Page 449 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 349399439447448449450451459499549949 ... LastLast
Results 8,961 to 8,980 of 24766
    I tried the Adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress after months of tending my fortresses until it all had FUN. I can't say how much the Boogeymen like to punch my kidneys out while I'm sleeping
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Booted up BF3 after grabbing it from amazon for £5,played a round in a dinky container yard shooting people up with the dao (I think I earned it by having copies of other battlefield games or something).

Nope!

Went back into the server browser (which I think secretly is in the browser for a 'I herd you like browsing while you serve' joke) and set conquest, 1-10 slots open, hardcore.

Despite the fact that I have nothing unlocked, auto detect settings are a judder fest and I don't have a clue about the map I end up on the middle of the scoreboard.

It's oddly liberating that I achieved this not though twitch skill but patience and awareness of kill zones.

Jury is out on whether I will persist but it's pretty even once you turn the pretty but information destroy motion blur off.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    Thanks FIFA 13![/FONT]
    EA SPORTS, ITS IN THE GAME!

DoW2 - there are 3000 people playing MP right now, thanks to the sale but I'll doubt it will last unless they stuck in that tower defence minigame DoW2 has, forgot how it's even called. I can't even imagine how hard it is for a new player to get into the competitive 1v1. It's probably frustrating because most people who still play this game have 1000+ hours in it. I doubt match making helps.

Anyway, here is a replay of a recent game I won, just wanted to throw it out in case someone interested. I rarely win against Chaos so it felt good. I had three looted Tanks by the end and his two Plague Marines only managed to kill one.

Here it is

I love DoW2 1v1, only game that makes me actually sweat, swear and feel anything( ie, satisfied but only when I win).

FTL - frustrating but addicting. made it to 4-th sector, died seven times. I'll try couple more.

BF3 Armored Kill - well, I failed to get into it, got killed by MLRS and AC-130 several times and went back to shooting people on old vanilla maps after suffering Karkand overdose. I disliked Karkand back in BF2, in BF3 I'm okay with it but enough is enough. Why didn't they remade Jalalabad instead? Why? I preferred it to both Sharqi and Karkand. About Armored Kill though, I don't think that BF3 works with such big maps, even Bad Company and it's later maps( harvest Day and Heavy Metal) felt better. Here it's just unfocused. Maybe 64 people is not enough.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 08-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Network Hub
    Playing Deus Ex: HR and it's really great... Except for the this little thing which is the boss battles. Stuck on the girl atm, and it's quite frustrating because I love the rest of the game. I play mostly sneaky combined will silenced headshots.

I honestly don't remember a single game where bosses improved my gaming experience. "Skip boss battle" should just become a standard option.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Playing Deus Ex: HR and it's really great... Except for the this little thing which is the boss battles. Stuck on the girl atm, and it's quite frustrating because I love the rest of the game. I play mostly sneaky combined will silenced headshots.

I honestly don't remember a single game where bosses improved my gaming experience. "Skip boss battle" should just become a standard option.
    I killed her with a handful of mines (find them complete or grenade+mine template) I had stripped from the environment, I also killed her once with nothing but the tazer by stunlocking her.

I finished the main story of Borderlands 2. I must say it was an absolute blast from start to finish, and I enjoyed it a lot.

It's strange that I enjoyed it much more than the first game (which I did like), given that they are so similar, but I just found the shooting to be that much more intense, and the story and characters to be a bit more engaging. The extra difficulty from the fights must stem from playing in co-op, because it seems to spawn a ton more 'badass' enemies than singleplayer, making each firefight a serious challenge. Great fun though.

Sadly we only managed to find one piece of legendary loot throughout our whole playthrough, which turned out to be useless because we weren't playing as the Gunzerker. Oh well.

GoG.com persuaded me to get Tomb Raiders 1, 2 and 3 last weekend (for $3.99 I could hardly resist). I am currently about half-way through 2... So. Much. Backtracking. I don't mind being given a bit of the run-around in an open world where it sets the mood or somewhere like Deus Ex where there are multiple paths, but going back and forward between switches that are needlessly in different rooms is getting a little tiresome.

