Page 599 of 1179 FirstFirst ... 994995495895975985996006016096496991099 ... LastLast
Results 11,961 to 11,980 of 23574
    Network Hub
    Hey, I didn't want to kill them. I just really wasn't good at getting people on my side. I kept misreading the dialogue choices!

Also, when did I side with the fascists ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Also, when did I side with the fascists ?

"All mages should be locked up in a tower!"
    "Let's addict our recruits to drugs so that they can't leave our order"
    "You have expressed a magical talent and aren't in a tower. Prepare to die!"
    "Well, one guy went a bit crazy, so let's slaughter everyone"
    The fact that they go on so many crusades that they have fun terms for them
    And let's not forget that they are just the militant arm of the church that basically controls the entirety of the "civilized" world and largely ensure power through murder and indoctrination.

Did you just not pay attention to any of the lore? Or dialogue? I mean, if you want to argue that the church is a necessary evil feel free, but they are pretty messed up.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    Just finished Mass Effect 2, with everyone surviving the suicide mission. Can't wait for a sale to buy the third game... D-:
    I believe the game's cheaper on retail than in the Origin Store at the moment but can be wrong.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I believe the game's cheaper on retail than in the Origin Store at the moment but can be wrong.
    Nah, thanks for the info, but I'll have to be able to hold back until a sale shows up... >.< Don't know if I should buy the second game's DLCs, though. They are really appealing...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Hey, I didn't want to
    But you did​.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

"All mages should be locked up in a tower!"
    "Let's addict our recruits to drugs so that they can't leave our order"
    "You have expressed a magical talent and aren't in a tower. Prepare to die!"
    "Well, one guy went a bit crazy, so let's slaughter everyone"
    The fact that they go on so many crusades that they have fun terms for them
    And let's not forget that they are just the militant arm of the church that basically controls the entirety of the "civilized" world and largely ensure power through murder and indoctrination.

Did you just not pay attention to any of the lore? Or dialogue? I mean, if you want to argue that the church is a necessary evil feel free, but they are pretty messed up.
    To be sure the chantry was messed up, but by that point I didn't know the full extent of their activities, and all of the mages had become abominations which kind of necessitated me killing them.

In any case, whatever, its a game. And yeah, I was not good at it, and constantly ended up causing situations that I didn't foresee.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    To be sure the chantry was messed up, but by that point I didn't know the full extent of their activities, and all of the mages had become abominations which kind of necessitated me killing them.

In any case, whatever, its a game. And yeah, I was not good at it, and constantly ended up causing situations that I didn't foresee.
    Except for the mages who weren't. Which was the whole point of you going in in the first place, otherwise the tower would have had the equivalent of a nuking.

In fact, of the "decision points", I found the Tower to be one of the most straightforward. There was a distinct "bad" and "good" choice. "Bad" is killing everyone, even though they all seem normal. "Good" is giving them as close to a clean-bill-of-health as they are ever going to get.

As opposed to "Do I support the usurper or the incompetent?" and "So... murderers or assclowns?"

I am tempted to do another run of DA:O at some point. I've been considering Baldurs Gate, but I kind of really want to replay DA:O and maybe even give DA2 another shot.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexClockwork View Post
    Nah, thanks for the info, but I'll have to be able to hold back until a sale shows up... >.< Don't know if I should buy the second game's DLCs, though. They are really appealing...
    I would definitely recommend Lair of the Shadow Broker, which was excellent. Arrival was less good, but is the key link between the 2nd and 3rd games, so it's probably worth getting and playing before getting the 3rd game.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzog View Post
    Have been trying Dungeons of Dredmor yesterday for the first time... Is it recommended getting the other two DLCs in the beginning or should I get some more playtime with the base game?
    I can't say entirely from personal experience, as when I bought the game I got Realm of the Diggle Gods. Conquest of the Wizardlands effectively gives you a much larger inventory, with a few restrictions, which is really handy for crafting in particular. Both paid expansions add content; the extra dungeon levels in Diggle Gods can be toggled on and off at the start of each game. Basically, I'd go for the expansions if you're enjoying the game, but it doesn't have to be right away.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It turns out that the game is actually ludicrously easy on classic with the Random Stats and Marathon second wave options enabled, unfortunately, so my time in that campaign has been pretty much wasted because there is really no conceivable way that I can lose now.
    Well. Now I feel a bit rubbish at Xcom. (I've only been playing with Random Stats so far though, not Marathon)

Wow. I try to enter an arcane address in Dredmor, which then crashes the game on account of a missing texture. Steam then gives me an achievement because the game crashed, and when I start it up again it refuses to let me in the dimension it just booted me out of.

