Page 644 of 1166 FirstFirst ... 1445445946346426436446456466546947441144 ... LastLast
Results 12,861 to 12,880 of 23314
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Iíve got quite a few mods which I installed with the following goals in mind:

1. Make the game harder, because Iíve heard that itís better that way and not much of a challenge out of the box
    2. Make the game look better, because itís the definition of fugly out of the box
    3. Add extra content that will enhance the experience without breaking the game or changing it too much

So for Option 1)
    Playing on Hard Difficulty, Hardcore Mode
    Project Nevada with XP nerfed at 66% gain. I think this was maybe too severe starting out in hindsight but now Iíve got a grip of the systems and mechanics I think it will prove to be a good balance between challenge and reward. At level 5 about 16 hours in I can kill most enemies I encounter with planning but am easily crippled if Iím not careful or facing more than 2 or so enemies, or something obviously higher level.
    Reload Mod-Highly Recommended. Requires that you manually reload your guns when empty, and switching between weapons doesnít reload them either. Havenít played it without this but I suspect it would feel far more gamey without it. It means you have to plan your fights tactically and spontaneous fights are far more tense and frantic as a result.
    I ignored everything I got at the start with the Ultimate Edition, just dropped it, as it seemed pretty OP compared to the stuff I was picking up in the game proper

Option 2)
    NVE Shaders
    Project EVE, which improves FX and Physics
    Nevada Skies, which adds weather cycles, with a darkness adjuster to make nights properly dark
    NMC and Poco Buneo Textures
    New Veags Redesigned, to de-Bethesda faces
    Electro City, to add lights to night-time
    NV Interior Lighting to make in doors gloomy and more atmospheric
    A few Weapon reload animations
    HD Blood Texture
    Weapon Rexture Project
    Dust Particle Retexture
    Dyno Vision and Imaginator to try and add some personality to the Wastes
    Darnify Text to shrink fonts and HUD display in game

Game looks Hi-Res across the board for the most part and crisper, as well as more moody and characterful. Can't say it looking any better given the nature of the engine.

Option 3)
    Several of the ďUncutĒ episodes
    Clint Eastwood ďMan with no nameĒ outfit
    Duster Armour
    A few suits of Power armour
    A few other outfits and costumes
    A big Backpack
    3rd Person Fix
    Companion Sandbox
    Mojave Music Radio
    Play my own MP3 Radio mod, with some choice blues stuff, Deadwood Soundtrack, some Tom Waits, various Sons of Anarchy songs
    CASM save system

There's some other stuff there but it's nothing major, just tweaks here and there. Game crashes every few hours or so, could probably fix it with a better load order but it only takes about 30 seconds to get back into playing so I don't really care. I thought about adding some of the extra encounters stuff but so far the ratio of expanse to monsters feels pretty good. I donít want the wastes to be crawling with life or full of stuff in places that arenít/werenít obviously inhabited, for the sake of immersion.

I'm not Level 5 and a half, focussing on Guns, Speech and Lockpicking as I figure the latter two will be necessary to "unlocking" as many parts of the game as possible, if it's like any other RPG. So far Iíve ďsavedĒ Goodsprings (does Sunny just disappear or am I missing her? She survived, although Cheyenne didn't :( ), rescued Primm/Beagle and got him to clear out Bison Steve with me, sprung a man from prison totally arbitrarily deciding not to make him Sheriff anyway, stole a museum artefact, done a load of hunting, visited Mojave Outpost and installed the NCR into Primm, fixed ED-E and am now on the way back to Goodsprings to get fixed up for concussion. I have to work out if I want to go on to the Caravan Cass told me about or go to Novac first. Any suggestions anyone? Also, can someone explain whether karma does anything I need to care about?

Tell me men,how do you deal with deathclaws,i was sure i can take them but i bearly killed one with help of 4 other people ..So what i want now is to find some companion,maybe some animal one. This is my ultimate quest :|

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Tell me men,how do you deal with deathclaws,i was sure i can take them but i bearly killed one with help of 4 other people ..So what i want now is to find some companion,maybe some animal one. This is my ultimate quest :|
    You've two options.

1) Go play Fallout 3 where Deathclaws are a joke and you can kill very easily.
    2) Man up! Level up! Attack them from behind with a high powered weapon and hope to god it scores a good critical.

In all seriousness depending on your playstyle Deathclaws can be an absolute nightmare in FO:NV, but they're meant to be. If my memory serves right there's an entire village full of them. Eventually they can become too easy again, but only if you're not using mods.

What I would attempt to do at lower levels is one, just avoid them, but failing that, attempt to slow them by shooting their legs and then blind them. Then either run or try finish them off.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You can't in the beginning, you have to come back when you ve leveled up a bit. in FV you cannot go and take on every enemy from the beginning. Especially Deathclaws are like bullet sponges. I never survived encountering more than one, let alone that whole family in the Quarry. I spent all the ammo I had (for every possible weapon) and still nothing... Go do something else and come back later.

