Page 643 of 1167 FirstFirst ... 1435435936336416426436446456536937431143 ... LastLast
Results 12,841 to 12,860 of 23338
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Just started first play through of New Vegas, with a generous helping of mods to make it more of a survival sim. Feel like I will be playing it for the rest of my life. It's enormous. 16 hours in and only done about three quests. Really enjoying it though, and it feels like it hasn't even started. So far it's been like a deer hunting simulator with conversations and small scale gang warfare.
    Stare into the eyes of your undoing

Fallout_New_Vegas_Cazador_2.jpg

...and then you realize that cazadors are based on real animals that are known to kill their prey in the most gruesome way possible.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Rome: Total War taught me that elephants are organic tanks/bulldozers.
    Indeed.

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    ...and then you realize that cazadors are based on real animals that are known to kill their prey in the most gruesome way possible.
    Ah, the gift of bearing a child.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Just started first play through of New Vegas, with a generous helping of mods to make it more of a survival sim. Feel like I will be playing it for the rest of my life. It's enormous. 16 hours in and only done about three quests. Really enjoying it though, and it feels like it hasn't even started. So far it's been like a deer hunting simulator with conversations and small scale gang warfare.

Which mods are you using ? i also started game 2 days ago and didn't do any quests so far,just keep wandering around killing stuff.

Here are my mods,

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Started playing Metal Gear: Revengeance: Deshi Basara today. Loving every second of it. It is basically what you would expect from a game starring "the" Cyborg Ninja. Pretty much all the "Holy freaking crap" moments of the entire Solid series in playable form.

A few battles are pretty painful though, but i have yet to find one that isn't fun. It is definitely not "hard but fair", but I would say it is "Hard and batpoop insane"

And in PC news: After realizing Crysis 3 was coming out this week, I started finishing up my re-run of Crysis 2. Have to say, I actually LIKE the aliens in that one. Weird, I know. But they are a good way to provide fun heavy mooks. Rather than fighting norks in nanosuits for some reason (or those god damned squids), you just get heavily armored foes who will still go down if you fire a burst or two into their skulls.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Unlocked Crysis 3 using a VPN and finished the first two levels in three hours (the 2nd took me more than two hours).

I'm as impressed as the first time I played the Crysis demo. It's MINDBLOWING. Words can't express how well it plays and how beautiful it is.
    Unless it takes a nosedive in the next five levels it will end up better than the first.

Plying Risen 2 these days, a game that I almost pre-ordered a year ago and now I'm glad I didn't. It's not a bad game but it should have been in the development a little more.... Graphics can be gorgeous one moment and awful the next (especially animations. The worst I have seen lately). Fighting is good and engaging, but can be very unresponsive at times and many times I died because I kicked instead of rolling... You start the game with a companion and than, for now apparent reason, she "leaves the party" and now I can't complete side quests because the fights are too difficult to handle by myself, so I am forced to continue to the next location...

The character building looks interesting but it's very hard to make a choice, since the game is heavily hinting towards a certain direction (swords and thievery) and punish you if pick a different direction. Buying skills from trainers (a good idea) is very expensive and without pick-pocketing and lock-picking skills you'll find gold can be a very rare thing. But picking those instead of sword-fighting can make questing and exploring impossible to do. Especially after your companion leaves you without a warning...

Risen 2 should have been a great RPG, but maybe it was too big and ambitious for it's own (and it's developers) good.

Dwarf Fortress and now building fort #1321543354211 for the glory of the mountainhomes! It looks like my last broker, whom I I'm not sure whether she is trained in crossbows, had killed a giant cave spider on her own while she was webbed. It's pretty sad that she didn't make it alive, oh she fought hard. Well, time to put her to rest in a golden Sarcophagus in the tombs in the 40th floor

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Stare into the eyes of your undoing

Fallout_New_Vegas_Cazador_2.jpg
    And pull out automatic. Shoot. SHOOT HARD
    Last edited by Voon; 20-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Dwarf Fortress is one of those games I really wish I could play. Isn't there another version in the works for people who can't translate Matrix-code, or did I just imagine that?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Which is why I'm glad I live somewhere those things could never survive in.