For a game that's supposed to be a gentle introduction to roguelikes, it is frustratingly buggy.

Re-installed World of Tanks again, played a few battles, ooohed at the prettiness and new tanks, then realised its even more grindy than I remembered and even joining the SEA region means that I still have high ping. Will uninstall again alas

Network Hub
    Coming across therecent news about the release of DayZ and Arma II developers from Greek jailmade me think of playing DayZ. After a little consultation with friends, Imanaged to get a hold of the game.
    I could not believethe learning curve was that hard though. After running around the fictionalRussian state called Chernarus for three hours, I finally met my first death inthe game. Escaping the beach alive was morethan enough victory for me. I was able to pull myself free from bloodied armsgrabbing me and managed to lose my pursuers in the dark thickets. But not after inflicting mortal wounds on me, andafter taking some time how to use a bandage, my character was bleeding out.
    The first lesson thegame tells you is to stay out of sight. This I did, but another critical lessonis to find an excellent defensible position immediately after firing a shot asit attracts hordes of undead right away. This game teaches lessons the hardway, but in a fun manner.
    The third-personcover-shooting perspective is especially useful for me as it gives a bettersituational awareness.
    Overall, the DayZ isterrific survival game. I say this is one of the most enjoyable games I haveplayed so far.
    Sometimes, it's abit frustrating though when hackers get in the way by doing some session-endingexploits. I know the developers are doing something about minimizing thesehacking exploits but at times they can get really annoying.
    But just the same, Iwould recommend this game to anyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Conquest of the Wizardlands effectively gives you a much larger inventory, with a few restrictions, which is really handy for crafting in particular.
    The Pocket Dimension should be available in the base game AFAICT. The size of the inventory was really stupidly limited before.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    For a game that's supposed to be a gentle introduction to roguelikes, it is frustratingly buggy.
    I'm afraid Dredmor has always been chock full of bugs, just take a look at their changelogs - but in the few hours I had with it, I never had any showstoppers.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    XCOM. The bugs are getting noticeable, and annoying. I fly a unit with archangel armor on top of a SHIV, and the SHIV can't move for the rest of the mission. I grapple to the roof of a corridor on an alien ship, and I can't reposition the unit on the roof, even though it is bordered by a blue line and I can run across it to jump back down. I don't like being invited to be tactically creative only to be held up by stupid bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    XCOM. The bugs are getting noticeable, and annoying. I fly a unit with archangel armor on top of a SHIV, and the SHIV can't move for the rest of the mission. I grapple to the roof of a corridor on an alien ship, and I can't reposition the unit on the roof, even though it is bordered by a blue line and I can run across it to jump back down. I don't like being invited to be tactically creative only to be held up by stupid bugs.
    Well, at least you don't have any aliens teleporting into the middle of a firefight.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Finished Dragon Age:Origins and Awakening. Oh boy, the combat drags on forever and there's very little challenge even on nightmare. And it didn't play nice with my 64x Windows 7 and kept crashing every now and then. I thought the game had more in common with the first Mass Effect than with Baldur's Gate and the like for some reason, even without the dialogue wheel.

Overall, I don't think it was bad, but I'm bored of the Bioware mechanic of you have to gather allies = go to each of their places and solve all their problems before they commit. This has been done much better in Mass Effect 3, in Dragon Age you are helping Elves who can't kill a few werewolves .. but they commit an army to your cause. Oh, they say, we are going to call the other clans! Well why didn't you call them when you were about to get wiped out then, you idiots. I guess I'm just annoyed when the reason the guys can't help me is a thing they could have fixed if they actually had the ability to help me.

