Page 460 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470510560960 ... LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,200 of 22765
    Yeah, playing FF tactics, Disgea and Joan of Arc(?) in the psp is a bit troublesome. So Im suprise to see XCOM plays better with a controller.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It plays all right with a mouse and keyboard, it's just a bit annoying if you try to play with just the mouse.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I just tried Cortex Command and found it to be quite confusing. Will probably play some split-screen this evening, two confused people blowing stuff up is exactly my kind of fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    How did the Guard's campaign fare in this game?
    It's an odd one, if you were skilled with them in the multiplayer it would probably feel like you had a huge toolbox of units to approach the fights, but I just felt like I was spamming "replace soldier" and remember the campaign is the same for everyone. Retribution has 1 campaign and 6 sets of cut scenes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    I just tried Cortex Command and found it to be quite confusing. Will probably play some split-screen this evening, two confused people blowing stuff up is exactly my kind of fun.
    You'd love war... Hundreds of thousands of confused people and endless explosions. [/voice of fallout intro guy]

Network Hub
    So I've picked up my first playthrough of Dark Souls: Prepare To Die again after the novelty of the new XCOM wore off.

Dark Souls spoilers ahead:

I'm blundering and cursing my way through The Tomb of the Giants as of last night after having rung both bells using my lightly armored pyromancer who likes to wield the biggest two-handed fuck-off weapon he can find. The gameplay has devolved from punishing to being to being exactly akin to that of VVVVVV. I've respawned at the Giant Tomb bonfire for the umpteenth time now. There is nothing more fun then being unable to see past the length of your own halberd while trying to dodge blows from things capable of killing you in one or two hits all while trying to avoid the edges of unseen cliffs and the bastard giant arrows raining on you from some unknown location. Good fun.

Dark Souls really is awesome.

After some more runs with The Torus I think I'm gonna give up on FTL. I managed to build up a ship that was pretty close to the one which kicked the boss' ass. Only this time it was dispatched quickly, probably because I had to buy/hire so less scrap to spend (only 3 shields, although with the same evasion) and a slightly less experienced crew.

Was that my fault? I lost a couple inexperienced away party members in fights, but I can't do anything about the scrap or stuff I (don't) find(*). With a full run being over 2h, I was left with this bitter aftertaste that it's just a matter of dumping hours in it, going through the motions, until the planets align.

(*) and I can't see why augmentations can't be stored like weapons and drones schematics: if the slots are full and another one pops up, it's lost for no good reason.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    PES 2013

Qualifications for UEFA Champions League and i was leading with few wins on the scoreboard,then two mathces tied and voila,dropped to third place and was eliminated.. I can't believe that shit,one of those two matches i was leading whole time 3-1 then in the last 20 minutes i made stupid mistakes in defense and 3-3 at the end :S

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Was that my fault? I lost a couple inexperienced away party members in fights, but I can't do anything about the scrap or stuff I (don't) find(*). With a full run being over 2h, I was left with this bitter aftertaste that it's just a matter of dumping hours in it, going through the motions, until the planets align.
    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When I do get killed now, it's no longer a feeling of "Oh nooo!", or even of "What a shame," just "Screw this." I don't think I even want to unlock the crystal ship any more.

Roguelikes always run this gauntlet. Either it risks being too easy to solve or too based on luck or if real time too based on ability (cutting out less able gamers).
    It's a tough problem.

FTL just has poor balance and pacing IMHO. I like the idea and mechanics, but the design really needs more work. As someone who loves roguelikes and tough games, I found it bored me and lacked compelling strategic tradeoffs. Despite having permadeath and random encounters, it isn't very roguelike overall. It's more like the cardgame Munchkin, where you get the luck or you don't, and strategy helps but can't mitigate a bad shuffle. Serious roguelikes are won regularly through good play, and most have deep resource management subgames and no difficulty modes. FTL is comparatively shallow and very slow to play. I doubt I'll go back to it unless there's some major design revision.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Finally cleared some space on my drive and installed Dark Souls last night. Setting up/sorting out GFWL took about 30 minutes... sigh. I then proceeded to die on the training boss six times in a row with just the tiniest fraction of progress to show for it each time, so I quit and turned to the Internet for help. There I found some philosophizing about the game: that it is not your friend, that it is totally out to murder you and make your life difficult, and that this permeates everything about it. And at that moment GFWL made perfect sense.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    And at that moment GFWL made perfect sense.
    I laughed. It all makes sense now.

The thing about that first boss and almost all of the other things to kill is that once you get the hang of dodging and striking around their attack patterns they become a breeze to deal with and many of the meanest looking bosses that smack you around like a ragdoll can fall shockingly fast to the right movement and attack patterns by the player.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Finally cleared some space on my drive and installed Dark Souls last night. Setting up/sorting out GFWL took about 30 minutes... sigh. I then proceeded to die on the training boss six times in a row with just the tiniest fraction of progress to show for it each time, so I quit and turned to the Internet for help. There I found some philosophizing about the game: that it is not your friend, that it is totally out to murder you and make your life difficult, and that this permeates everything about it. And at that moment GFWL made perfect sense.
    But it's like a person, once you get to know him you can consider it your best friend.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    There I found some philosophizing about the game: that it is not your friend, that it is totally out to murder you and make your life difficult, and that this permeates everything about it.
    Welcome to Dark Souls. Hope you enjoy Anor Londo.

Network Hub
    I actually jumped and shouted "oh f**k!" at the turning point in Reasonace. If you've played it you'll know what i'm talking about and it was extremely well done. Bravo adventure game bravo.

In other news i just found minecraft in Borderlands 2.

The Gauls should've accepted my more than generous offer and become my protectorate, they don't want to be my lapdogs? Then I'll feed them to the dogs of war! The greatest army of this age shall march upon the ashes of Gaulish cities!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    So I've picked up my first playthrough of Dark Souls: Prepare To Die again after the novelty of the new XCOM wore off.

Dark Souls spoilers ahead:

I'm blundering and cursing my way through The Tomb of the Giants as of last night after having rung both bells using my lightly armored pyromancer who likes to wield the biggest two-handed fuck-off weapon he can find. The gameplay has devolved from punishing to being to being exactly akin to that of VVVVVV. I've respawned at the Giant Tomb bonfire for the umpteenth time now. There is nothing more fun then being unable to see past the length of your own halberd while trying to dodge blows from things capable of killing you in one or two hits all while trying to avoid the edges of unseen cliffs and the bastard giant arrows raining on you from some unknown location. Good fun.

Dark Souls really is awesome.
    Did you do Sen's fortress?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Did you do Sen's fortress?
    No, I noticed the door was open at one point but couldn't muster up the courage to do more than stick my head in the door. Not after what the blacksmith said about the place anyway.

I'm think I'm safe in guessing it's far worse than what I've seen so far. Good times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Actually, you're supposed to go to the Tomb of Giants after Sen's Fortress.