Also there is a midget Deathclaw somewhere in the game.

edit: yeah or what was said above...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I discovered that my trucker minions - which are surprisingly balanced gender-wise - are oddly restricted by their roaming patterns. They have a "home base," where they will find a job that originates from their home base, and then, upon reaching their destination, attempt to find a job that returns them to their home base. If they cannot locate one, then instead of taking a profitable job to a third location, they will deadhead back at my expense.
    Yep. With that in mind, I've been following a plan to level my other drivers. They need to have at least one point in long distance when I hire them so that they can at least go somewhere. But after hiring, I don't train them in long distance right away - I make them specialize in one type of cargo (ADR, high value, etc.), let them get 4 ranks in that, and *then* I train long distance. I find that doing that broadens the offers for them, and make them less likely to come home empty. After they get some 4 ranks in long distance I just switch it to balanced and leave them be. It's working well for me.

I've been having a blast playing The Showdown Effect with friends.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I I have to work out if I want to go on to the Caravan Cass told me about or go to Novac first. Any suggestions anyone? Also, can someone explain whether karma does anything I need to care about?
    I think I went to Novac from there but you can always see if the caravan thing might net you some loot from bodies.
    Karma influences some relations in the game and some dialogue options:

People will behave differently toward you depending upon your Karma, and it's also a factor to unlock certain dialogue options or to be able to do something specific.
    from http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Karma

Omg i just discovered perk "Cannibal",you can eat meat from dead corpses and get health back haha,this is awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    dead corpses
    Only in video games is this phrase not redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yep. With that in mind, I've been following a plan to level my other drivers. They need to have at least one point in long distance when I hire them so that they can at least go somewhere. But after hiring, I don't train them in long distance right away - I make them specialize in one type of cargo (ADR, high value, etc.), let them get 4 ranks in that, and *then* I train long distance. I find that doing that broadens the offers for them, and make them less likely to come home empty. After they get some 4 ranks in long distance I just switch it to balanced and leave them be. It's working well for me.
    Nah, Long Distance first. Short runs aren't at all profitable - Who cares if you get plus or minus $200 every six hours? - and long runs, by comparison, are so fantastically profitable as to render all issues of costs - wages, fuel, deadheading - moot. I'd rather my guy make $6k on one trip daily than barely cover the cost of his truck on four trips daily.
    Last edited by Nalano; 20-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing Far Cry 2 recently. Here's my rant on it.

It's a very interesting game. It's too long, and its message conflicts with how much fun it is. This is supposed to be a serious game, so that means no fast-travel, but they purposefully drag you over the map for each mission so that you can see the country you're destroying. That's fine once or twice, but its just tedious when you have two missions from the exact same person in the exact same place on the other side of the map in a row. They make beautiful models of plants and wild-life only to put an ugly-ass yellow color filter over the entire game. The shading is inconsistent because they want the jungle to be dark and the plains to be washed out, but this just means I have to adjust my gamma all the time.

They did a lot of things impressively, especially for the time. Animals and plants are beautiful. The way fire spreads is awesome. The adobe villages are cool. Driving feels real (until you fix the thing by tightening the same lugnut over and over). The TB works for a while (should have ended it after the first chapter). The weapons have a visceral feel (not as good as Metro, but what is?). Rocket Launchers are appropriately cumbersome, IEDs look cool and are fun to use, the knife combat is great (especially the finishing stab). The mercs have distinct personalities, and are generally well-written and terrible. Injuries are perfect, especially the way enemies shoot you from the ground or get up if you don't finish them off, and how you have to treat severe wounds first before you can stab yourself with morphine.

The problem is that they built this beautiful, quasi-realistic country, and then filled it up with absolutely nothing. It's like playing an artsier version of Just Cause 2 without the explosions. It doesn't trust the player enough to provide freedom / true exploration, it certainly doesn't create a living world, but it sets the ground rules of the world really well and provides so many nice touches. It's a worthwhile experience, but once its done, I'm deleting it and never playing it again.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out what the radio towers are for.
    Last edited by Internet; 20-02-2013 at 04:48 PM.

I put 5 hours in to FC2 and didn't saw any animals :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I've been having a blast playing The Showdown Effect with friends.
    Got it as well but wasn't able to find a match.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Got it as well but wasn't able to find a match.
    From what I've read the game is region restricted by what you have selected as your steam download region.
    Change it to somewhere were there could be more players and it might work.