Then started Dragon Age II, because I wanted to see if I was too harsh on my first try, quitting after prologue. Let's just say I wasn't. I think I'll preorder the third, because whatever they do, it can't be worse than this. I mean, they learned from ME 2 and put some customization back and the combat is good enough that you can actually have fun playing multiplayer. So at least they are trying... a bit.

I think the real problem with Dragon Age 2 is the stupid camera that you can't zoom out to control the battlefield. Then some guys spawn behind you and kill your mages. They tried very hard to make it like 3rd person action game but failed, hard.I understand the guy is telling a story and you're playing that so it doesn't really need to be realistic but the anime style combat animations is another thing I disliked.

But I will finish it, because I have a few days at home with no work ( or money ) so it's not like I have anything better to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Finished Bastion last night, incredible game. Reminded me of many things, but the most prescient I think was Pixar’s Up. Both are tragic and discuss heavy issues in a way which is neither maudlin or po-faced. Both are touching without being cutesy or saccharine. Both are more or less tonally perfect, with not a moment wasted, and use various motifs (visual and audio) topowerful effect. Both are truly excellent examples of and exercises in powerful story telling.

*** Spoilers if you haven’t played through Bastion follow***

I also was blown away by the manner in which Bastion examines war. That it did it all was a surprise to be honest. I would never have expected anything like that through looking at screenshots or hearing the synopsis of the game. You expect to be saving some princess or something but end up navigating the path to war and genocide instead.

Unlike other games which focus on the immediate violence and personal moral implications, Bastion casts it as something which destroys society as we once knew it. It is a...well, a calamity. Nothing is the same after. The world is reshaped. But the further you go towards the frontier the more you uncover the past and see how war and expansive greed seemingly defined Caledonian society,how this came to pass, how the senseless makes sense.

It’s a fusion of the ordinary, prejudice, beauty, culture, constant violence and elemental destruction. It doesn’t ask that you register that it’s sad or point like a lecturer at how very bad it all is either; the sadness and devastation and waste is inherent in the game itself and its protagonists, it’s inevitability inherent in the fact that almost every instrument you can interact with has been designed to help cultures better kill each other. The narrator talks about weapons and what they can do with a candour which you don’t find in many other games. Most other games don’t make a big thing out of a sword or a gun, as they’re part of the everyday gaming vocabulary,nothing special. Bastion lingers over the destructive capabilities of it’s arsenal and then goes on to indicate that these aren’t there for you to get through a fairy tale and splat baddies but relics of a violent culture who used them with regularity and with pride, and who designed them with such in mind. A society where nobody bats an eyelid at a kid defending the frontier against the nation’s enemies. As you progress all you see of Caledoniais greed and war and hubris and inevitable conflict. And all this is told through incidental dialogue and narration and exploration and interaction. Sophisticated themes told with clarity and detail in a way which is also very specific to videogames.

Blows the histrionics of the like of Spec Ops and other WARRR games out of the window in regards to why people kill each other in my opinion. It isn’t enough to just show people killing each other while talking about how bad that is in isolation-there’s nothing bold or insightful in that. Few people doubt that it is bad and unpleasant. What’s scary about war isn’t that bad things happen-bad things happen all the time- it’s that something happened to make the perpetration of so many bad things an understandable consequence, that we ever got to that position in the first instance, that war could ever be considered as something worth pursuing. Bastion does all that, with the subtlety and assurance that makes it’s own war seem so rational in the first place. It presents intesnely warlike civilisations who are nonetheless defined by far more than being militant somehow. Just like most warlike powers in history in fact.
    Last edited by sonson; 22-01-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Soo... did you evacuate or you trap yourself in a time loop?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Soo... did you evacuate or you trap yourself in a time loop?
    : )

Evacuate. Not really sure why. I did what felt like was the hardest thing to do, as though that's a reliable barometer for making that sort of decision. I agonised over it for a while, likewise with the earlier choice. What it came down to I think was following someone else's voice for the first time. I'm not sure why that made sense to me, just did. I was unsure about the narrator after a while. Liked him, but didn't trust his judgement. Quite happy to spend the rest of my days with his bourbon soaked tones though.