Page 585 of 1239 FirstFirst ... 854855355755835845855865875956356851085 ... LastLast
Results 11,681 to 11,700 of 24778
    Activated Node
    Just finished up another big dark souls session. That game has me hooked so badly right now, just got into anor londo, good times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, XCOM, why do you make me strip all the equipment off a soldier who I'm removing from the active squad?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You're making me want to play NWN2.

I will never forgive you for this.
    It's a great game which suffers slightly from Gillens Syndrome: it's not like it takes several hours to get good but there is a lot of filler dungeon in the first ten hours of play (ie. Act I).

OT: Finished FarCry 3 and damn it that was an incredible game. It's the FPS I've been crying out for since FC2 and was a pleasure to play through. The only things I disliked were: forced stealth sections (not many but one was very annoying); Heavy Enemies (could not bring these fuckers down unless I could use a Takedown or just threw C4 at them); and perhaps, maybe, jury-still-out-on the size of the second island, which just felt a bit bigger than it needed to be for the amount of game left once you get there. Everything else in the game more than makes up for these though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    It's a great game which suffers slightly from Gillens Syndrome: it's not like it takes several hours to get good but there is a lot of filler dungeon in the first ten hours of play (ie. Act I).
    Hmm, I thought the game was generally superior at the beginning, because at about level 10 the mechanics break completely. Basically, 3rd edition is very buff-heavy and with no resting restrictions and in particular unrestricted Stoneskin on anyone you like, the game devolves into a long series of encounters that assume you're at full capabilities, encouraging and at some stages practically mandating that you rest and recast all your buffs again and again and again. The game really requires some sort of auto-buff on rest. This tends to be true of any 3rd-edition-based game, of course, apart from things like Knights of the Chalice that make significant changes to fundamental mechanics.

Also, the game seemed to have some sort of aggro-like AI without any aggro-management options, which is always tedious. I don't want to be running my mage around in circles for the whole encounter just because I wanted to cause a fun explosion, thank you very much. I don't even care whether it's best play for the AI (which it probably isn't), it's just annoying.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    The gameplay of Neverwinter Nights 2 just isn't, well, good. It takes all the worst aspects of the DnD system and combines them with bad AI and limitless resting. The reason most people prefer the latter parts to the beginning is because the story at least somewhat makes up for the combat, whereas in Act 1 almost nothing interesting happens. In Act 2 you have the trial and the Stronghold in between the forgettable fights and Act 3 has at least one fun battle when doing Khelgar's sidequest.

And of course there's Ammon, who, as Casimir rightfully points out, is straight up ballin'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    The gameplay of Neverwinter Nights 2 just isn't, well, good. It takes all the worst aspects of the DnD system and combines them with bad AI and limitless resting.
    Yep... I cant stand to play NWN2, that and the camera that makes me feel like I have a bad neck.

I'm sick of munchkining my way though these games, I swear I prefer regenerating health to a powernap after every battle.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

For me the early game of NWN2 is characterised by Old Owl Well. That area did not need two damn orc-filled dungeons which are filled with traps and magical triggers that spawn orcs all around your party.
    The whole act just drags: Fort Locke has dungeons and bandit camps to bog you down; then you get to Highcliff and think it's Neverwinter time but ohnonono, you have to go fight some undead and maybe some lizards; then it's Neverwinter time. NW itself is pretty fun to begin with but some of the faction quests can be brutal. Constant sneak attacks if you side with the Guards or getting swarmed by greatsword-wielding guards if you go with the Thieves. Then the fucking Githyanki quests appear so I hope you like being lightning bolted by some cunt mage who sits at the back of the room. And this is all mixed in with Old Owl Well, some abandoned Dwarven hold; hippie druid lake place and more.

But as fiddlesticks said in Act 2 you get the trial, and so much of that act just kicks ass, then the stronghold comes along in Act 3. The combat can also still be pretty challenging especially if you lay off the broken Rest mechanic. I find the higher level combat more fun as you usually have more choice: getting your ass kicked at low level you can either keep knocking back potions and hope for some luck or stand in doorways to cheese fights; at higher levels your casters won't be out of spells after a few minutes and they'll have a wider repertoire to pick from.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    But as fiddlesticks said in Act 2 you get the trial, and so much of that act just kicks ass
    It was a pleasure working with Severus Snape. The talky trial is just bliss next to the non-stop clunky combat, I'm starting to get bored by the mere memory of act 1.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I never finished NWN2. I was heading into the end sequence but I had an absurdly overpowered monk that slaughtered everything and it got dull. Then I accidentally accepted a quest that required taking Elanee with me. NO TURNING INTO A BADGER IS NOT BLOODY USEFUL EVER.

Storm of Zehir is cool though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The combat can also still be pretty challenging especially if you lay off the broken Rest mechanic. I find the higher level combat more fun as you usually have more choice: getting your ass kicked at low level you can either keep knocking back potions and hope for some luck or stand in doorways to cheese fights; at higher levels your casters won't be out of spells after a few minutes and they'll have a wider repertoire to pick from.
    Managing how much munchkining to hold back doesn't sound fun. Either games don't need it and I can just cruise, or its no holds barred and a desperate scrabble.

I need to just power play through it, I'm never going to enjoy the combat am I?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    How is using a doorway cheating? Using your environment to even the odds is a core aspect of tabletop gaming.