Finishd Spec Ops: the Line yesterday. I really liked it. But I also like the misery and punishment of Dark Souls, so maybe I'm just weird. SOtL is probably the smartest "dumb shooter" I've ever played and keeps me thinking about the central theme of post-traumatic stress and cognitive dissonance. Also, it has a great soundtrack and some of the vistas were simply amazing.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Hey, isn't that the game that's getting flak because it's exactly the same game as FIFA 12?
    More or less, they keep adding a couple new features, updated engine and graphics and a more in-dept career mode.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 08-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    More or less, they keep adding a couple new features, updated engine and graphics and a more in-dept career mode.
    No, I mean exactly like FIFA 12.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    That's just the Wii version.

FIFA is stuck in some awful limbo between arcade game and simulation. Well, it's basically a sluggish, overly complicated arcade game that pretends to be a simulation even though player movement around the pitch doesn't resemble anything like proper football tactics. But the animations are very fancy.

New Star Soccer 5 is where the fun's at.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No, I mean exactly like FIFA 12.
    Oh, so it's not just the Vita version?

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    And the PSVita one; kinda. Vita didn't get a FIFA12, but it did get a "FIFA FOOTBALL" on release. FIFA13 is exactly the same game, with updated rosters.

Except for the lack of multiplayer. The game's good, but a sports game without multiplayer feels like it's missing an important part. Like it only has one arm.
    Last edited by Rauten; 08-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Woo! Beat my own high score at qrth-phyl. It's at 5395 now. Also at 100% corruption, whatever that means.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

FIFA is stuck in some awful limbo between arcade game and simulation. Well, it's basically a sluggish, overly complicated arcade game that pretends to be a simulation even though player movement around the pitch doesn't resemble anything like proper football tactics. But the animations are very fancy.

Yeah, my nephew had Fifa for the Wii and it's completely stripped bare with horrible controls and gameplay, the only thing that resembles the PS3 and Xbox version is its name.

Other console versions do get better with every release, They're small changes because there is not much room for change I think.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar

I can never call a football game a "simulation" one - unless you can play 90 minute matches and get a realistic score, which you really can't, as far as I know (unlike, say, the NBA2k series, or baseball games). I suppose they might be "football highlight simulators".

But yeah, NSS can be really fun, in a more RPGish sort of way (which is why I don't mind it lacking multiplayer).

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Continuing Anachronox...
    * So many pointlessly long and vapid tunnels. Whyyyy? Every time I'm sent on a quest on the other side of Nox I get increasingly annoyed...
    In case you didn't know, and are playing the GOG version, pressing the \ key speeds up the emulation by like 10x. It's really great for speeding down long corridors, soaring through long attack animations and skipping the incredibly slow elevator rides. Discovering it significantly increased my enjoyment of Anachronox. I haven't finished the game myself, but you should at least play until you welcome into your fold the most unexpected party member you'll ever gain in an RPG. I couldn't help but say something to the effect of "Wait, what?" when he/she/it joined my crew.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I killed her with a handful of mines (find them complete or grenade+mine template) I had stripped from the environment, I also killed her once with nothing but the tazer by stunlocking her.
    I had two praxis points so I put them in the Typhoon and that mostly solved it. I still think it's a shame in such a good game.

Activated Node
    I have been playing a lot of Sleeping Dogs in the last few days. It is surprisingly good and the side quest seems to be a lot more fun than SR3. My minor complaint is about the combat, it's fun but it fall down the same pit as Batman where mashing x and sometimes y seems to be the best way to go and most of the combo are useless (when in battle you only remember to mash x instead of tap hold tap tap). Also the game is very short for open world game, I've been playing for about 8 hrs and already more than half way through and that include a bunch of side stuff done.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I had two praxis points so I put them in the Typhoon and that mostly solved it. I still think it's a shame in such a good game.
    What a shame?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    What a shame?
    Oh, right. :) It's a shame they've put in the boss battles in such a good game. I don't think the game benefits from them, either in the way of action or in fleshing out the story.