I only played with Project Nevada which generally makes you a bit squishier but there isn't much of a strategy against deathclaws. There isn't really level scaling like in Fallout 3 and they remain powerful enemies to the end. They have lots of health, high armor, are lightning fast and their attacks ignore armor. Even with endgame stats and gear a regular deathclaw will be able to kill you in a couple of hits. Oh, and they usually come in packs.
    Their only weakspot is that they have no ranged attacks so your best bet is to either attack from very far or from a spot where they can't get to you.
    When it comes to weapons, you really can't cut any corners here. The most obvious choice here would probably be the anti-materiel rifle with AP or explosive rounds - high range, accuracy, damage and armor penetration. Set up a sneak attack with a headshot and it might just kill the deathclaw with a single round. The regular sniper rifle works, too. After that there's the unique rifles like Pacienca or the Medicine Stick that can do the trick as well. The famed Bozar is also a decent choice as well as the All-American. Of course, you can always resort to the gatling gun but I think armor breaching rounds for those are somewhat rare.
    If you use pistols, it's a bit more difficult. If you can get your hands on the elusive ranger sequoia, use that one and if not, Lil Devil or a regular 12.7mm, a hunting revolver or the High Roller (I think it's only in PN) can work. If you played through Honest Hearts then use A Light Shining in Darkness, naturally.
    For energy weapons, it's mostly the same as for rifles. Use max charge cells and your best bet is the energy equivalent of the anti-materiel rifle: the gauss rifle or it's unique variant, the YCS.
    There's also the ridiculous laser commander perk that turns the already surprisingly powerful laser rifle, when fully modded, into one of the best weapons in the game. Additionally, it turns the gatling laser into a death machine and probably the best weapon against deathclaws (and everything else, really) at close-to-mid range.

Or you could just do it my way.

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I can't be arsed learning all of the arcane commands and interface interactions.
    They might look that way to you but there actually are only a couple of keyboard control schemes (Rogue/netHack and Moria/Angband). Although minor games use slightly different arrangements, when you get the hang of the basic system, it's basically a one-time investment - and one requiring a negligible time compared to the 2+ hours step-by-step youtube tutorial that is needed to start making mistakes in DF. Roguelikes have also had extensive in-game help systems for decades now.

The problem with DF is simply its insane degree of complication. DF fans love it for that exact reason. And I'm totally fine with that, only the idea of an approachable version of Dwarf Fortress appears to be just a pipe-dream.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

What about this approach,could you sneak past them with good sneaking char ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    They seem to have extraordinary senses, I had to use a Stealth Boy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I've been playing Far Cry 2 recently. Here's my rant on it.
    Radio towers give assassination missions where the target will be either in a Location (ie. one with it's own map) or, more often, in the ceasefire town thus requiring a quick kill and running like fuck. For this you get 10 diamonds and more lost humanity as you accept the missions without another thought.

Give that visual mod a go sometime and see what you think of the game without the filter. There's a mod about it on the forums here somewhere. It makes the dark areas incredibly so (dense jungle canopy gives similar light as nighttime) while greens are now distinct. I liked it as a change, but liked the original look too.

As for fast travelling, I'm assuming you aren't using the buses out of principle rather than not knowing about them? Sure they aren't exact fast travel but they can make things quicker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Radio towers give assassination missions where the target will be either in a Location (ie. one with it's own map) or, more often, in the ceasefire town thus requiring a quick kill and running like fuck. For this you get 10 diamonds and more lost humanity as you accept the missions without another thought.

Give that visual mod a go sometime and see what you think of the game without the filter. There's a mod about it on the forums here somewhere. It makes the dark areas incredibly so (dense jungle canopy gives similar light as nighttime) while greens are now distinct. I liked it as a change, but liked the original look too.

As for fast travelling, I'm assuming you aren't using the buses out of principle rather than not knowing about them? Sure they aren't exact fast travel but they can make things quicker.
    I didn't find buses that much faster than going around the edges of the country. I also didn't know about the humanity meter, and some times when I try to turn jobs down the door is closed (like the destroy the medicine kilns mission). I hate how far away from the main city the second bar is.

I put 5 hours in to FC2 and didn't saw any animals :(
    Lots of zebra and antellope in the safari parts. Also some birds I believe. I guess they didn't get around to putting jungle animals in the other parts. I would love giraffes, lions, and elephants.
    Last edited by Internet; 20-02-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished Metal Gear Deshi Basara.

Its no MGS4, but it was definitely fun and I am eagerly anticipating DLC (or just a replaying). Very obvious it is a side story, but still an enjoyable one.

For those who were wondering: I beat it in about 10 hours, but I suspect someone who is actuallly good at the twitchy-actiony games would be able to beat it much faster. But pretty much all 10 of those hours were gameplay, so I am cool with it.

Will get back to Crysis 2 later so that I can start Crysis 3.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.