
    The level design is filled with really nice ideas but fairly meh implementation in places, but its not all that bad and certainly picks up a bit once you start flying off around the other locations although its always fairly uneven and has too many corridors.
    The distinction on usable stuff I remember taking a little while to get used to other than doors which are always problematic, but I seem to remember the cursor has a spinning animation when something's usable, which made things a bit better.

Personally, I'm playing quite a bit of Mechwarrior Online and feeling disgusted with myself as a result.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Cool house rules
    Awesome stuff. I like coming up with little meta-rules and conditions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Despite having Max Payne 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution ready to go I was wary of being distracted by X-COM. So on the basis that I could no doubt put it to the side without feeling the need to start again, I've been playing Darksiders.

The game so far is satisfying, particularly the combat, though a couple of the bosses have leaned a bit towards the tedious side and lack the sheer silly inventiveness of the likes of a Zelda or a Psychonauts). The puzzling is pretty basic and the level design hasn't yet matched the best in its genre, but it's proving diverting enough.

I guess what will ultimately keep it as a decent game in my eyes, rather than a great one, is that I just don't find the aesthetics particularly interesting compared to the similar types of action game (though it's ahead of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within in that they don't jar with the subject matter) and it's hard to care much about War, he's just a bit of a boring bastard really. But, sometimes a bit of smashy, killy, sword based fun is just what I need for a little while.

Anyway just to throw a little spicy opinion in there to irk a few people, Darksiders is much, much more fun than Dark Souls.

Metro 2033 - got it for 5 bucks so what the heck.

Network Hub
    I can't believe howaddicting FIFA 13 is. I've never been a big fan of this game but after watchinga nice commentary from gamearena about it, I decided to give it a try. I'd sayI regret how come it took me so long to pick this game up.
    I think the gamedeserves massive praise not just from me but everyone who is familiar with thegame as well. It's the best $60 purchase I can make this year I guess. It'samazing how the AI reacts intelligently in the game. Unlike the previousfootball games I've seen a few years back, your AI teammates in this game willreally give you good passing options as they'll make good runs for youthroughout the game. The good thing I noticed is how my guys actually rantoward a rebound by the opposing goalie. Also, weird deflections and ricochetshappen.
    It is also needlessto say that FIFA has lots of gamemodes to choose from like friendlies, virtualpro, career mode, online play, and the beast called Ultimate Team. I amoverwhelmed by the array of choices in this game.
    I've heard somepeople say FIFA 13 has very good ball control compared to its predecessor. Ihave no way of comparing but I can say that this game is a dopey one. Realismseems to be given priority here as it can be difficult to get near-perfectfirst touches, and poor passes almost always leads to loss of control. It frustrates me at times because it makesthe game unpredictable, but at the same it adds a layer of excitement to thegameplay.
    Despite this, thecomplexity of the game makes it one of the finest sports simulation thisyear. Coupled with NBA 2k13, my sportsimulation package this year is now complete. Thanks FIFA 13!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    *hiss* Away, you EA shrill!

Football games don't really seem to do it for me anymore. Years ago I played the PES games to death on my *gasp* PS2 *shudders*, but after playing both PES 2013 and FIFA 2013, neither of them gripped me the way I was hoping. I'm not sure whether it's because they've become too realistic and I prefer arcadey footballers or whether it's because I'm not as comfortable with my XBOX 360 controller. Maybe I'm just crap nowadays. It seems the games always end up in some midfield stalemate with no more than 2 goals in a game. I miss the action from the olden days..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Might wanna check New Star Soccer 5 then; Too expensive in my opinion, but it's certainly more arcadey. It's graphics are 16bit, though, not PS2-era.

Wow. That actually looked kinda awesome. I doubt it will scratch that particular itch though. And no multiplayer. Found PES 6 for 29 SEK (~2.70) though, maybe that'll have to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    *hiss* Away, you EA shrill!
    Hey, isn't that the game that's getting flak because it's exactly the same game as FIFA 12?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Hey, isn't that the game that's getting flak because it's exactly the same game as FIFA 12?
    Which got flak because it was exactly the same game as FIFA 11
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.