Though I bet they'd find a way, just to spite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    And pull out automatic. Shoot. SHOOT HARD
    And pray, don't forget to pray.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Dwarf Fortress is one of those games I really wish I could play. Isn't there another version in the works for people who can't translate Matrix-code, or did I just imagine that?
    I believe you can get mods and graphic packs for it. It won't make it look amazing, but it stops it from looking like Matrix-code as you say.

Yes, yes you did just imagined that :)

But seriously now, get a graphics tileset modded into the game with this. It might help you go easy on your eyes
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Indeed.

Just be careful you don't run in to invisible mice, or it's your army under their stompy feet.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Which mods are you using ? i also started game 2 days ago and didn't do any quests so far,just keep wandering around killing stuff.

Here are my mods,

Iíve got quite a few mods which I installed with the following goals in mind:

1. Make the game harder, because Iíve heard that itís better that way and not much of a challenge out of the box
    2. Make the game look better, because itís the definition of fugly out of the box
    3. Add extra content that will enhance the experience without breaking the game or changing it too much

So for Option 1)
    Playing on Hard Difficulty, Hardcore Mode
    Project Nevada with XP nerfed at 66% gain. I think this was maybe too severe starting out in hindsight but now Iíve got a grip of the systems and mechanics I think it will prove to be a good balance between challenge and reward. At level 5 about 16 hours in I can kill most enemies I encounter with planning but am easily crippled if Iím not careful or facing more than 2 or so enemies, or something obviously higher level.
    Reload Mod-Highly Recommended. Requires that you manually reload your guns when empty, and switching between weapons doesnít reload them either. Havenít played it without this but I suspect it would feel far more gamey without it. It means you have to plan your fights tactically and spontaneous fights are far more tense and frantic as a result.
    I ignored everything I got at the start with the Ultimate Edition, just dropped it, as it seemed pretty OP compared to the stuff I was picking up in the game proper

Option 2)
    NVE Shaders
    Project EVE, which improves FX and Physics
    Nevada Skies, which adds weather cycles, with a darkness adjuster to make nights properly dark
    NMC and Poco Buneo Textures
    New Veags Redesigned, to de-Bethesda faces
    Electro City, to add lights to night-time
    NV Interior Lighting to make in doors gloomy and more atmospheric
    A few Weapon reload animations
    HD Blood Texture
    Weapon Rexture Project
    Dust Particle Retexture
    Dyno Vision and Imaginator to try and add some personality to the Wastes
    Darnify Text to shrink fonts and HUD display in game

Game looks Hi-Res across the board for the most part and crisper, as well as more moody and characterful. Can't say it looking any better given the nature of the engine.

Option 3)
    Several of the ďUncutĒ episodes
    Clint Eastwood ďMan with no nameĒ outfit
    Duster Armour
    A few suits of Power armour
    A few other outfits and costumes
    A big Backpack
    3rd Person Fix
    Companion Sandbox
    Mojave Music Radio
    Play my own MP3 Radio mod, with some choice blues stuff, Deadwood Soundtrack, some Tom Waits, various Sons of Anarchy songs
    CASM save system

There's some other stuff there but it's nothing major, just tweaks here and there. Game crashes every few hours or so, could probably fix it with a better load order but it only takes about 30 seconds to get back into playing so I don't really care. I thought about adding some of the extra encounters stuff but so far the ratio of expanse to monsters feels pretty good. I donít want the wastes to be crawling with life or full of stuff in places that arenít/werenít obviously inhabited, for the sake of immersion.