That being said, combat in NWN2 (core) was rather crap. But Mask of the Betrayer (or whatever) was really fun because, as mentioned, you have a lot of options. Never played Storm of Zehir.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Not really enjoying Trine 2 was much as I remember enjoying the first one, but I'm pretty sure if I replayed it the same sort of things would annoy me.

It's a pretty good game but it sometimes veers a bit too wildly from easy to annoyingly finicky. I also think it's another of those games where the path of least resistance saps a bit of the fun out of things. I basically always use the wizard to do mostly anything with the other characters just for hitting things (occasionally the shield can be handy and occasionally they put something in so it's quicker to swing across a gap than build something).

The only thing that's elevating it above the first for me is that it's prettier. Maybe would be a bit more enjoyable played co op, hard to tell really.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    How is using a doorway cheating? Using your environment to even the odds is a core aspect of tabletop gaming.
    I mainly think of it as cheesing/cheating because the AI isn't good enough to get around it. It feels like picking on kids from the shortbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It's only really fun (for me at least) when you create a character who can just fuck everything up. It might take a little while to get to that point, but you can feel it happening the entire time. So when you have that Sorcerer/Arcane Scholar/Eldritch Knight or Swashbuckler/Weapon Master or Cleric/Stormlord/Warpriest* who can wreck the entire field by themself, you get to experience a great power trip. Only applies if you like that sort of thing - I know some people only enjoy the feeling of fragility in gaming.

*much of the fun comes from planning the build beforehand

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    The only thing that's elevating it above the first for me is that it's prettier. Maybe would be a bit more enjoyable played co op, hard to tell really.
    I think there's an option which allows you and your partner to be the same character, and if it's on the game is broken. Me and my bro wizarded our way past every obstacle. I'd construct a box, he'd jump on it, I'd levitate him across the obstacle. He'd then do the same for me on his side.

It's easy to say 'well don't do that', but hard to resist when the time comes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So I've just played Kentucky Route Zero, and it was incredibly satisfying.

One question, though: does it end rather abruptly, or did my game crash out? Because it just unceremoniously quit to the desktop after the scene which I thought was the end anyway [spoilers]right after you find route 0 from the farmhouse[/spoiler]

NWN2 party influence system isn't great when it comes to trying to change your companions opinions or perhaps show them the error of their ways. Any disagreeing with them will earn you Angry Points with that bunch of petulent children. The only real exception is [spoiler if unplayed] Ammon Jerro, who is straight up ballin'.
    Like so many things MotB made this much better, although it did not make it easy to do. You had to know the companions to be able to see which options would lead to changing their hearts and minds, whether your reasons were noble or manipulative.

Surprised you're not looking into Stormlord: get yourself a good spear, Monkey Grip (to use spear+shield), stock up on buff spells and you become an invincible killing machine who can throw out a few offensive spells when needed.
    I was thinking about Stormlord at first but I didn't want to follow some no-name deity. The whole anti-undead feats and boni also come in handy during the campaign and it later helps me with picking Epic Divine Might.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Managing how much munchkining to hold back doesn't sound fun. Either games don't need it and I can just cruise, or its no holds barred and a desperate scrabble.

It really depends in NWN2. It's the main problem of 3rd edition D&D that divine casters (cleric, druid, spirit shaman,can go toe on toe with most dedicated melee characters while still having a foot long spell list to turn a battle around.
    If you want to have the most fun, you gotta play as one of those classes.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been playing Planescape Torment. Got to Pharod. Very much enjoying it this run through now. I go into it whenever I'm pretty much in a book reading mood, but just want a smidge more interactivity. The easy combat, for this reason, is actually a blessing for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Going back for more XCOM in a few. Last night a really great mission was wrecked by a camera that insisted on centering on the far corner of the map. Otherwise it's slowly crawling up my top 10 since 2006 list.

been having fun in Dota2 lately. Southeast Asia server is a bit empty though, I have only enjoy 2 PvP match. The rest is bots.
    Last time I played Dota was 2 years ago in a cybercafe after school and my skill still as shallow as ever.

Also, Kunkka is a beast. Early game, ofcourse

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I decided to hold off on some of the new games I got over Christmas and finish some of the stuff I was playing, so I plowed through the final 4 levels of Thief: Deadly Shadows---which completes my first ever play through of the Thief series (huzzah for actually completing games that you buy!)

Can't say I love Deadly Shadows, but it wasn't as awful as some people let on. It more or less plays the same as the originals, the only difference being that there are no rope arrows (boo!) and the levels are tiny compared to Thief 1 and 2. The levels are really what kills it, though, as the massive levels were the best parts about Thief 1 and 2, so without them it just kind of felt more like a medieval hitman game than a Thief game.

Plus, the Unreal 2 engine (written, I assume, with XBOX memory limitations in mind) really sucks. All the levels are divided into hubs and loading takes FOREVER. Like at least a minute, which can get tedious when you are running around in the open world sections of the game.

Otherwise, like I said it's not awful. The plot was above average for a Thief game and "The Cradle" level was kind of interesting in the way that it presaged stuff like "Amnesia." It was fun while it lasted, despite the loadtime headaches, but it really never rises above "mediocre" as far as stealth games go. I even thought that some lower budget stealth games, like Death To Spies were more interesting and original than this one.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-01-2013 at 09:21 AM.