I'm not Level 5 and a half, focussing on Guns, Speech and Lockpicking as I figure the latter two will be necessary to "unlocking" as many parts of the game as possible, if it's like any other RPG. So far Iíve ďsavedĒ Goodsprings (does Sunny just disappear or am I missing her? She survived, although Cheyenne didn't :( ), rescued Primm/Beagle and got him to clear out Bison Steve with me, sprung a man from prison totally arbitrarily deciding not to make him Sheriff anyway, stole a museum artefact, done a load of hunting, visited Mojave Outpost and installed the NCR into Primm, fixed ED-E and am now on the way back to Goodsprings to get fixed up for concussion. I have to work out if I want to go on to the Caravan Cass told me about or go to Novac first. Any suggestions anyone? Also, can someone explain whether karma does anything I need to care about?

I have no problem playing roguelikes with ASCII graphics, I actively dislike most graphics tilesets because of their crappy looks AND they often make it harder to tell what I'm looking at. Didn't make a difference for DF.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    For the people playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, these nVidia tweaks are worth looking into, they make the game look fairly nicer. Although my 560ti couldn't handle that 4x Sparse Grid thing, I had to lower it to 2x.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For me it is not the ASCII graphics that make roguelikes annoying, it is the lack of a good mouse interface. I can't be arsed learning all of the arcane commands and interface interactions. I want to be able to mouse over something and be shown information about what it is, and so on. The ASCII graphics are not really bad at all because they allow you to put a lot of different stuff in your game and not worry about what it looks like.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    For me it is not the ASCII graphics that make roguelikes annoying, it is the lack of a good mouse interface. I can't be arsed learning all of the arcane commands and interface interactions. I want to be able to mouse over something and be shown information about what it is, and so on. The ASCII graphics are not really bad at all because they allow you to put a lot of different stuff in your game and not worry about what it looks like.
    Yeah, I don't understand why people immediately grab their pitchforks when someone talks negatively about how DF looks and plays. I personally don't like ASCII that much, but I could live with it... provided that there's a proper UI! Which, frankly, doesn't seem to be the case with DF. I mean there's basically no user interface at all.

Bad graphics isn't a game-breaker. Bad UI is, and that's why I'm glad the '90s are gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand why people immediately grab their pitchforks when someone talks negatively about how DF looks and plays. I personally don't like ASCII that much, but I could live with it... provided that there's a proper UI! Which, frankly, doesn't seem to be the case with DF. I mean there's basically no user interface at all.

Bad graphics isn't a game-breaker. Bad UI is, and that's why I'm glad the '90s are gone for good.
    Back when you used to get print outs to overlay your keyboard for all the different commands you had to input.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    For the people playing Euro Truck Simulator 2, these nVidia tweaks are worth looking into, they make the game look fairly nicer. Although my 560ti couldn't handle that 4x Sparse Grid thing, I had to lower it to 2x.
    I discovered that my trucker minions - which are surprisingly balanced gender-wise - are oddly restricted by their roaming patterns. They have a "home base," where they will find a job that originates from their home base, and then, upon reaching their destination, attempt to find a job that returns them to their home base. If they cannot locate one, then instead of taking a profitable job to a third location, they will deadhead back at my expense.

Because of this, my top driver, who has exactly the experience I do and two thousand more kilometers on the road, makes about a third of the money, largely because he keeps doing the Milano-Zurich loop with a deadhead every three runs whereas I go Milano-Zurich-Luxembourg-Amsterdam-Edinburgh-Cambridge-Calais-Lyon-Innsbruck-Mannheim-Milano or, y'know, whatever works.

In that most manshoots have given me a creepily comprehensive knowledge of modern automatic firearms, this game seems to want to teach me the ins and outs of trucks. Well, European tractor trailers, anyway. No Peterbilts, Kenworths, Freightliners, Macks or, indeed, any trucks that don't have a cab-forward design. It's like you care about parking them more than driving them. Or to put it another way, you built your trucks to handle your countries. We built our country to handle our trucks.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen